• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
keep in mind these products are grey market even if they do ship to you and won't be warranteed by genelec. i would work with your local dealer instead.

D

Deleted member 12642

That seems like a scam, genelec should honor all purchases from approved dealers.

mkawa

Forum Donor
it's not a scam. dealers are given franchises for countries. warranties are only honored in the country they are granted in. genelec USA is literally not the same legal entity at genelec UK. why should they warranty items sold by genelec UK?

this is extremely standard for legality of warranties and dealer agreements.

D

Deleted member 12642

I've purchased items overseas from thomann and their warranties were honored no problem. In this case it was a keyboard from novation. I guess some companies aren't as versed in customer support.

YSC

Major Contributor
it's not a scam. dealers are given franchises for countries. warranties are only honored in the country they are granted in. genelec USA is literally not the same legal entity at genelec UK. why should they warranty items sold by genelec UK?

this is extremely standard for legality of warranties and dealer agreements.
well, I only partly agree, yes, Genelec USA should not handle or provide warranty service to Genelec products purchased from overseas purchased product, since for most business they are only dealer, there's no point for a dealer to service products not purchased from them, but there should always be warranty service from Genelec itself, just when needed you have to send the product back to genelec with the purchase invoice to prove the purchasing date.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is it possible to use the 8030C without a sub if I'll sit very close to them 50cm-1 meter?
Would they have enough SPL and bass?

D

Deleted member 12642

Is it possible to use the 8030C without a sub if I'll sit very close to them 50cm-1 meter?
Would they have enough SPL and bass?

Absolutely, I mostly use them without a sub and their bass never ceases to impress me, im about a meter away. Actually, it looks like I'm about 4ft away. I find their bass output coupled with their fairly minimal cone movement to be quite reassuring. I often wonder if I'm near their limits, and take a flash light to the woofer only to see that they're barely doing anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's weird that the KH120 costs so much more than the 8030C
Screenshot_20210512-043200.jpg
Screenshot_20210512-043142.jpg

Senior NEET Engineer

Must be a room problem then, because it is exceptional in my room. I was listening to stuff the other day and actually went to turn the subs off, they were already off.

This is what was playing, pretty hefty bass transients in this!

The -3dB point is 55hz

D

Deleted member 12642

That's nice, I'm gonna go with what I'm hearing though, which is full bodied, punchy, effortless low end. I was doing a mix today that called for BX_subfilter and had no issue making confident adjustments with that plugin focusing 35-40hz.

Last edited by a moderator:

YSC

Major Contributor
The -3dB point is 55hz
yes, but in real life (or maybe I never got a sub so no comparison no desire) most music don't go too low either, so the punchy and tactile bass above 55hz is pretty decent for what it is. I am tempted in my small room to get a 7040A to not obstruct my feet yet produce something near 30hz

Senior NEET Engineer

yes, but in real life (or maybe I never got a sub so no comparison no desire) most music don't go too low either, so the punchy and tactile bass above 55hz is pretty decent for what it is. I am tempted in my small room to get a 7040A to not obstruct my feet yet produce something near 30hz

Do you have any headphones with deep bass? A low pass filter can help identify if you're missing out.

Low frequency extension is weight strongly in Harman's blind testing. Raises the score of this speaker from 6.3 to 8.5

YSC

Major Contributor
Do you have any headphones with deep bass? A low pass filter can help identify if you're missing out.

Low frequency extension is weight strongly in Harman's blind testing. Raises the score of this speaker from 6.3 to 8.5
yes, I currently using the HE-500 but bass performance wise they feels similar in most music, if such, for <1m distance do you think the 7040 would improve a lot or would it cause localisation problem?

Senior NEET Engineer

yes, I currently using the HE-500 but bass performance wise they feels similar in most music, if such, for <1m distance do you think the 7040 would improve a lot or would it cause localisation problem?

I haven't listened to that headphone. The bass on my Sony IER-M9 isn't satisfying. I'd rather be deaf below 100hz than unable to feel vibrations.

Draculr

I just picked up my paid of 8030C monitors from thomann (shipped fairly quickly to Australia). I'm upgrading from the 305P MKii's.

Apart from the imagine and clarity being very noticably better, it feels like I've added a sub to my system in comparison! That's crazy from what it not only the same size woofer but a much smaller cabinet too.

I'm still experimenting with the switches on the back and with Dirac Live but so far it's an very strong first impression.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I just picked up my paid of 8030C monitors from thomann (shipped fairly quickly to Australia). I'm upgrading from the 305P MKii's.

Apart from the imagine and clarity being very noticably better, it feels like I've added a sub to my system in comparison! That's crazy from what it not only the same size woofer but a much smaller cabinet too.

I'm still experimenting with the switches on the back and with Dirac Live but so far it's an very strong first impression.
Do you feel that they sound "small"?

Draculr

Do you feel that they sound "small"?

Small would not be a word I'd use to describe them. They're definitely not any "smaller" than other speakers I've had in the past such as the 305P's and T7V's. I have them now set up in a near field environment so the soundstage is limited by that but I feel it's an easy way to get more accurate imaging. If anything they manage to disappear more than the other speakers, so perhaps they're "bigger"? :p

I have them mounted on the following stands right beside my 34" monitor: Wavebone Gemini Height-Adjustable Table Top Speaker Stands (PAIR) - Sounds Easy

Top Bottom