• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

YSC

Major Contributor
The 7040 doesn't really count as a sub, unless you have 8010/8020 speakers. Just too small.
That depends on room size, this is what I am able to achieve in my small room, with enough bass to feel the bass shaking

C2E328B3-9013-4967-A0AB-394785068747.jpeg

To me a sub is something that able to give you bass extension inside your space, and when any larger ones (even SVS 3000 micro) are too large to fit in any way it’s junk in your application

Trell

Major Contributor
Genelec subs are bad for the money, compared to what you can get from HSU/Rythmik/Monoprice. The only real use I see is the ones that are SAM enabled, for those who don't want to mess with sub integration.

Looking at the top end, the Genelec 7380(1 x 15") is $1000 more expensive than the JTR Captivator 4000ULF(2 x 18"), and 1 4000ULF($4,200) will easily beat 2 7380s($10,800).

I agree that for raw performance Genelec subwoofers is not the best value compared some ID brands, but then there are other features like connectivity and DSP. For my desktop system of a pair of 8330A I added the 7360A subwoofer to have a (GLM AutoCal/AutoPhase) calibrated 2.1 setup with calibration stored in the monitors/subwoofer. Where I to have used something else to calibrate the 2.1 setup I'll likely would have gotten the 8030C and a SVS subwoofer. Then again this is for personal use while a pro likely have other considerations as well.

YSC

Major Contributor
The 7040 doesn't really count as a sub, unless you have 8010/8020 speakers. Just too small.
One thing though, I've contacted Genelec support for why the 7040 is only recommended for 8010 and 8020 and M030 but not 8030, the answer was that it's not about bass extension, but that the max SPL for 8030 exceeds 100db SPL which is max for 7040, where for them the need to have a sub have higher headroom than the monitors could affect professional work at extreme SPL, that's why they don't officially recommend that combo, but if your need is below 100db SPL and space is limited (just like KEF KC62), I think no sane ppl would opt for them if space isn't a limiting factor, and when space is that tight, the boundary gain would likely be enough to make them body shaking enough.

D

Deleted member 12642

One thing though, I've contacted Genelec support for why the 7040 is only recommended for 8010 and 8020 and M030 but not 8030, the answer was that it's not about bass extension, but that the max SPL for 8030 exceeds 100db SPL which is max for 7040, where for them the need to have a sub have higher headroom than the monitors could affect professional work at extreme SPL, that's why they don't officially recommend that combo, but if your need is below 100db SPL and space is limited (just like KEF KC62), I think no sane ppl would opt for them if space isn't a limiting factor, and when space is that tight, the boundary gain would likely be enough to make them body shaking enough.

That's pretty interesting, makes sense.

MaxRockbin

To anyone who has the 8030c: What have you found to be the best crossover frequency for a sub? I've read people's opinions based on the distortion curves, but not much from actual owners (KaiserSoze made a fairly extensive case that the crossover should be as high as 150hz for the 8030c and pretty much any 5" midrange woofer speaker in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/subwoofer-choosing.15740/page-3#post-504562).

Also to 8030c owners: Do you think it would be loud enough for occasional cranking at a placement of 1.5 - 2.0M from the listening position? I know that's a subjective thing, so I'm looking for owner opinions. I've read the graphs, but it's not the same thing. From my first question, as you might guess, I would be using it with a sub. If I have to go bigger, I think I'd go for the 8340A to get more power and Class D. Though in the US, that's $2000 more for a pair than the 8030c for something that may make no difference (Since I have Dirac and don't need GLM). Small room about 1300cu ft. (38 cu. M)

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That depends on room size, this is what I am able to achieve in my small room, with enough bass to feel the bass shaking

View attachment 138868
To me a sub is something that able to give you bass extension inside your space, and when any larger ones (even SVS 3000 micro) are too large to fit in any way it’s junk in your application
That’s a great looking response.

YSC

Major Contributor
To anyone who has the 8030c: What have you found to be the best crossover frequency for a sub? I've read people's opinions based on the distortion curves, but not much from actual owners (KaiserSoze made a fairly extensive case that the crossover should be as high as 150hz for the 8030c and pretty much any 5" midrange woofer speaker in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/subwoofer-choosing.15740/page-3#post-504562).

Also to 8030c owners: Do you think it would be loud enough for occasional cranking at a placement of 1.5 - 2.0M from the listening position? I know that's a subjective thing, so I'm looking for owner opinions. I've read the graphs, but it's not the same thing. From my first question, as you might guess, I would be using it with a sub. If I have to go bigger, I think I'd go for the 8340A to get more power and Class D. Though in the US, that's $2000 more for a pair than the 8030c for something that may make no difference (Since I have Dirac and don't need GLM).
Somehow I feel if room size is able to let you play around crossing as high as 150hz makes sense, but then it likely will have localisation problem. I feel the factory high pass of 85hz from genelec is good enough to not let localisation be a problem yet taking away the most distorted part.

for SPL I think they are more than capable at 2m. Although my listening distance is 0.7-0.9m but the loudest I can bear without feeling annoyed have to turn the 8030 in lowest sensitivity and my passive preamp to 1/3 max volume. With 2m basically need 6db more to achieve the same there’s still almost 20-30db headroom to go. I doubt you will need 30db more than what I can withstand

hihoendless

in other word , for tiny room , 7040 still have enough bass extension compared to 7050 ?

also, i found that Genelec support said that 7040 is also recommended to supplement M030 and M030 which has really similar spec compared to 8030, so what is the rationale that 7040 is not recommended for 8030?

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
in other word , for tiny room , 7040 still have enough bass extension compared to 7050 ?

also, i found that Genelec support said that 7040 is also recommended to supplement M030 and M030 which has really similar spec compared to 8030, so what is the rationale that 7040 is not recommended for 8030?
to me, definitely yes, the boundary boost of bass is quite a lot, and the spec for max SPL was only 3db difference and lowest -6db for 6hz lower between 7040 and 7050, for sensible listening level for prolonged section, the 7040A is adequate, and when a room is small enough, placement optimization is more important IMO

for M030 and 8030C, the official ans from Genelec support was that the 7040A have max SPL exceeding the M030, but 8030C have higher max SPL, where some studios this will be potential a problem, so officially they don't include them as a recommendation, but this definitely works at most situations

D

Deleted member 12642

For a tiny room I don't know if you even need a sub with them. I have a pair I moved into a smaller 12'x14' room and the low end extension is quite strong. I'm considering selling the pair of subs I have because they simply aren't needed with that setup in that room.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a tiny room I don't know if you even need a sub with them. I have a pair I moved into a smaller 12'x14' room and the low end extension is quite strong. I'm considering selling the pair of subs I have because they simply aren't needed with that setup in that room.
Interesting. Mine are in a 7' x 10' room (around 2 m x 3 m) and I was tempted to add a sub (like the JBL 310S), just to hear what's going on between 30Hz and 50Hz.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
Interesting. Mine are in a 7' x 10' room (around 2 m x 3 m) and I was tempted to add a sub (like the JBL 310S), just to hear what's going on between 30Hz and 50Hz.
same thought here, I bought the 7040 just for the sake of making my setup from 30-20khz, ended up I got response from 25-20khz, and although not all music can have a difference, but with those tracks with 30-60hz contents they are very noticable, of coz you need to have the place to put the sub in optimized location.

D

Deleted member 12642

same thought here, I bought the 7040 just for the sake of making my setup from 30-20khz, ended up I got response from 25-20khz, and although not all music can have a difference, but with those tracks with 30-60hz contents they are very noticable, of coz you need to have the place to put the sub in optimized location.

I'm curious are you using EQ to get your in room response? Mine honestly looks like shit compared to yours. Well I guess it isn't too bad. This is without subs, typical 120-240 ceiling build up, and a suck out at 80hz, story of my life. I should say I never hipassed my 8030, always just full out with a sub to add some extra bit of oomph, I suppose I could whip out the behringer pa xover I have and see what things are like with them hi passed to subs.

response.png

Last edited by a moderator:

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm curious are you using EQ to get your in room response? Mine honestly looks like shit compared to yours. Well I guess it isn't too bad. This is without subs, typical 120-240 ceiling build up, and a suck out at 80hz, story of my life. I should say I never hipassed my 8030, always just full out with a sub to add some extra bit of oomph, I suppose I could whip out the behringer pa xover I have and see what things are like with them hi passed to subs.

View attachment 139300
I didn't do any EQ on mine, the secret sauce might sound funny but that is... my room is literally TINY, sitting at 0.7m from the front wall, the 8030C at exactly 5cm from front wall (wall behind the port) and engaged, bass tilt -4db, desktop and bass roll off, 7040A at similar distance from front wall under the desk, rear wall was like 1.5m from front wall, making the reflection nulls at 45, 95,150 and 250hz.. for 7040A I set the sensitivity to be 2db higher than the 8030C, bass roll off to -2db, and the extension to 25hz was done by wall gain.. I would say luckily the Genelec preset profiles fits my room pretty perfectly. below are the 8030Cs measured L+R channel and L+R response before the 7040A
8030C measure.jpg
L+R.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor

View attachment 139300
A quick look maybe if you can try using the desktop, and bass roll off switch, then pair with a sub low passed at around 100-120hz may make it a lot better?

Trell

Major Contributor

A very big advantage of using a subwoofer is the possibility to even out the bass.

D

Deleted member 12642

I'll give the desktop switch a shot and see what that does. Thanks for the advice.

I know subs are there to help even out the low end, but frankly I've just never cared for them for some reason. I actually kind of prefer my low end to roll off around 50hz, if I need to check bass around or below I just toss on my dt770's.

txbdan

I have 8030Cs in a 12x13ft room and I definitely enjoy having a sub (JBL LSR310S with fixed 80Hz xover) with them. They're certainly useable without a sub, but when you flip the sub on its like, oh yeah I was missing that. I EQ with DiracLive and like a OliveToole'ish target.

Top Bottom