• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Community Gimme Your Best Shot

Cool Runnings

Thanks to this community I’ve moved from making purchases based on subjective reviews to being a convert to measurement based audio system set up.

For my bedroom (12x12ft) system I’ve begun the process of changing out each of the 4 main parts from about 6 months ago. First step was changing the amp to Topping PA5II+. Next and the biggest impact so far was getting the Ascend Acoustics Sierra1 V2s. These are 2 of the best rated products in their categories as far as I can tell from the reviews and rating charts here in ASR.

These 2 components are complemented by Cambridge MXN10 streamer/ dac/ preamp and AudioEngine S6 sub.

So far I’m really enjoying the big improvements in SQ.

What are your recommendations if any on how to improve on this?

Are there any streamer, DAC, preamp (separates or combi) and subwoofers that can improve SQ for this setup?

As this isn’t a big space I need smaller sized components. No bigger than about 15in W x 15in D ideally.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thanks to this community I’ve moved from making purchases based on subjective reviews to being a convert to measurement based audio system set up.

For my bedroom (12x12ft) system I’ve begun the process of changing out each of the 4 main parts from about 6 months ago. First step was changing the amp to Topping PA5II+. Next and the biggest impact so far was getting the Ascend Acoustics Sierra1 V2s. These are 2 of the best rated products in their categories as far as I can tell from the reviews and rating charts here in ASR.

These 2 components are complemented by Cambridge MXN10 streamer/ dac/ preamp and AudioEngine S6 sub.

So far I’m really enjoying the big improvements in SQ.

What are your recommendations if any on how to improve on this?

Are there any streamer, DAC, preamp (separates or combi) and subwoofers that can improve SQ for rhis setup?

As this isn’t a big space I need smaller sized components.
First off “Welcome Aboard”. We are pleased you joined and have begun the journey away from subjective opinions towards a more scientific approach. About your questions above. It might help to provide a few snapshots of your room and equipment placement. Many things can be resolved with pictures. Next maybe try to explain what you feel needs to be improved or what other functionality you are looking for. Like adding a Network Streamer or a music storage system. Just as examples of expanding your functionality. Also maybe indicate what your budget is for improvements and such.

Good luck and remember to just enjoy the music and not get all distracted with the constant urge to upgrade stuff. ;)

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

DSP with room correction surely can help, just like some more subs (for even bass sound, not for volume. Google multisub theory) spread over the room.
Thanks. I’ve been looking into DSP a bit. Seems like a real big bang for buck upgrade. Space is a bit of a constraint. I think at best I can upgrade to 8in sub. Thinking REL TZero MKIII.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

image.jpg

First off “Welcome Aboard”. We are pleased you joined and have begun the journey away from subjective opinions towards a more scientific approach. About your questions above. It might help to provide a few snapshots of your room and equipment placement. Many things can be resolved with pictures. Next maybe try to explain what you feel needs to be improved or what other functionality you are looking for. Like adding a Network Streamer or a music storage system. Just as examples of expanding your functionality. Also maybe indicate what your budget is for improvements and such.

Good luck and remember to just enjoy the music and not get all distracted with the constant urge to upgrade stuff. ;)
Thanks for the warm welcome. Am glad I found this community to stop my rabbit hole-ling.

I’m doing mostly TIDAL music streaming but need a component that can accept my portable SSD with my FLAC files converted from my CD collection.

Hoping to be able to extract even better SQ by upgrading my streamer DAC Preamp and subwoofer within USD1k to USD1.5k budget. Maybe another 500 bucks for DSP? The thing is I don’t know how much better can SQ get if at all within my constraints.

It’s a 12x12ft square bedroom not sure if this pic helps.

I like my MXN a lot as it’s a 3 in 1 streamer DAC preamp and accepts USB input SSD drive. Not sure if anything about $500 budget can do better than that. Maybe Eversolo?

Also maybe upgrade to 8in sub? REL TZero MkIII? Don’t really have space for 10in or bigger sub.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I think at best I can upgrade to 8in sub.
IMO - Even 8-inches is "small" for a woofer or subwoofer. Size isn't everything but it's usually important. You probably won't get "realistic" bass that you can feel in your body, but maybe you don't listen at "realistic" levels... (99% of the time, I'm not listening that loud, or loudly at all, but I do have a pair of 15-inch subs in large cabinets.)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I’ve been looking into DSP a bit. Seems like a real big bang for buck upgrade. Space is a bit of a constraint. I think at best I can upgrade to 8in sub. Thinking REL TZero MKIII.
Do a bunch more research because it is likely you will find out that there are much better (better includes cheaper) options.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Your cambridge is fine, that is certainly not the weak point. DSP is probally where you can gain the most. And keep the rest for an extra subwoofer, preferable with a bigger cone. I would probally first get a MiniDSP Flex with DIRAC, and then if budget allows, get a subwoofer that is at least 10", something like a SVS or so. They are not that expensive and proven good. And for sub, you can combine serveral models and cone sizes, as long as you use dsp. So you can use your actual one with the new one and spread them in the room. But first get a dsp (with measuring mic) and learn how to use it.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Take a look at my “subwoofer comparison” spreadsheet.

I’m on mobile, so the spreadsheet isn’t easily accessible to me right now.

But you can take a look at it, and narrow down by 8” models.

I think RSL comes to mind at that budget, but that could be 10”. Anyway, all the data is there.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

IMO - Even 8-inches is "small" for a woofer or subwoofer. Size isn't everything but it's usually important. You probably won't get "realistic" bass that you can feel in your body, but maybe you don't listen at "realistic" levels... (99% of the time, I'm not listening that loud, or loudly at all, but I do have a pair of 15-inch subs in large cabinets.)
It’s bedroom unit so mostly I listen at about 70-80db. I just want enough bass to be able to feel some air compression and for the sound to still have good overall balance if that makes sense. That’s why I’m pretty happy with 30ish hz bass extension so far. Just feel the AudioEngine S6 sub maybe a bit loose or boomy sometimes.

No way I can get away with anything larger than 8in or a compact 10inch at best.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Take a look at my “subwoofer comparison” spreadsheet.

I’m on mobile, so the spreadsheet isn’t easily accessible to me right now.

But you can take a look at it, and narrow down by 8” models.

I think RSL comes to mind at that budget, but that could be 10”. Anyway, all the data is there.
Will do. Thanks. I’ve got the RSL 10in in another bigger space. It’s a really nice sub but too big for my bedroom. There’s a smal KEF sub (KC62?) but that’s a bit too pricey. So is the REL T5i although it’s a bit cheaper than the KEF.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon can give you the EQ tools you need (not sub integration though) and can help you integrate streaming and local files. Requires a computer running the server, though.

A WiiM streamer has a few bands of PEQ. You have to invest in a umik and learn how to use REW for this.

The next step would be mini-DSP, which could control multiple subs and incorporate DIRAC.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Roon can give you the EQ tools you need (not sub integration though) and can help you integrate streaming and local files. Requires a computer running the server, though.

A WiiM streamer has a few bands of PEQ. You have to invest in a umik and learn how to use REW for this.

The next step would be mini-DSP, which could control multiple subs and incorporate DIRAC.
The mini DSP options look good. Will dig into them more.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Will do. Thanks. I’ve got the RSL 10in in another bigger space. It’s a really nice sub but too big for my bedroom. There’s a smal KEF sub (KC62?) but that’s a bit too pricey. So is the REL T5i although it’s a bit cheaper than the KEF.
Rel subs are trash, amps break down very fast and can't be repaired and they actually don't measure that good, they are just very hyped.

An SVS 3000 Micro is about the smallest sub i would get (from commercial subs) that is really good. It's 11x11x12" in size and is dual opposide (so already spreading bass in the room by itself. Other 8" subs ain't worth it (at least the ones i know), then the good ones start at an 10".

A sub need cone size to move air to have the low response in (relative) low distortion at a decent volume, that is just physics. A 6" won't be a real low distortion sub, or won't go loud enough (even for a small space). There is no replacement for displacement they say, and that is totally true. That is why all want to sell you 10" subs or larger...

Btw, i'm planning for my office, that is more or lesss the same size as your room a diy sub with dual 12" drivers, and even then i'm thinking i'll get a second one later...

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How'd the two-sided KEF sub do?

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Rel subs are trash, amps break down very fast and can't be repaired and they actually don't measure that good, they are just very hyped.

An SVS 3000 Micro is about the smallest sub i would get (from commercial subs) that is really good. It's 11x11x12" in size and is dual opposide (so already spreading bass in the room by itself. Other 8" subs ain't worth it (at least the ones i know), then the good ones start at an 10".

A sub need cone size to move air to have the low response in (relative) low distortion at a decent volume, that is just physics. A 6" won't be a real low distortion sub, or won't go loud enough (even for a small space). There is no replacement for displacement they say, and that is totally true. That is why all want to sell you 10" subs or larger...

Btw, i'm planning for my office, that is more or lesss the same size as your room a diy sub with dual 12" drivers, and even then i'm thinking i'll get a second one later...
Thanks for the comprehensive advice SVS 3000 it is then. I completely forgot that SVS had a solid mini sub. Good luck with the office set up!

Top Bottom