• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal - Same tweeter on the Katana 3 as the Sopra 1?

dman777

I have heard some people say that the tweeter on the Focal Spora 1 is not as harsh as the Katana 3. Are they the same treeter? And if so, why would that be?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kanta 1
1695308612905.png

Sopra 1
1695308643172.png

Based upon the measurements, the treble is different showing a correlation between subjective opinion and measurements.

OP
D

dman777

The upper lines look very similar to me.... how can you tell?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The upper lines look very similar to me.... how can you tell?
The Sopra’s crossover is 2.1 kHz so the distortion spike you see at 1 kHz is one octave below.

Looking at the FR itself, the amplitude of the irregularities is higher on the cheaper model.
1695311457408.png

1695311477994.png

This may be not related to the tweeter itself but the whole system (enclosure and crossover and tweeter).

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
While all focal beryllium tweeters look exactly the same, they are all different for each lineup.
Kanta's tweeters are not the same as Sopra's one.
Kanta's one are the latest iteration of their IAL tweeter (IAL3).

Does means nothing about being better or not than previous ones.
Just having different parameters.

I have Kantas 2 and my subjective opinion is their are not harsh at all and way less than my previous speakers (few DBs less in the treble region).
My own measurements seems to validate that point.

When looking over the web for subjective opinions, it seems that there is a lot a people indicating that kanta's are less harsh than other focal lineups.
I can't confirm as I did not had a chance to measure any other beryllium based focals.

OP
D

dman777

While all focal beryllium tweeters look exactly the same, they are all different for each lineup.
Kanta's tweeters are not the same as Sopra's one.
Kanta's one are the latest iteration of their IAL tweeter (IAL3).

Does means nothing about being better or not than previous ones.
Just having different parameters.

I have Kantas 2 and my subjective opinion is their are not harsh at all and way less than my previous speakers (few DBs less in the treble region).
My own measurements seems to validate that point.

When looking over the web for subjective opinions, it seems that there is a lot a people indicating that kanta's are less harsh than other focal lineups.
I can't confirm as I did not had a chance to measure any other beryllium based focals.

On this review, they say that the tweeters can be to harsh. Like when they played the Lenny Kravitz song, there was alot of ssss in his voice. My Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers can be like that also and I would like to avoid that. Would the Kanta 2's be like this also? Are Kantas 2 tweeters the same as Kantas 3s?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I assume that all kantas share the same tweeter.
Now, as all models have different parameters (shape, crossover, ....), some difference are to be expected, especially between No1 and No2/No3 ( between these two ones, only the low frequency response should change).

Generally speaking, Focal speakers are not "shy" in the trebles.
And the result depends on the room and placement as most of speakers.

That's why, for me, DSP is a must have, especially in bright untreated rooms.

I does not matter for me if room /speaker have some minor minor issues fixable by DSP (depending on speaker capabilities , directivity, ...).

For example, with Dirac, among applied correction on the lower end, I also lower down a bit trebles using a soft slope, not because it is harsh, but because the room is bright.

I never trust online reviewers that review subjectively without backing up claims /opinions with measurements.
Without proof, that's bullshit.

Last edited:
OP
D

dman777

I assume that all kantas shares the same tweeter.
Now, as all models have different parameters (shape, crossover, ....), some difference are to be expected, especially between No1 and No2/No3 ( between these ones, only the low frequency response should change).

Generally speaking, Focal speakers are not "shy" in the trebles.
And the result depends on the room and placement as most of speakers.

That's why, for me, DSP is a must have, especially bright untreated room.

Does not matter if room /speaker have some fixable minor issues (depending on speaker capabilities , directivity, ...).

For example, with Dirac, I lower down a bit trebles using a low slope, not because it is harsh, but because the room is bright.

I never trust online reviewers that review subjectively without backing up claims /opinions with measurements.
Without proof, that's bullshit.
What are you using for DSP, the Dirac? Does that require you to have a PC in your listening room?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
What are you using for DSP, the Dirac? Does that require you to have a PC in your listening room?
I am using a minidsp Flex.

You do need a laptop and an umik for doing the calibration and measurements, but once crossovers are done (if you have subs), Dirac filters (and optionally your own PEQ filters) done, you upload everything on the device and not need anything else.
The Flex device apply all computed filters on its own.
You also can have different presents with different corrections and settings

OP
D

dman777

I don't really like room correction software.... would a EQ tame the highs on focals? I know from my Sonus Faber Lumina II, treble doesn't really help.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Depends. I have an Arcam SR250 but the other option includes integrated amps from NAD or the use of a MiniDSP.

I don't really like room correction software.... would a EQ tame the highs on focals? I know from my Sonus Faber Lumina II, treble doesn't really help.
Most room correction software in entry-level AVRs have a lot of weaknesses as opposed to strengths. Dirac has gotten into the realm where it's actually very good and suitable for enthusiasts.

EQ can be thought of as a simple version of room correction.

The inverted dome of the focals are noted for their wide treble dispersion, which exceeds the Harman recommended steadily increasing directivity index.

Your budget is quite high for speakers, so understanding your room, your sources, and preferences can probably help you a lot. Since you like your Yamaha gear, I'll again recommend the NS3000 and NS5000

Top Bottom