• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Sopra no.2 vs Audio Physic Codex

swindler

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking to upgrade my current speakers (Buchardt S400 Signature edition) and trying to decide which speaker to get.
At the moment I am looking for the 2 options:

Option 1:
Focal Sopra no.2

Option 2:
Audio Physic Codex 2

Considering the budget I will buy used speakers.

I would like to hear the opinion of a person who has already heard both systems, why is one better than the other and what is their advantage over the other?
Unfortunately, in my country there is no opportunity to listen to this or that speaker myself and I have to make a choice from reviews and personal assessments of audiophiles.

My room is about 35 to 40 sq m (380 to 430 sq ft)
Source: Lumin U2 mini
Amp/preamp, DAC: Aavik U-150
Most of the time I listen to jazz, blues and rock music.

Please feel free to suggest alternative speakers :)

Norcal

I'll ask the obligatory question first. What is it that you are wishing to accomplish specifically by upgrading? Or in other words, in what is lacking with your Buchardts that would be solved by either of these two speakers? Understanding that may help the community understand how you arrived at these two candidates vs all the other products on the market and would also inform other speaker recommendations.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Also they are very different designs aren’t Audio Physic omnis?
You definitely need to listen to those before you buy.
Keith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
What made you preselect the Audio Physics?

I just quickly scanned their webpage and didn’t find a single piece of factual useful information to determine if there is a chance that they might be reproducing sound somewhat accurately. This usually makes my alarm bells go off. Or is there some I have overlooked?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AP I have heard , Tempo, weren't omni they had side mount bass woofers but the mid and tweeter were front mount.

1700854782965.png

OP
S

swindler

I'll ask the obligatory question first. What is it that you are wishing to accomplish specifically by upgrading? Or in other words, in what is lacking with your Buchardts that would be solved by either of these two speakers? Understanding that may help the community understand how you arrived at these two candidates vs all the other products on the market and would also inform other speaker recommendations.

Hi,
I lack depth and transparency, the soundstage isn't as big as I'd like, and lastly, I don't get any punch from the Buchardt S400. maybe due to the size of the room, I think my room is too big for these speakers.

Also they are very different designs aren’t Audio Physic omnis?
You definitely need to listen to those before you buy.
Keith
I know, they are very different, unfortunately as I mentioned I do not have chance to listen any of them.

What made you preselect the Audio Physics?

I just quickly scanned their webpage and didn’t find a single piece of factual useful information to determine if there is a chance that they might be reproducing sound somewhat accurately. This usually makes my alarm bells go off. Or is there some I have overlooked?

Also, I found review of the Audio Physic Midex.
Codex is one level above Midex.

BTW, I have read many reviews on the forums about AP speakers, and everyone who has heard these speakers feels a very detailed, large and deep soundstage.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In this business it is almost impossible to find a bad review!
Only here, even JA at Stereophile has to sugar coat the actuality to make the review more palatable.
Omnis are very different personally I feel they are just a sham attempt to recreate the live music experience which of course they never can.
Keith

OP
S

swindler

In this business it is almost impossible to find a bad review!
Only here, even JA at Stereophile has to sugar coat the actuality to make the review more palatable.
Omnis are very different personally I feel they are just a sham attempt to recreate the live music experience which of course they never can.
Keith

Thank you Keith for sincerity and directness.
Maybe someone will respond who heard these speakers in live, the opinion of the owners of AP speakers is very interesting

Eldar

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ultimately you have to enjoy listening to the loudspeaker and you may find that you prefer something that isn’t ruler flat, but I would start with a list of measurement led designs KEF, Revel , March Audio etc so at least you know what a transparent loudspeaker sounds like and then go from there.
Here, Erin’s Audio corner and Stereophile ( don’t bother reading the subjective part of their reviews because they will tell you absolutely nothing) are a good place to start.
Keith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi,
I lack depth and transparency, the soundstage isn't as big as I'd like, and lastly, I don't get any punch from the Buchardt S400. maybe due to the size of the room, I think my room is too big for these speakers.

Also, I found review of the Audio Physic Midex.
Codex is one level above Midex.

BTW, I have read many reviews on the forums about AP speakers, and everyone who has heard these speakers feels a very detailed, large and deep soundstage.
Look. I am with Keith here.

These reviews are simply advertisements disguised as reviews. That’s a sad practice in the HiFi industry.

Also asking others isn’t really helpful either, even if they are fully trustworthy, to select a speaker for your liking. Everyone perceives sound differently, listens in a different room and has different preferences.

Best way to select a speaker is to preselect based on facts eg measurements to ensure the speaker is well engineered and technically ok. Then ideally order them home or ask a dealer to bring them to you especially at that price range, where you then listen and find out what you like most.

Have a look at Armir or Erin (Audiocorner) reviews or the overview listed in spinorama.org. For the price range you are looking at, I would have a look at eg KEF Reference 3 or Reference 5 or KEF R11 Meta or JBL or Ascend or the larger aktiv speakers from KEF LS 60 or Genelec or Dutch and Dutch. I am sure I am missing a few, but those are usually brands which pay close attention to science and engineering and not rely on marketing stories.

Alternatively you could look into adding a sub or two to your current system.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Doenerkunde

Measurements of the Focal, made in the NRC anechoic chamber in Canada:
focal.gif

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...al-sopra-no2-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=153

Measurements of the Audio Physic by a german magazine (non-anechoic spliced/gated measurements):

ap.png

https://www.audiophysic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/CODEX_LP_10-16.pdf

I have not listened to them. Audio Physic speakers are generally known for slim baffle speakers that tend to "disappear" and provide a very believable soundstage, but I would suspect that the verdict on Amirs Klippel would be, that they are too bright for his liking.

Penelinfi

I'm guessing he may want wider dispersion for the "live feeling".

Bass punch could be more attainable from larger/more woofers, but the position or room modes also need to be looked at, as you may have a null in the "punch" région

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Measurements of the Focal, made in the NRC anechoic chamber in Canada:
View attachment 329323
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...al-sopra-no2-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=153

Measurements of the Audio Physic by a german magazine (non-anechoic spliced/gated measurements):

View attachment 329324
https://www.audiophysic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/CODEX_LP_10-16.pdf

I have not listened to them. Audio Physic speakers are generally known for slim baffle speakers that tend to "disappear" and provide a very believable soundstage, but I would suspect that the verdict on Amirs Klippel would be, that they are too bright for his liking.
Thanks for digging this up. At least something.

I agree on the Audio Physics. Directivity (from the little info) seems to be falling of a cliff at higher frequencies too. Plus the graph seems quite smoothed.

OP
S

swindler

Hi again,

I ended up getting a great deal on Borresen x3 speakers and bought them.
I'm expecting delivery before the end of the year, I hope my decision will not disappoint me.

I will update the thread when the Borresens will be delivered.

Thank you all very much!

Eldar.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Couldn’t find one single measurement of them, every manufacturer should include actual measurements unless ofcourse…
Keith

Svend P

Hi again,

I ended up getting a great deal on Borresen x3 speakers and bought them.
I'm expecting delivery before the end of the year, I hope my decision will not disappoint me.

I will update the thread when the Borresens will be delivered.

Thank you all very much!

Eldar.
Did you listen to them before buying? I get the impression most Børresen speakers are an aquired taste, since they don't measure flat.

OP
S

swindler

Hi,

I am almost sure that the Borresen x3 speakers do not measure flat, and unfortunately I have not listened to them before since in my country there is no physical opportunity to listen to them, like most other speakers.
But one day I listened to Scansonic speakers and like how they sound and I think that Borresen x3 speakers characteristics will be similar to the Scansonics.

And one more thing, I think that my Aavik U-150 amplifier will go well with Borresen speakers.

Eldar.

Svend P

You seem to be into luxury items more that best sound for your money. Which is fine. It is just not what this forum is about. Any amplifier with sufficient power will do, and Dirac will make a much bigger improvement to the sound.

I don't think there is a secret sauce to the Scansonics. They would get tiring after some time.
If you really wanted the best sound for your money, look at the recommended speaker list on this site.

Scansonic MB6 B measurements. This is just bad.

221scansonic.lab1.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi,

I am almost sure that the Borresen x3 speakers do not measure flat, and unfortunately I have not listened to them before since in my country there is no physical opportunity to listen to them, like most other speakers.
But one day I listened to Scansonic speakers and like how they sound and I think that Borresen x3 speakers characteristics will be similar to the Scansonics.

And one more thing, I think that my Aavik U-150 amplifier will go well with Borresen speakers.

Eldar.
Borrensen/Raidho and Aavik are all ‘high end’ in that sphere aesthetics often are more important than actual sound quality.
I couldn’t find any measurements for Borrensen but this is pretty poor especially considering the price.
Don’t the Aaviks use a class-d module, a Boxem amp is almost certainly as good if not better .
Raidho TD3.8 loudspeaker Measurements.

Keith

Top Bottom