• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

squarewave

I agree, the most annoying problem with Bluesound Node is that it doesn't turn off the digital outputs after streaming. I have reported this many times to Bluesound, but they still haven't fixed it. The only way for the Node to turn off the digital out is if I first turn on my TV and then turn it off. Only then will the Node turn off the digital outputs. It is very very very annoying.

lappy

@Mtbf is right with his reply.

>>>Below is a list of conditions which prevents the monitor or subwoofer to turn ISS sleep state.
  1. Signal sensed from the analogue input.
  2. Digital bit clock sensed from the digital input.
  3. Commands received from GLM network.
  4. ISS is disabled.
It’s quite common that the digital audio source keeps the digital bit clock active when the source is powered ON. That prevents the monitor or subwoofer to turn ISS sleep state. There could be also some noise in the analog input that prevents ISS sleep state. To find the reason which input has a signal preventing to turn ISS sleep state, remove each cable one by one and see if ISS sleep state activates. ...<<<
Just make 2) an option in GLM.

Mtbf

Just make 2) an option in GLM.
And how do you imagine the Genelecs waking up from standby without listening to the clock signal? Or to choose the digital input over the analogue input? This is how digital audio works.

eric tee

Question, related to the assessments of the adequacy of power presented in the listening tests of speakers (active speakers).
This is also related to the reproduction of lower frequencies.

Here, for example, instead of one speaker, Genelec 8351B (250 W Bass + 150 W Mid + 150 W Treble, each speaker), the use in normal
at least in a 2 channel system - would raise the reserve to a "sufficient" SPL reading significantly (250 W Bass x2 + 150 W Mid x2 + 150 W Treble x2)

I do understand the reasons for using one speaker in the test, but in a listening test this is perhaps somewhat strange, when we are speking of "limits of SPL" (and to somewhat, low freq`s).

"Where one could not doubt a difference was the power capability and bass extension. On sub-bass heavy tracks the Genelec held its own at lower volume. As you turned up the level the bass driver started to make this annoying "furrrrring" sound on heavy bass notes. You could easily hear it if you stood on top of the speaker and listened through the slot on top. Turn up the volume a bit more and the red clipping indicator would come on."

Sorry about my very limited use of english (I do understand it quite well, but writing is very difficult). Had to have some help with google traslater. Hopefully, my question in understandeble.

Last month, I had pleasure to listen 8351`s for an week. On an holiday in my friends cottage. Impressive quality of sound, in 2ch system. Listening distance was between 2-3.5 metres.
Before, had heard these in some showrooms, but in "real enviroment" they really shined. In my opinion.

-JT

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question, related to the assessments of the adequacy of power presented in the listening tests of speakers (active speakers).

Here, for example, instead of one speaker, Genelec 8351B (250 W Bass + 150 W Mid + 150 W Treble, each speaker), the use in normal
at least in a 2 channel system - would raise the reserve to a "sufficient" SPL reading significantly (250 W Bass x2 + 150 W Mid x2 + 150 W Treble x2)

I do understand the reasons for using one speaker in the test, but in a listening test this is perhaps somewhat strange, when we are speking of "limits of SPL" (and to somewhat, low freq`s).

"Where one could not doubt a difference was the power capability and bass extension. On sub-bass heavy tracks the Genelec held its own at lower volume. As you turned up the level the bass driver started to make this annoying "furrrrring" sound on heavy bass notes. You could easily hear it if you stood on top of the speaker and listened through the slot on top. Turn up the volume a bit more and the red clipping indicator would come on."

Sorry about my very limited use of english (I do understand it quite well, but writing is very difficult). Had to have some help with google traslater. Hopefully, my question in understandeble.

Last month, I had pleasure to listen 8351`s for an week. On an holiday in my friends cottage. Impressive quality of sound, in 2ch system. Listening distance was between 2-3.5 metres.
Before, had heard these in some showrooms, but in "real enviroment" they really shined. In my opinion.

-JT
Using two speakers instead of one gives you about 3dB of increased volume for mids and treble, and 6dB with bass from what I understand... It's not as much as you would think and humans won't hear it as twice as loud which is arguably around +10dB.

auricom

Would you take 8351B or 8260 for near-field use (1.5m), small to medium sized room?
I understand 8351B is better, but 8260 goes much lower.
It would be without subwoofers.
Asking if I happen to find good deal later.

auricom

8331A or 8341A with subs
That would be much more, too much with 2 Genelec subs, and I have a fixation for 2 subs, even if I might not need.
8331A is quite weak, at least that is the impression I have got.
8341A is one option of course, but haven't seen single good price yet. And alone it doesn't go very low.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you take 8351B or 8260 for near-field use (1.5m), small to medium sized room?

8260 for sure.

8351b advantages aren't likely applicable to you:
-Little bit better vertical dispersion.
-Extra room correction filters if you've got a very complicated setup.

The 8260 advantage is easily audible: clean extended bass suitable for checking the bass if you're using it to mix and master, or great for musical enjoyment.

The equivalent to an 8260 would be an 8361 or smaller version of The Ones with a couple of 10" subs... and you'll be paying twice as much.

Also, the on axis response of the 8260 for nearfield is technically superior to any prior or later Genelec products as it measures better.

If you plan on getting a W371 system in the future though, get the 8341 as the 8260 isn't compatible.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I think 8260.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I think the 8260 if I was being rational.

YSC

Major Contributor
I think the 8260 if I was being rational.

I would think the other way, in nearfield, if pushed to the wall side, with room EQ and wall boost the 8351 should easily goes to like 30hz or slightly lower, where personally I don't find the extension from 30hz to 20hz being that important, at nearfield the pin point imaging of the ones are way better, and that it should be able to reach sensible volume without sweat

Curvature

Major Contributor
I would think the other way, in nearfield, if pushed to the wall side, with room EQ and wall boost the 8351 should easily goes to like 30hz or slightly lower, where personally I don't find the extension from 30hz to 20hz being that important, at nearfield the pin point imaging of the ones are way better, and that it should be able to reach sensible volume without sweat
I disagree with your LF output expectations, having used small speakers for a long time, and I don't think we have any good proof that the imaging will be significantly better.

YSC

Major Contributor
I disagree with your LF output expectations, having used small speakers for a long time, and I don't think we have any good proof that the imaging will be significantly better.
ah sorry I somehow forget the 8260 is also coaxial, by then the imaging should be similar, but extension don't seem to be far off for either one either

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

-JT

I recently got a pair of 8351b's and one of the reason it took me as long as it did to get them was that I was concerned that their SPL capabilities would be borderline for my use-case. I don't like to listen super-loud but my listening distance is about 3M from the speakers, which means their official SPL spec (referenced at 1M) has to be about 10dB higher than the SPL I want to achieve at my listening position. And after reading Amir's review I was not confident they'd be able to produce quite enough volume for me.

But then I remembered that Amir was using only a single speaker and so I went ahead with the purchase. I honestly get confused about whether a pair produces 3 or 6dB of extra SPL in-room compared to a single speaker. All I know is that these things can play louder than I can tolerate, and I can easily get them up over 90dB SPL at my listening position, which means they're putting out over 100dB at 1M, and neither the yellow nor red limiting/clipping lights have ever come on.

YSC

Major Contributor
I recently got a pair of 8351b's and one of the reason it took me as long as it did to get them was that I was concerned that their SPL capabilities would be borderline for my use-case. I don't like to listen super-loud but my listening distance is about 3M from the speakers, which means their official SPL spec (referenced at 1M) has to be about 10dB higher than the SPL I want to achieve at my listening position. And after reading Amir's review I was not confident they'd be able to produce quite enough volume for me.

But then I remembered that Amir was using only a single speaker and so I went ahead with the purchase. I honestly get confused about whether a pair produces 3 or 6dB of extra SPL in-room compared to a single speaker. All I know is that these things can play louder than I can tolerate, and I can easily get them up over 90dB SPL at my listening position, which means they're putting out over 100dB at 1M, and neither the yellow nor red limiting/clipping lights have ever come on.
IIRC a pair should be 3db or so, but then you have room gain for the bass frequencies, which if put near corners or walls could do 6db or so each, so it should be fine

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly get confused about whether a pair produces 3 or 6dB of extra SPL in-room compared to a single speaker.
Since in the bass region the sources and addition is rather coherent the summation gives closer to 6 dB, 3 dB is for incoherent sources.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my listening distance is about 3M from the speakers, which means their official SPL spec (referenced at 1M) has to be about 10dB higher than the SPL I want to achieve at my listening position
6dB per distance doubling is only true with no reflections at all, eg outdoors or an anechoic chamber. Indoors, 3m is more like 5-7dB loss. Toole covers that in this doc.
All I know is that these things can play louder than I can tolerate, and I can easily get them up over 90dB SPL at my listening position, which means they're putting out over 100dB at 1M, and neither the yellow nor red limiting/clipping lights have ever come on.
A (single) 8351B will play at least 100dB @ 3m and 100hz with no compression, and more like 105-110dB if you tolerate a tiny bit. I've measured that in my own room. Below 100hz I haven't checked since I use subs, but I'm very certain Genelec's 103dB spec for pink noise(which slopes down in frequency, making it a mostly bass test) in half space is correct and probably conservative.

maxijazz

My pair of 8351Bs goes down to 25Hz (-6dB) in 140sq ft room. I consider it sufficient for accuracy, Though, bass freaks would need a subwoofer or two.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom