• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I'm curious, what is the actual max SPL (@1m) of this speaker, and can you tell that from the graphs (how)? They advertise 104dB. How is that defined, is it based on the amount of distortion or compression? Thanks

There are details on the spec in the manual. It's 104dB from 100hz to 3khz averaged in half-space @1m. And the answer to your question is that you can't really tell. You can make a guess based on how the distortion looks at 96dB, but that's about it. Reviews don't contain comprehensive max SPL testing.

In this case, distortion was hitting 20% at 60hz and ~94dB, and 40% at 30hz and 68dB. 96dB is probably very close to the limit for <100hz. 96dB is also listed in the manual as the max RMS output(still in half-space) using IEC weighted noise, which is apparently pink noise played for 16 hours(!). So that is probably a reasonable spec for <100hz output.

Last edited:

Buckster

Not had time to get the UMIK out and run REW

But switched to manual EQ as Audyssey applying too much boost for my liking - I've applied a bit of boost at 2khz and a small cut at 4khz and 8khz as was getting siblance on vocals and big cut at 100 (-5db) as Audyssey was applying nearly -7-8db there

Tried a couple of films out - Dark Knight end scene for one and my ears gave up before the 8030c did - I've currently got it crossed over at 90. Didn't notice any distortion/compression. That said maybe my loud isn't as loud as some people play I mean I tried putting my old RadioShack dB meter 1m in front of the 8030c with a film running and what I'd consider full tilt at 3m (so at 1m was even louder) - detached house but max my ears feel comfortable with and even with some contribution from other speakers and sub I was seeing max about 88db at 1m

It's made me want 2 x larger Genelecs as front L/R now but way out of my budget

Reactions: mkt

eric tee

I subscribe to Genelec's YouTube channel and saw this video on their environmental efforts. It's pretty cool and reinforces my interest in Genelec products.

Also, the amount of time, when it is possible to get spare parts or technical support to these speakers in quite amazing. My friend just got his speakers fixed in Genelec factory. I believe it was 1030A, made in 1996. They told him at Genelec support, that it is possible to get spare parts even speakers made from 80`s. That`s something!

I had some problems with accredited Genelec seller. Wasn`t sure, if I just understood that wrong way --> specs I wanted from sub I bought. Send email to Genelec support, asking questions. Soon after that, seller send me email and the problem gone away. That was pretty amazing, Genelec people were in contact with that store!

I have no clue, about what brand is the best one. If there is such, but I am pretty sure that G have at least one of the best customer service in industry.

eric tee

So if I go to thomann right now, genelec 8030c comes out to $1090.86, that's with shipping.

Lol I literally just got them in from sweetwater for nearly $1500, whatever, at least they got here in a day.

Yeah these speakers are incredible. I've been on a bit of a monitor hunt lately. I used the KH80 for a few months but ultimately found them to be pretty in your face and fatiguing, dsp was kind of poorly implimented. Very sensitive to head movements and lacked body, pretty resonant plastic cabinet IMO, "small" sounding. Tried dynaudio bm5 mkiii next, was a mistake. They're pretty crappy and the KH80 spoiled me, anything less than those is going to leave me wanting.

Then the 8030c came in today, they are in short the perfect speaker for me. Amir was right, they reproduce everything perfectly. Music is such an absolute joy to listen to on these. The dispersion is just plain better than KH80, no phasing with head movements, just a solid image all around. They're not bright in the least bit, could ACTUALLY mix on these all day without fatigue unlike the BM5 which they claim is something they offer. Yeah that's a lie.

Don't have much else to say, just an incredible speaker that will serve me well. Really is a special feeling when you finally find that speaker that you know is just right, it's really an instant gut feeling. I don't see myself employing DSP on this setup, it sounds just right to me.
View attachment 125312
About 5 years ago when I got first touch on Genelec with G2, that was " just a solid image all around", my precice feeling. I am now upgrading from 8030 to 8330, already have SAM sub. Hopefully this is upgrade...

bbizzle

Could the genelec 8030 or 8330 speakers be connected to the sub SVS SB-2000 Pro ??? with the topping d70s
I literally just did this (8030s + SB-2000) using a minidsp nanodigi to set the crossovers. But honestly, you could probably get away with just running the genelecs wide open and adjusting the digital crossover on the sub. Sounds really good to me! Pretty flat down to about 20hz

D

Deleted member 12642

Considering making some w371 knock offs for my 8030c. Got some 15" dayton drivers lying around, close to the 14" pa woofer in the front of the w371. I have some 12" subs that I can bypass the internal amp on for testing stuff out, and I put them right under the 8030c and played around with the xovers, man having them play up to ~300hz sounds sublime. They will likely just be single driver cabinets but match the whole stand size of the w371 within reason of what works for the driver. Should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

fuzzymcdoodle

I'm in post production and am looking to get some 8030c's to improve the setup and upgrade. Was thinking of getting a Schiit Modius to connect to the Mac but it not having a volume knob is a bit of a buzz kill. Any recco's of a Schiit to pair with? I already have the Modi and Magni for my headphones on my PC for non-professional use but looking to keep it all in the same family for desk aesthetics

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm in post production and am looking to get some 8030c's to improve the setup and upgrade. Was thinking of getting a Schiit Modius to connect to the Mac but it not having a volume knob is a bit of a buzz kill. Any recco's of a Schiit to pair with? I already have the Modi and Magni for my headphones on my PC for non-professional use but looking to keep it all in the same family for desk aesthetics
I'd probably skip Schiit here, especially if your DAW/NLE uses ASIO as Schiit doesn't support it.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm on a Mac so ASIO isn't really relevant I believe
Correct, mac uses CoreAudio. Anyhoo, you'd need some kind of analog side monitor controller.

notthisperson

I’ve got a little bear MC2 acting as a preamp in my setup after the 8030C fed by an SMSL SU8.
The little bear is audibly transparent (have seen it tested here on the forums by other members) and can theoretically act as a volume knob for any DAC you go for.

I’ve got several digital volume controls and honestly none had as satisfying of a nob as the little bear and they don’t cost any less.

MaxRockbin

Your photo really shows the incredible woofer/cabinet size ratio of the Genelec. Hard to think that the M105's woofer is the same size.
I know this is an ancient post, but people (including me) are still interested in Genelec vs Revel...

The difference in box size vs similar performance is really interesting. I don't know how you could see it directly, but it seems like the Genelec is much more dependent on the port for the low end than the Revel. More sound power coming from the port would relieve the back pressure in the box and reduce the advantage of a bigger box. Also, the Genelec response starts dropping a bit lower than the M105 but has a steeper drop off once it does. I think that's also characteristic of port bass.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is an ancient post, but people (including me) are still interested in Genelec vs Revel...

The difference in box size vs similar performance is really interesting. I don't know how you could see it directly, but it seems like the Genelec is much more dependent on the port for the low end than the Revel. More sound power coming from the port would relieve the back pressure in the box and reduce the advantage of a bigger box. Also, the Genelec response starts dropping a bit lower than the M105 but has a steeper drop off once it does. I think that's also characteristic of port bass.

I own both(8030c and M105) and did a blind test between the two last year. The 8030 came out on top for both listeners, but there were a couple songs where the M105 was preferred. FWIW.

hihoendless

hi guys

i am thinking of adding a subwoofer to my Genelec 8030.
is it genelec 7050 is the best option ?

Can anyone share your 8030+7050 setup and opinion of it ?

D

Deleted member 12642

I think the genelec subs are kind of a poor value, especially the 7050. I prefer to have at least a 10" driver for low end. Plenty of good options that have the same xover freq as the 7050, adam t10s, jbl310s. I have not heard the genelec 7050 so take my opinion with a teaspoon of salt.

YSC

Major Contributor
hi guys

i am thinking of adding a subwoofer to my Genelec 8030.
is it genelec 7050 is the best option ?

Can anyone share your 8030+7050 setup and opinion of it ?
I only use the 7040 with them in my really tiny room and they are amazing!

that said, a lot of better or lower extended subs available at the price point (I think the 7040 is almost half priced compared to 7050) for the 7050 they are better than other options mainly showing in ease of integration, as their high pass filter and sensitivity setting can be very easily guesstimated with the main monitors! and I found that if say with the distance to wall my 7040 will have flat bass extending to 30hz with the bass tilt set to -4db, then with -2db I can have bass slope of the preferred curve of ~2db higher than the mids sloping downwards, and extending to 25hz (same SPL level as mids which drops off like cliff below). Genelec are better in the way they provide easy compensation modes to the placement, but if you have the space and effort to really optimise the subwoofer then I believe other options like SVS will be a better option.

Reactions: kuf

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the genelec subs are kind of a poor value, especially the 7050. I prefer to have at least a 10" driver for low end. Plenty of good options that have the same xover freq as the 7050, adam t10s, jbl310s. I have not heard the genelec 7050 so take my opinion with a teaspoon of salt.

Genelec subs are bad for the money, compared to what you can get from HSU/Rythmik/Monoprice. The only real use I see is the ones that are SAM enabled, for those who don't want to mess with sub integration.

Looking at the top end, the Genelec 7380(1 x 15") is $1000 more expensive than the JTR Captivator 4000ULF(2 x 18"), and 1 4000ULF($4,200) will easily beat 2 7380s($10,800).

hihoendless

I only use the 7040 with them in my really tiny room and they are amazing!

that said, a lot of better or lower extended subs available at the price point (I think the 7040 is almost half priced compared to 7050) for the 7050 they are better than other options mainly showing in ease of integration, as their high pass filter and sensitivity setting can be very easily guesstimated with the main monitors! and I found that if say with the distance to wall my 7040 will have flat bass extending to 30hz with the bass tilt set to -4db, then with -2db I can have bass slope of the preferred curve of ~2db higher than the mids sloping downwards, and extending to 25hz (same SPL level as mids which drops off like cliff below). Genelec are better in the way they provide easy compensation modes to the placement, but if you have the space and effort to really optimise the subwoofer then I believe other options like SVS will be a better option.

thanks , I also thinking 7040 too because of its size and price (with a room so small the bigger the sub the more acoustic problems I will have).

Top Bottom