• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Dome Flax Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 157 84.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why does it look like it's coming apart at the bottom? Is the fit and finish really that bad?
It is a snap on cover for the wiring underneath but I could not get it to easily do so.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could the cover not fully closing contribute to the buzzing case? Now if someone would send you a Gallo A'Diva Ti speaker.
No, the enclosure is sealed. The cover is just cosmetic.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely brutal. Frequency response starts to droop at 180Hz, which is more than an octave above where bass becomes directive, so that's a problem on top of the terrible mid/treble unevenness.

I get that there are design restraints when trying to build something this small, but if you're going to deliver results like a $50 speaker, you can't charge almost $700 for it.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I don’t get Focal.

If speakers is what you do. Day after day, year after year, decade after decade. Wouldn’t you reach a point where you just say no we can’t release this?
Kind of sad really. In general Focal speakers tend to measure fairly well...at least the ones on the follow up links to this stream. For them to create something this horrible and so ridiculously over priced makes one (once again) have to face the reality that even respected companies can create shite and sell it as something unique and special…in this case defined as as a “Lifestyle speaker.” What the hell does that mean anyway? :facepalm:

Thank you AmIr for exposing yet another broken overpriced joke.

nav

Forum Donor
I have these (bought them open box with zero defects from Crutchfield as well as the ceiling speakers). I can only say that after getting the direction right with the calibration software from my receiver, they sound incredible for their size. They're mounted high on the wall against a white/alabaster wall and given those constraints, I think they sound quite amazing.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look at some of these tiny satellite speakers and think they might be just the ticket if you want to find some cheap height speakers for a small Atmos system. Problem is these guys aren't cheap and they're terrible performers. I think their performance is no better (probably worse) than this small coincident driver speaker recently reviewed in EAC.

Those Monoprice speakers are only $250/pr, while these are $689 each or $4000 for a 5.1 with subwoofer. That's just an eye watering amount of money for something that performs no better than the Micas and Monoprices of the world. Obviously, designed for a non-audiophile looking to buy a lifestyle product from a prominent audio name brand. Focal management ought to be ashamed of themselves for this offering.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think these would be a big improvement over those little Focals.

I’d actually like to see these tested. The company’s frequency response graph looks pretty flat except for the high treble lift.

YSC

Major Contributor
the 1-3khz region seems like is a severe resonance? I wonders if the EQ really able to fix that area. if able to fix and used in a set with the sub, it could sound great in a 5.1 HT system with style though.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See my comment. These have been independently tested by Erin, my comment has the link.
Erin did a test of these speakers , I’ve have not seen/read it yet so I don’t know the verdict.

But just by eyeballing it I take the Monoprice satellites for souround duties any day if the focal where the other option.

Do they come in white ? It’s required by some ( not me ) .

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, @amirm !
costs US $689 by itself or $4,000 as part of a 5.1 package with a subwoofer.
They are $689 *each*!
I meant euros in France, I should have precised my bad. That's one more reason to buy local I guess.
Here in The Netherlands a single Dome Flax costs € 329,- and the 5.1 package will set you back 'only' € 1.999
Same story: as always, Focal is stupidly overpriced in NA... :facepalm:

To put things in perspective, the Dome Flax costs 299€ here (219€ on sale). The 5.1 set with sub, 1499€ (at this very moment: 1289€ on sale, and I've already seen it below 1100€). No one in his right mind would pay $4000 for this kit.

...Doesn't excuse this horrendous performance...

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
The excuse is that it won't make a difference anyway. The targeted customer may not take too much care when setting "the system" up. Visual aspects may play the most prominent role, and she (sic!) is going to be satisfied if all 6 channels of the 5.1 make some noise. This adventure, to set it all up namely, will be a welcome talking point for father-in-law's next visit. The freshly acquired expertise may even lead to question Bose's alternative. You get what you pay for.

Under the surface the problem is the consumer's (logically futile) wish to replicate the cinema's 5.1 at home. To keep the polarity of cables right for all speakers is a challenge. To argue with acoustics is a subsequent step only, later in time or never. One could focus on digital formats instead as a next talking point.

Jhify

Thanks, @amirm !

Same story: as always, Focal is stupidly overpriced in NA... :facepalm:

To put things in perspective, the Dome Flax costs 299€ here (219€ on sale). The 5.1 set with sub, 1499€ (at this very moment: 1289€ on sale, and I've already seen it below 1100€). No one in his right mind would pay $4000 for this kit.

I beleive this is pricing marketing. That way you have a chance to make the customer beleive he is buying "French luxury". I've seen 3 euros bottle of french wine sold 150 overseas.

Jhify

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my opinion, this type of spherical loudspeaker, with its obvious advantage in terms of diffraction, only works well with a coaxial, as Cabasse has been doing for some time now.
GammeiO2_980x260.jpg

Top Bottom