• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Why can't I always trust my own senses – specifically my hearing?

Why are expensive bespoke products made with care and devotion by dedicated western artisans not necessarily any better (by any measureable criteria) than cheap mass-produced products made in low-wage third world countries?

I'm special – a bunch of average normies can't possibly hear better than me!

XX influencer on YouTube said this product is good and I always trust his recommendations because he seems like a nice guy and votes for the same party as me, so why should I trust your recommendations?

Analogue is obviously better than digital because it's more 'natural' ...

This scientific theory is obviously wrong – I have my own theory how this really works ...
A lot of those aren't questions. Maybe they can be reformatted as such. And how frequently are they in fact asked here? If not often then FAQ isn't the rubric. Perhaps an organized encyclopedia of ASR wisdom is what we really want, a reference section we can link to instead of typing. A wiki, perhaps, like @Keith_W mentioned here.

The issue of youtube is especially vexing. I don't know how to tell people that the youtube celebs they adore are in fact a-holes and full of it. I guess it would be handy to have a reference section I could point to when someone says how great Rick Beato is.

Last edited:

mns3dhm

Separate answers for, amplifiers, preamplifiers, DACs, speakers, please:
Which measurements are important?
What is the relative order of importance of the various measurements you can make for a particular type of audio product?
Which measurements, while possible, are not very relevant to our ability to hear their impact on sound quality?
What cannot be measured using current technology or financial considerations that are relevant to sound quality?

Nitreb

Hello everyone. One of the items on my TODO list has been to create Frequently Asked Question both about ASR in general, and audio in the specific. I have a good idea of what I like to include but thought I might be missing some. So would you please post what questions you think should be in the FAQ in either category?

Please don't try to answer the questions or argue with each other. I am just trying to get input on the questions that are common enough to go into FAQ.

Thanks,
I would add this question:
When testing equipment, would it not be better to listen first and then measure, since measuring first followed by listening may introduce a bias?

AudioX3

Why do measurements matter?
How can rave reviewed components elsewhere get headless reviews on ASR?
What are the most important measurements?
What are the top snake oil myths and why are they bogus?
But what if I like the sound of a component with a bad ASR review?

Multicore

Major Contributor
When I first came here, I was confused by your Name, and your avatar.
I had assumed your name "AMIRM" to be your actual name at first.

And I was not sure about the avatar, if you were potentially Oriental or something.
When I arrived here in late 2019 a lot of profile pics were of elegant ladies. That was a nice surprise, I remember thinking, audio nerds that understand some engineering look a lot different from the other kind.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Why the ”room” has such a massive impact on sound

ranking order of investment, ie speakers and room > amp > dac > cables etc

amarsicola

Forum Donor
1 what is ASR and who pays for it
2 what is hi fi?
3 how to educate my hearing
4 a good loudspeaker
5 a good amplifier
5.1 do i need a preamplifier?
6 a good dac
7 a good streamer
8 cables
9 the world of vinil
10 room correction
11 what should i buy
12 power conditioner and other snake oil stuff

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a point where a speaker is doing it's job as well as it can be expected to in an average living room? Which speakers approach that and how much do I need to spend to get there?

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) If I have a product that sounds good, but measures poorly, will upgrading improve my sound or have I already crossed the threshold of audibility, where whatever cost is sunk is sunk.

[I think the idea is that transparency is not expensive in the present day, so you might as well buy the best measuring even if you don’t hear the differences. But if you already have something, instead of upgrading the electronics, upgrade the speaker]

2) What is the significance of gain matching?

3) When is high versus low dispersion favorable? Horizontal vs Vertical?

4) When do we EQ above or below the schroeder frequency?

5) How do I determine the Schroeder frequency in my own room

6) Can room correction and EQ improve my sound if I have to put the speakers in a less ideal location?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
A lot of those aren't questions. Maybe they can be reformatted as such. And how frequently are they in fact asked here? If not often then FAQ isn't the rubric. Perhaps an organized encyclopedia of ASR wisdom is what we really want, a reference section we can link to instead of typing. A wiki, perhaps, like @Keith_W mentioned here.

If more people like the Wiki idea, perhaps they should repeat the call in this thread. There are so many advantages a Wiki has over a FAQ:

- it can be multi-author and multi-editor
- can be updated as an when required
- more readable format than a FAQ
- can link to references
- much more in-depth

One example ... many people have been bugging Amir for "REW for dummies Part 3" and he hasn't written one since Part 2 was published in 2019 (?). I can think of a few people who could write Part 3, heck even I could write some of it :) If it was a Wiki, this article would exist by now.

I have been dreaming of an ASR Wiki for a while. It would be great if it were to happen.

Simfunk

I think, a forum is great for discussions, but for organizing knowledge a wiki is the right tool. A lot of content from this forum could just be exported there. (Suggestion for a wiki software: wiki.js)

sunao

Basic calculations of spec values

I had a question about how to convert In between Vrms and dBu etc... the expert @staticV3 helped me, but it can be good if we have a FAQ for newbies like me.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A list of acronyms with definitions
Audibility line plots for typical 20, 40, and 60 yr old people based on published research on all pertinent graphs such as distortion measurements. At least a set of graphs that can be viewed as a reference for each test if not on every test graph would be helpful.

Last edited:

spandy

Probably separate than your goal here but another vote for a Wiki. Especially interested in a section on room correction and a certain 'part 3' :D.

D700

Hi Amir. I think it is better to make a Wiki. That way, it can be organic and anybody can contribute. We need a board of editors for the Wiki though. I nominate you ;)
I’m fine with an audio authoritarian as long as it’s @amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom