• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

niloiv

I just tested it out. plugged into mic jack of the pc and promptly recognized by the system, but it won't pick up any sound.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tested it out. plugged into mic jack of the pc and promptly recognized by the system, but it won't pick up any sound.
Probably pin out is proprietary. Maybe if you insert it half way or such tricks?

The system just checks to see if a contact is made when the pin is pushed in but does not check for signal.

YSC

Major Contributor
did you try on the PC mic input and see if it's muted or so?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have to say this is not a great tree to bark up considering you can get a mic for $2

Trell

Major Contributor
I would have to say this is not a great tree to bark up considering you can get a mic for $2

On the other hand, if you have it, why not use it in a pinch if you need to? As for regular mic for video conference usage I would not use it as the noise is probably very high and it's an omnimic that has some drawbacks for voice use.

kthulhutu

On the other hand, if you have it, why not use it in a pinch if you need to? As for regular mic for video conference usage I would not use it as the noise is probably very high and it's an omnimic that has some drawbacks for voice use.
Yeah these GLM mics are cheap things with high self noise and coloured uncalibrated response no doubt.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure but it doesn’t work as we just learned. I’m sure all of us have picked up at least 3-4 such mic devices. The old phones used to come with them - just plug and play.

Doesn’t surprise me that they would change to a proprietary pin out as they are bundled with the GLM unit.

Not saying I wouldn’t try vs a drive to Best Buy. Heck for even looking through the mess of cables, headphones and other wired junk around. Fair enough.

Trell

Major Contributor
Yeah these GLM mics are cheap things with high self noise and coloured uncalibrated response no doubt.

They are made for calibration and are sufficient for that purpose, but usage as a voice mic is something else entirely.

I’ve informally tested the UMIK-1 for video chat work, and it’s really noisy. My Earthworks M23R measurement mic fares far better with respect to noise, but like the UMIK-1 is an omni: An acquired taste for video chats.

Ecksbocks

My major gripes with GLM, other than the ones I've already got use to, is the Sound Character Profiler, (which I like) is that the low shelf filter doesn't affect the subwoofers, and it would be nice with one peak/notch filter as well.

I can't see why one can't remeasure after calibrations, but I'm very happy with the results so I can live with that.

The subwoofer integration is absolute fantastic.

Ecksbocks

Just occurred to me that maybe I should redo my GLM calibration from time to time and maybe get improvements from the supposedly continuously updated Genelec cloud calculations...
Wow, I thought this happened only with the GLM-updates?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My major gripes with GLM, other than the ones I've already got use to, is the Sound Character Profiler, (which I like) is that the low shelf filter doesn't affect the subwoofers, and it would be nice with one peak/notch filter as well.

I can't see why one can't remeasure after calibrations, but I'm very happy with the results so I can live with that.

The subwoofer integration is absolute fantastic.

Really? I thought it did! So all I've been doing is boosting the midbass like my roommate likes.

I wish I could make an even slope from bass down to treble. Not a shelf.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? I thought it did! So all I've been doing is boosting the midbass like my roommate likes.

How hilarious I was just saying the same in another thread. Mid bass is highly underrated. It makes the leakage much more pleasant to others.

Not thump thump brr brr thump brrr brr.

Also it truly satisfies me better as well.

Yes a slope that sort of reverses the human hearing curve would be nice. Even a couple of those set up as presets to different degrees of “correction” in the actual calibration would be better.

Ecksbocks

Yes sir. Also I have noticed when I make changes around the crossover point the phase changes if I recalibrate the phase in GLM.

I don't like too much energy below 30 hz, that's how I found out. I manually made a roll off on the subwoofers, which you can see (notch 20 attached pic)

Attachments

• Notch 20.png
    Notch 20.png
    594.1 KB · Views: 87

Ecksbocks

I'm using this setup for pleasure only so no need for flat response. I wiped all the filters that GLM did and made my own tweaks, Notch 1+ and Notch 2, and small dip at 3 khz at -1 db, don't mind below 90 hz. This sounds more natural to me. On the subwoofers it's all GLM, besides my little roll off.

Attachments

• Main.png
    Main.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You can do a pretty much linear tone control slope from 20Hz up to 20kHz using 3 Parametric High Shelf Filters together - I use it for finetuning my speakers and headphones after correcting for the major deviations. The three High Shelf Filters are as follows:
High Shelf 63Hz, Q0.5
High Shelf 632Hz, Q0.5
High Shelf 6324Hz, Q0.5

What you do with those is that you always put the Gain (dB) to the same figure for each of those in order to get a Linear slope across the whole frequency range. Of course if you want to make it brighter (put in a positive slope) then you'd choose positive dB Gain figures for each one, and of course if you want to take away brightness then you'd put in minus dB figures into the Gain. You want to make sure you're using the same dB value for each filter, and because it influences huge wide areas of the frequency response (ie all of it!), then you only need to make changes in the order of 0.2dB per filter to notice a difference to the tonality. (So if you want to make your speaker or headphone brighter you'd probably start with +0.2dB on each of the three filters, listen to it, then keep increasing it in 0.2dB increments from there until it sounds right - so you'd go from 0.2dB per filter to 0.4dB to 0.6dB, and you'd stop when it was bright enough - conversely if you want to take away brightness then those would be negative dB's.)

Last edited:

mkt

You can do a pretty much linear tone control slope from 20Hz up to 20kHz using 3 Parametric High Shelf Filters together - I use it for finetuning my speakers and headphones after correcting for the major deviations. The three High Shelf Filters are as follows:
High Shelf 63Hz, Q0.5
High Shelf 632Hz, Q0.5
High Shelf 6324Hz, Q0.5

What you do with those is that you always put the Gain (dB) to the same figure for each of those in order to get a Linear slope across the whole frequency range. Of course if you want to make it brighter (put in a positive slope) then you'd choose positive dB Gain figures for each one, and of course if you want to take away brightness then you'd put in minus dB figures into the Gain. You want to make sure you're using the same dB value for each filter, and because it influences huge wide areas of the frequency response (ie all of it!), then you only need to make changes in the order of 0.2dB per filter to notice a difference to the tonality. (So if you want to make your speaker or headphone brighter you'd probably start with +0.2dB on each of the three filters, listen to it, then keep increasing it in 0.2dB increments from there until it sounds right - so you'd go from 0.2dB per filter to 0.4dB to 0.6dB, and you'd stop when it was bright enough - conversely if you want to take away brightness then those would be negative dB's.)
You do the 3 high shelf filters in GLM?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do the 3 high shelf filters in GLM?
I don't own Genelec speakers nor know much about GLM, but they guy said "I wish I could make an even slope from bass down to treble", which sounds like he wants a Linear Tone Control, which you can achieve using 3 High Shelf Filters together, the ones I mentioned. Perhaps there is an option in GLM to enter those 3 High Shelf Filters or in whatever Playback Source he's using.

Reactions: mkt
Top Bottom