• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Kanta 2 towers or Sopra 1 bookshelves with pair of subs?

dman777

I am having a hard time deciding. This is for a room at 300 sq feet. I do not use room correction and I also do not treat my room (I choose not to and there is no changing that).

I have narrowed my choices between Focal Kanta 2 towers or Focal Sopra 1 with 2 REL 510 subs (or maybe just one).

A McIntosh 12000 would be the amp.

Which Focal speaker set up would give the best imaging, sound stage, and sound full?

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd say you have to first decide whether you prefer Focal's flax drivers or W cone drivers.

Last edited:

Godataloss

The bookshelf/sub setup will (likely) be more flexible for overcoming acoustic room problems, but in my experience a pair of towers is easier to integrate visually in a standard smallish sized living room.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I own a pair of Kanta 2 combined with a pair of SVS SB1000pro subs (integrated with a minidsp Flex).
I do really enjoy my system.
From an aesthetic standpoint I prefer towers than bookshelves.
But if I had to compose my system again, I would opt for sopra no 1 and subs.
I do not conceive not having subs, whatever the mains are.
So tower is not justified and Sopra would do the job for your room size.

OP
D

dman777

I own a pair of Kanta 2 combined with a pair of SVS SB1000pro subs (integrated with a minidsp Flex).
I do really enjoy my system.
From an aesthetic standpoint I prefer towers than bookshelves.
But if I had to compose my system again, I would opt for sopra no 1 and subs.
I do not conceive not having subs, whatever the mains are.
So tower is not justified and Sopra would do the job for your room size.
Oh wow, I feel the same as you... the Kanta's 2 look cooler. But I am going for best sound rather than looks. Can you please tell me why you would choose the Sopra 1s if you could do it over again?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Oh wow, I feel the same as you... the Kanta's 2 look cooler. But I am going for best sound rather than looks. Can you please tell me why you would choose the Sopra 1s if you could do it over again?
Because in my room (30 m2) or yours (27m2) , sopra 1 SPL will be enough. Subs will take care of the low end. No real need for bigger mains cabinets.
I did not auditioned nor measured Sopra 1.
While a measured my Kantas hundreds of times.
Checks available measurements on stereophile.
More generally, from an aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the sopra Line design.
But when I bought the kantas, I was focused on towers and Sopra 2 were way more expensive and I do not think the difference of price was justified.
I then go the Kantas 2 and pleased with them.

Digital_Thor

I am having a hard time deciding. This is for a room at 300 sq feet. I do not use room correction and I also do not treat my room (I choose not to and there is no changing that).

I have narrowed my choices between Focal Kanta 2 towers or Focal Sopra 1 with 2 REL 510 subs (or maybe just one).

A McIntosh 12000 would be the amp.

Which Focal speaker set up would give the best imaging, sound stage, and sound full?
Always buy minimum 2 subwoofers. And please consider room EQ and proper placement for the subwoofers. You may be able to tame the response a bit with the 2 subwoofers and the mains.... but that one big room resonance.... is going to dominate the hell out of your system if not really really careful. And then all that money will be an unbelievable waste. Sorry to say - but I really mean well :)

You will also have some suck outs from the reflections from the rear wall and the speakers in such small space, which is difficult to avoid, unless using some kind of cardioid design or DSP controlled woofers like in Kii3, to control the radiation pattern.

Your post's in general seems to indicate a dance around the hugely expensive gear, but with no real technical aim - and on this forum, we kinda like to advise through well proven theories... not just guessing. But I wish you the best of luck winging it like this :cool:

Top Bottom