• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Sopra no.2 vs Audio Physic Codex

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Borrensen/Raidho and Aavik are all ‘high end’ in that sphere aesthetics often are more important than actual sound quality.
I couldn’t find any measurements for Borrensen but this is pretty poor especially considering the price.
Don’t the Aaviks use a class-d module, a Boxem amp is almost certainly as good if not better .

If you send me that Aavik, I'll send you a Boxem—bottom of the range in each case, so not the Arthur which looks rather nice, instead the new one, which is [no, our friend Fred is an elegant gentleman, I'm not going to type my opinion of the new aesthetic—I appreciate the cooling function though, perhaps it will grow on me]. But I'll trade aesthetics/haptics/industrial design for inaudible signal reproduction metrics most days.

Last edited:

Svend P

Borrensen/Raidho and Aavik are all ‘high end’ in that sphere aesthetics often are more important than actual sound quality.
I couldn’t find any measurements for Borrensen but this is pretty poor especially considering the price.
Don’t the Aaviks use a class-d module, a Boxem amp is almost certainly as good if not better .
Raidho TD3.8 loudspeaker Measurements.

Keith
Apparently Aavik just use Pascal modules directly

aavik-i580-06.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes like so much ‘high end’ you are buying a nice case and you hope at least reasonable performance.
Keith

OP
S

swindler

I just like what I hear, not what the measurement graph says, and I know the Borresens don't measure very well, but everyone loves the sound of the Borresens. I can say the same about the B&W 800 series, most people like the b&w sound.

Before the Aavik, I had a Marantz PM-Ki Ruby + Pontus 2 12th Dac + Gaia DDC, and I like the sound of the Aavik much more than the sound of the components listed above. By the way, I bought an Aavik with a DAC and Phono for 4K, who didn’t buy this amplifier for this price?
I bought Borresen x3 for 8k (new).

I don't think I paid for luxury components, I primarily paid for the sound.

Eldar.

Svend P

Acording to Harman research, people prefer a flat response. And amplifiers all sound the same. You haven't read much on this site, have you? :)
thumbnail.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just like what I hear, not what the measurement graph says, and I know the Borresens don't measure very well, but everyone loves the sound of the Borresens. I can say the same about the B&W 800 series, most people like the b&w sound.

Before the Aavik, I had a Marantz PM-Ki Ruby + Pontus 2 12th Dac + Gaia DDC, and I like the sound of the Aavik much more than the sound of the components listed above. By the way, I bought an Aavik with a DAC and Phono for 4K, who didn’t buy this amplifier for this price?
I bought Borresen x3 for 8k (new).

I don't think I paid for luxury components, I primarily paid for the sound.

Eldar.
As long as you are happy that is the important thing.
Keith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad you like them. Two 4.5 inch bass drivers and it looks like 3 ports?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Acording to Harman research, people prefer a flat response. And amplifiers all sound the same. You haven't read much on this site, have you? :)
View attachment 332088

None of those familiar preference curves are flat. Smooth, maybe, but not flat, certainly.

Top Bottom