• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about Tidal's Exclusive Mode

Shallow

I have a question about Tidal's Exclusive mode. But first of all, my (office) setup is as follows. I use Tidal desktop on a laptop (Windows 10). The laptop is connected by USB to a Musical Fidelity V-Dac (circa 2010), and then the analog output from the V-Dac goes to a receiver and then to speakers. The setup is modest and was put together without much thought (using whatever I could get that fitted the space), but sounds surprisingly very pleasant.

Now, I recently read an article about Tidal's Exclusive mode. My understanding of it is that the mode allows Tidal to determine the specific bitrate and sampling rate that it will send to the dac. So I experimented with it. I found that when the Exclusive mode was on, the sound on many songs became louder (which was OK). However, I also noticed that midbass became slightly louder as well. The songs sounded slighly muddy and more compressed. I tested it back and forth several times to make sure that I was not just hearing things. I should also say that I am very sensitive to muddy sound, and I believe that what I heard was real. Please note that it did not matter whether the test was done with Force Volume engaged or not.

Now, my question is that I don't understand how bitrates and sampling rates can change the tonal quality of songs (to this extent). Did I miss anything or do anything wrong? Any explanation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: P.S. I did an internet search and found someone making a similar observation on another forum. But there was no explanation. Perhaps it was not taken seriously.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Suggests to me your Windows set up was doing some kind of DSP/ sound enhancement to the stream. Couldnt begin to say what app/ setting but engaging exclusive mode in Tidal should mean no system DSP is in the chain.

The fact that Exclusive mode was louder suggests strongly there was at least one setting engaged, even if just system wide volume. Cant explain why you heard a change in the tonality unless you had something on that reduced the midrange previously.

OP
S

Shallow

Thank you for your reply. If I understand what you wrote correctly, Windows processes digital signals before sending them out. Tidal's exclusive mode bypasses this step and send the original signals out. In this case, am I correct to think that Tidal's exclusive mode should sound the same as when I use Tidal Connect to send the signals wirelessly to a dac?

In any case, I do not know what sound enhancement Windows is doing. I do not know enough to mess with the Windows setting. But I really like the way it sounds - cleaner, clearer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal's exclusive mode should sound the same as when I use Tidal Connect to send the signals wirelessly to a dac?
Yes. Might be different levels though so one might be louder

Top Bottom