• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030 C or 8330 A

Miguelón

Hello, I’m hesitating between Genelec 8030 C or going to the SAM version 8330 A.

Is the GLM software worths the extra money? As my room is not treated I think the answer is yes but I want the speakers to classical music and digital piano speaker, not mixing. But anyway, flat response will be wellcome…

Some other recommendations? My listening room is 9 m2, I consider also the Neumann KH 80 as it have nearly frequency extension as 8030. Neumann 120 ii seem to go too low for my poor acoustics even with MA-1 corrections…

nocturne

If you aren't needing multiple subwoofers, it's an excellent solution that does it's job quite well. I have the 8330A + 7350A with GLM and I love it, I just hope that Genelec adds multi-subwoofer support to future releases of GLM so we get subwoofer calibration in a similar fashion to MSO. If you do end up with a SAM supported speaker, get the GLM kit, otherwise there is no real advantage over the analog speakers other than the built in DAC.

OP
M

Miguelón

If you aren't needing multiple subwoofers, it's an excellent solution that does it's job quite well. I have the 8330A + 7350A with GLM and I love it, I just hope that Genelec adds multi-subwoofer support to future releases of GLM so we get subwoofer calibration in a similar fashion to MSO. If you do end up with a SAM supported speaker, get the GLM kit, otherwise there is no real advantage over the analog speakers other than the built in DAC.
Thanks for your advice! Did you use digital or analogue connector? I’m a little obsessed by the conversion A-D and again D-A by the 8330, is the sound quality affected?
My piano has TS outputs and my interface XLR, no AES/EBU signal in the horizon…

spamilton

If it's only for listening and playing piano, I would get the 8030C. I had the 8030C prior to my 8341, and the value is extremely good with the 8030C. I could go back to them and be very content. If you have money to burn and want the best, go with the Ones.

OP
M

Miguelón

If it's only for listening and playing piano, I would get the 8030C. I had the 8030C prior to my 8341, and the value is extremely good with the 8030C. I could go back to them and be very content. If you have money to burn and want the best, go with the Ones.
Too expensive for my pocket!
For instance I will consider 8030 C and forget the 8330 as probably don’t need super fine room compesations…

This reduce my options to 3 possible speakers: Genelec 8030 (good value for money), Neumann KH 80 (possibly easier to fit my room) or making and effort Neumann KH 120 ii (great Amir review and enough onboard filters for my purposes without need of MA-1)

G|force

Forum Donor
I think it would be fun to set up one 8330 with GLM and try to replicate the response on one 8030 using the dip switches. It's probably been done but I've never read that it has.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think it would be fun to set up one 8330 with GLM and try to replicate the response on one 8030 using the dip switches. It's probably been done but I've never read that it has.
You wouldn't get very far with DIP switches alone. GLM can do way more.

OP
M

Miguelón

I think is possible under certain conditions: most of the GLM or MA-1 filters I’ve seen on youtube in my little research before burning 1 salary month on a pair of Genelecs are probably replicable by -2 dB low shelving filter and the -4 dB desktop filter.

But single spikes around 100 Hz (I have a big one very remarkable as I hear on my Kaway piano speakers) for example cannot be properly compensated. I will probably annihilate some neighbor keys in the process…

nocturne

Thanks for your advice! Did you use digital or analogue connector? I’m a little obsessed by the conversion A-D and again D-A by the 8330, is the sound quality affected?
My piano has TS outputs and my interface XLR, no AES/EBU signal in the horizon…
If you have SPDIF, you could use an inexpensive Neutrik NADITBNC-M (or apparently in really short distances, just an RCA to XLR cable will work) If your piano offers optical out, you can convert that to AES using a Hosa S/PDIF Optical to AES/EBU. I personally run full digital otherwise it would be unnecessary conversion from analog > digital > analog.

OP
M

Miguelón

If you have SPDIF, you could use an inexpensive Neutrik NADITBNC-M (or apparently in really short distances, just an RCA to XLR cable will work) If your piano offers optical out, you can convert that to AES using a Hosa S/PDIF Optical to AES/EBU. I personally run full digital otherwise it would be unnecessary conversion from analog > digital > analog.
My piano does only offers MIDI out (but I don’t want to use the computer, call me Neanderthal for that), and Line Out. My worry was about the interface to listening but no problem there as you said!

I have somewhere a DAC with optical output, I remember, and also SPDIF. I just have to try the cable as the distance will be about one meter, and if not works use the Hosa!

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom