• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No such such thing.
If you add an "A" there is - or at least was.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Its
If you add an "A" there is - or at least was.

It's a shame it's not still in production as a "poor man's " 8361

galileon

more like a clear distinguishability of parts of the music that are prominent in front and a such that are background and all in between. Could say depth also but is not exactly like this, because depth in physical sence is combined with more reverberation and not only lower levels of soundpressure.
Really struggling with that to analyze it why is so and what is exactly happening. Genelec delivers the quiet and loud passages with equal presence regardless of the level ... hence sounding more "busy" and vivid. With the d&d is like there is masking applied on the different levels and the quiet notes are modified. It's definitely not natural, but I still have to admit that it sounds very interesting and enjoyable.
Hi i have them both in one room - this what U are talking about is related to squashed transient representation of 8c - its like aliasing at some graphics program but in this case togeather with all other 8c specific properties makes the soundstage really ubique and enjoyable. I have still no clear answer what exacly happen there but i know for sure they are slow speakers and also very aliased - somehow filtered. The 8351B are much more wide and deep aounding speakers but they make everything sound bright and clear - due to metallic materials - they transients are crazy but they lie the same time colouring too much. The lowend and lows are damnly good with 8351b - most spatial lowend i ever heard. Cheers

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi i have them both in one room - this what U are talking about is related to squashed transient representation of 8c - its like aliasing at some graphics program but in this case togeather with all other 8c specific properties makes the soundstage really ubique and enjoyable. I have still no clear answer what exacly happen there but i know for sure they are slow speakers and also very aliased - somehow filtered. The 8351B are much more wide and deep aounding speakers but they make everything sound bright and clear - due to metallic materials - they transients are crazy but they lie the same time colouring too much. The lowend and lows are damnly good with 8351b - most spatial lowend i ever heard. Cheers
I’m not sure this is accurate… I think the 8351B have very little coloration. I wouldn’t call them “metallic”. They are designed to be as neutral and accurate as possible, and that’s not warm, or textured, or having a rich midrange. The metallic coloration might not be a product of the speakers. It could come from the recording or upstream gear. I’ve struggled to find the optimum upstream gear that would do them justice, I think I got it right now with the RME Digiface AES in a minimal, all digital, source setup.

galileon

I’m not sure this is accurate… I think the 8351B have very little coloration. I wouldn’t call them “metallic”. They are designed to be as neutral and accurate as possible, and that’s not warm, or textured, or having a rich midrange. The metallic coloration might not be a product of the speakers. It could come from the recording or upstream gear. I’ve struggled to find the optimum upstream gear that would do them justice, I think I got it right now with the RME Digiface AES in a minimal, all digital, source setup.
Hello,
True they do not colour the tone but they colour the transient / time domain. They are very quick in delivering the midrange and topend - thats why i really like play synths on them and this is what makes the sound is jumping to the front as hell. But the sad true is also, that they can bring to the table something that doesnt exists in the recording for example 'dont start now - dua lipa' there is part with hihats ( we tested on many systems ) and they bringed to the table sounds that doesnt exists anywhere and after many tests we found the same -> this quickness do this issue imo. Anyway in my quite dead room the soundstage is exceptional i mean how parts of the sound are splitted and hangining in the air is the spectacular. When i play synths i have feeling like to stay in front of some machine ( tested many speakers and no any giving the same perception ). But for music i keep now ATC 25v2 and the gens dont have the start to them in matter of naturality - but of course atc need the perfect room and placement otherwise they will do bad.
Whats interesting the genelecs 8030C they have similar sound to one's in matter of this metalic kind construction but they dont have this timedomain issue i mentioned.

Cheers
Rafal

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
True they do not colour the tone but they colour the transient / time domain. They are very quick in delivering the midrange and topend - thats why i really like play synths on them and this is what makes the sound is jumping to the front as hell. But the sad true is also, that they can bring to the table something that doesnt exists in the recording for example 'dont start now - dua lipa' there is part with hihats ( we tested on many systems ) and they bringed to the table sounds that doesnt exists anywhere and after many tests we found the same -> this quickness do this issue imo. Anyway in my quite dead room the soundstage is exceptional i mean how parts of the sound are splitted and hangining in the air is the spectacular. When i play synths i have feeling like to stay in front of some machine ( tested many speakers and no any giving the same perception ). But for music i keep now ATC 25v2 and the gens dont have the start to them in matter of naturality - but of course atc need the perfect room and placement otherwise they will do bad.
Whats interesting the genelecs 8030C they have similar sound to one's in matter of this metalic kind construction but they dont have this timedomain issue i mentioned.

Cheers
Rafal
What you wrote is interesting, and you seem to have tested many speakers. But did you do it in ABX conditions?

galileon

What you wrote is interesting, and you seem to have tested many speakers. But did you do it in ABX conditions?
hi what to U mean as ABX conditions? - if It mean A / B / C .... listening then yes ... the hell yes :)

Last edited:

HiMu

True they do not colour the tone but they colour the transient / time domain. They are very quick in delivering the midrange and topend - thats why i really like play synths on them and this is what makes the sound is jumping to the front as hell.
All Genelec speakers that I've heard have snappy/fast sound, that could be vaguely described as metallic, if they are calibrated flat with GLM/ MiniDSP and left without a room specific curve. That snappiness is one of the characteristics that made me fell in love with Genelec speakers in the late 90's.
Anyway in my quite dead room the soundstage is exceptional i mean how parts of the sound are splitted and hangining in the air is the spectacular. When i play synths i have feeling like to stay in front of some machine ( tested many speakers and no any giving the same perception ).
I've noticed the same "hanging in the air" phenomena in my decently treated room. When the volume is in balance with the room, sound can almost be described as a physical object floating in the room.
Oh the spine tingling liquid sizzle of a SEM filter through Genelecs...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Theur
Hello,

Cheers
Rafal
They are fast and they have superb clarity
I wouldn't say that they are metallic sounding or add sounds that don't exist on the recording .
I'd say music sounds on them different than most other speakers and it takes time for the brain to adjust to their sound.
They have a love or hate type of sound , not so much in the middle.

galileon

Theur

They are fast and they have superb clarity
I wouldn't say that they are metallic sounding or add sounds that don't exist on the recording .
I'd say music sounds on them different than most other speakers and it takes time for the brain to adjust to their sound.
They have a love or hate type of sound , not so much in the middle.
The issues i mentioned U can notice it immedatelly when doing A/B comparision. Every speaker have the cons and pros and also specific kind of representation. Thats why i have always many speakers the same time in the same room and same setup to compare - this is what i really love.
The biggest issue about Ones i found is their representation of sound is a little too messy - issue with the transient inadequate failing in time domain and the spectral positioning of elements in the mix - with smaller 8030C this things are just better - hm. It doesnt mean that they are bad or not -> perfonally for music listening i didnt like them as they have totally 0 emotions to the music. For example Dutch 8c due to their 'slow' characteristic they are huge mellow kind speakers when U can just sit in the couch and enjoy 'slowly' playing music - but again they have totally no kicking, energy, sharp edges are not sharp and emotions are always the same -> aliased as hell. ATC is different - they have much better dynamic range for particular elements and less magnetic between frequency response parts but the cons are their requirements, sweetspot etc. Always the choice ..

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All Genelec speakers that I've heard have snappy/fast sound, that could be vaguely described as metallic, if they are calibrated flat with GLM/ MiniDSP and left without a room specific curve. That snappiness is one of the characteristics that made me fell in love with Genelec speakers in the late 90's.

I've noticed the same "hanging in the air" phenomena in my decently treated room. When the volume is in balance with the room, sound can almost be described as a physical object floating in the room.
Oh the spine tingling liquid sizzle of a SEM filter through Genelecs...
Room EQ has a lot to do with that, I think.

galileon

Room EQ has a lot to do with that, I think.
If U mean this spatialness effect it is not related to that - its related how transients ar pronounced and how they fade off in genelec case this is done very quickly so U have absolute volume/energy higher than when using other speakers but its not pronounced like that due to fact of quick fade out in whole spectrum.
Cheers

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If U mean this spatialness effect it is not related to that - its related how transients ar pronounced and how they fade off in genelec case this is done very quickly so U have absolute volume/energy higher than when using other speakers but its not pronounced like that due to fact of quick fade out in whole spectrum.
Cheers
Do you think of any measurements that could back up your impressions?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi what to U mean as ABX conditions? - if It mean A / B / C .... listening then yes ... the hell yes :)
ABX as in: when you don't know which speaker you're listening to and can't be biased by its look nor fame nor price tag.

galileon

Do you think of any measurements that could back up your impressions?
probably but its hard - i remember one day when i was examining the ugly brightness of the room and that was causes by ceiling plates of squeezed mineral wools - it was visible at measuremennts in decay waterfall but thats like 1 2 db of reduction in the time of reflections thats very very specific cases.
Cheers

Top Bottom