• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec UNIO Audio Monitoring Platform and 9320A Reference Controller

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company

Genelec to launch UNIO Audio Monitoring Platform and 9320A Reference Controller at IBC​

UNIO_PR_Image_1.jpg

New 9320A Reference Controller provides a single touch point to Genelec’s UNIO Service Platform, plus a wealth of integrated in-room and headphone monitoring features.

Iisalmi, Finland, September 2023...Genelec, the global leader in professional monitoring solutions, has chosen the upcoming IBC exhibition in Amsterdam to unveil the 9320A Reference Controller as a bridge to its brand new UNIO Audio Monitoring Service Platform. UNIO brings together all the benefits of Genelec Smart Active Monitors, GLM 5.0 calibration software and Aural ID 2.0 technology to create seamless integration between professional in-room loudspeaker and headphone monitoring services. With flexible connectivity, a reference grade headphone output and tactile hardware control of Smart Active Monitors, GLM and Aural ID, the 9320A provides a compact and exceptional hub for both static and mobile professional audio monitoring applications.

At the heart of the UNIO platform is Genelec’s range of Smart Active Monitors, which utilise auto-calibration and cloud computing to enable the production of accurate, reliable mixes that translate consistently to other rooms and systems. For professional headphone users, Genelec’s Aural ID technology provides a completely personal and truthful headphone listening experience with the natural sense of space and imaging provided by good in-room monitoring. By combining a calibrated Smart Active Monitoring system and professional headphones with Aural ID, the user can enjoy mixes that translate reliably between monitors and headphones – for a smooth, uninterrupted workflow.

UNIO_PR_Image_3.jpg

Now, with the introduction of UNIO and the 9320A, users can integrate these technologies and services via a single intuitive mobile desktop device, and view the entire system via the user’s own MyGenelec account. As a bridge to UNIO, the 9320A offers management of multiple Smart Active Monitoring systems from stereo to immersive and beyond, and comes complete with a factory-calibrated reference microphone to allow automated system calibration and control of key GLM software features.

The 9320A can control up to three separate monitoring systems plus headphones, and each system can operate at a calibrated listening level, according to EBU R128, ATSC A/85 or SMPTE RP200 standards. While the 9320A can support any active loudspeaker system – such as one or two ALT stereo sets – it crucially provides instant one-click access to a vast number of extra monitor control features built into Genelec’s Smart Active Monitoring family.

The reference-grade headphone output of the 9320A features excellent linearity and dynamic range, and allows users to combine their choice of professional quality headphones with the latest Aural ID 2.0 headphone plug-in. Users can therefore experience accurate, reliable and completely personal headphone monitoring while simultaneously measuring sound exposure, to ensure safe listening.

UNIO_PR_Image_2.jpg

Additionally, the 9320A allows integration with any DAW or audio interface, and with its analogue, AES/EBU and USB connectivity, the 9320A can connect directly to stereo monitoring systems (with and without subwoofer), providing monitor control and doubling as a high quality A-D and D-A converter for both monitors and headphones.

The introduction of UNIO and the 9320A also coincides with the latest GLM 5.0 loudspeaker manager software release – which provides support for both the 9320A and the flagship 8381A free-standing main monitor unveiled earlier this year. GLM 5.0 employs sophisticated cloud computing, enabling UNIO to effortlessly integrate a range of reference audio monitoring services, including intelligent room analysis, in-room system calibration, monitor control and fully personal audio monitoring.

Heralding the launch, Genelec Managing Director Siamäk Naghian comments:

“Audio professionals in music, broadcast, post-production and game audio are increasingly wanting the flexibility to work wherever and whenever they want, even if that sometimes involves unpredictable and challenging acoustic environments. To be able to switch instantly between well calibrated in-room and headphone monitoring without any interruption in workflow is crucial to this way of working, and so we see UNIO and the 9320A as powerful tools in creating a truly next-generation reference quality monitoring system.”

Visitors to the IBC exhibition can experience the complete UNIO platform – including the 9320A Reference Controller – on Genelec’s booth, 8.A61.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
this is obviously targeting pro market

but for the Genelec SAM home users, would hav been nice if the controller was powered over ethernet (POE). Wireless + battery probably asking too much.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if GLM 5.0 would be compatible with all 83XX series monitors, it's not entirely clear from this news, they way they phrased it suggest that only 9320A and 8381A would use it

Last edited:
OP
I

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wonder if GLM 5.0 would be compatible with all 83XX series monitors, it's not entirely clear from this news, they way they phrased it suggest that only 9320A and 8381A would use it
Naturally it will support every existing Smart Active Monitor and subwoofer.

RobL

Does this controller perform the same functions that the GLM kit do?
ie) do I need the GLM kit if I have this?

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
It would be great if the remote can sync together with the volume knob.
Was thinking the same thing. If the knob is motorised, it could also sync with the onscreen volume control in GLM.

Also keen to know whether the headphone output can drive the Expanse well enough.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Was thinking the same thing. If the knob is motorised, it could also sync with the onscreen volume control in GLM.

Also keen to know whether the headphone output can drive the Expanse well enough.
I.E. when volume adjusted on screen or via remote, the motorised volume knob could sync its position to match. Hopefully it has this feature.

mkt

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
considering the GLM kit cost more than half of that and this contains it while adding a whole lot more I would say it would be a bargain. At this price it would even makes sense to add it to a simple stereo setup with 8330s and use it as a output interface connected straight to the computer. But I don't have my hopes up for this price

Last edited:

Filio45

Besides the headphone amp (which I don't need), what actual benefit would the 9320a bring for me?

I run a single pair of 8330a, hooked up via AES/EBU from a Matrix DDC, and controlled via the 9101A remote, which is responsive and reliable in use. I usually have GLM open on my windows PC desktop as I listen to music, it being a nearfield desktop arrangement.

The physical rotary control would be nice to use but not essential. The BASS M button would have been very useful but I no longer use a SAM (or any other) sub in this set up. If the 9320a provided any control of EQ, or even a simple bass/treble adjustment like on the RME remote, then, yes, that would be useful indeed. I am constantly making tonal adjustments with EQ APO, via my mouse, which is sometimes a bit tedious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom