• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Frankly, it's hell to choose an AVR

Godataloss

Good luck with the 3800h. It is an incredible value!
Mu fears on this unit were unfounded. Setup and control are flexible, logical and quick. Haven't done any calibration save by ear and I'm loving it so far. Chimp Empire on Netflix is giving me the willies. Looking for suggestions on height channel speakers. Think I'm gonna need a baller center channel too. It's always been an after thought in my past setups.

Reactions: phn

TheFiend1

I think the Denon 3800 getting Dirac bass control in the near future and having 4 independent subwoofer outputs makes it the most competitive product hands down this year.

I would not know why anyone would buy anything else.

I mean feature wise - cool.

That last sentence though I disagree with. In my at home tests, I did not like the sound I had gotten from the Denon AVR and I had the same experience at the demo room. I was coming from a high end Pioneer Elite that I had for 12 years so I was used to their sound. I tested Pioneer, Denon, Marantz and Arcam and ended up not liking Marantz the most, then Denon (sound wise). :insert shrug emoji:

Sometimes its not just about features but the overall package.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 4800h can independently turn on seperate amplifiers based on input. Example: For inputs used for music my 4500h is set to only trigger my front stage amplifier. For video inputs I trigger all amplifiers. This is useful if you care about wasting energy and leaving your unused amplifier running.
You mean the internal amps?

Godataloss

That last sentence though I disagree with. In my at home tests, I did not like the sound I had gotten from the Denon AVR and I had the same experience at the demo room. I was coming from a high end Pioneer Elite that I had for 12 years so I was used to their sound. I tested Pioneer, Denon, Marantz and Arcam and ended up not liking Marantz the most, then Denon (sound wise). :insert shrug emoji:

Having lived with the 3800 for a couple months now, I can confidently say it doesn't have any 'sound signature'. What you are hearing is most likely setup/EQ differences. The 3800 is quite flexible and I'm pleased enough with the sound that I'm questioning whether I'll pony up for Dirac now that it is available. The available surround mixes are so variable in my experience, each show/movie requires MASSIVE adjustment of levels.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Did you compare those various AVRs with the level matched? to 1 dB at least? .1 dB would have been ideal but is dfficuolt to achieve

The Denon AVR-X3800 is a most interesting features-laden, package.

Happy holidays!

Peace.

TheGeeDawg

I see. One trigger should be enough right?
If you only have 1 amp or you always run all amps then one trigger is fine. Like I said earlier. If you have multiple amps then multiple triggers are very useful when there is no need for a particular amp.
In my case I have one amp for my Front speakers and another for the center and surrounds.
When I am listening 2 2 channel music I only trigger the amp for the front speakers. If I’m watching a movie I trigger both amps. I basically saves wasting energy by having an amp turned on when not in use.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you only have 1 amp or you always run all amps then one trigger is fine. Like I said earlier. If you have multiple amps then multiple triggers are very useful when there is no need for a particular amp.
In my case I have one amp for my Front speakers and another for the center and surrounds.
When I am listening 2 2 channel music I only trigger the amp for the front speakers. If I’m watching a movie I trigger both amps. I basically saves wasting energy by having an amp turned on when not in use.
Oh I see. So you don’t use any of the internal amps? I always assumed the trigger is for when you need to use surround channels which the receiver can decode but does not have internal amps for.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone else keeping an eye on CES, hopeful that new AVR release dates will be announced? (Thinking of the Denon X6800 in particular). Any predictions regarding this?

valerianf

I have to replace a Yamaha RX A700 that I am using for music and HT.
After years of investigation it seems to me that the Onkyo RZ70 is the good choice.
it has Dirac that can be customized and also a powerful amp section.
I am waiting for @amirm to test it but time is passing and nothing is popping up.

valerianf

No @Rednaxela , I am waiting for Amir test to push the trigger to order a RZ70.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Did someone else send one in then?

I don’t understand.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I mean without anyone sending one in you can wait forever.

Top Bottom