• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 341 66.1%

• Total voters

octavius

I have RME with Sabre dac. But they sounds the same according rme statement.

octavius

When the eversolo has dsp now is not neccesary to use adi 2 for those they need it.

RDaneel2

Thanks for your answers, Keith and Nutul (and Keith, I enjoyed your last half-dozen blog entries - you certainly like bursting bubbles). :)

I was able to see the A-6's LCD screen in some detail on a number of video "reviews" - it really does look pretty good (even though it is too bad it isn't OLED), and I would say from what I saw that if you crank up the brightness enough, yes, an LCD screen can look terrible (so just don't do that).

On to my "operational" questions:

* does full-quality DSD always come through the HDMI out, or is that only multi-channel DSD?

* are ordinary .m3u playlists supported? so that I could edit the files myself using a real editor and then drop them into my NAS?

* how often is NAS metadata scanned and where is it stored? note that I am only talking about 300+ or so ripped CDs... is this something that happens at each "full" power-on, so that we get around it by leaving the A-6 in some sort of standby mode?

* with a close-by WiFI 6 (802.11ax) router, is there any need to hard-wire the ethernet connection?

... and lastly,

* is there any chance the A-6's ability to oversample extends to the digital coax output? or is it only for internal DAC usage?

Thanks again!

Grobec

Hi all
I just got an Eversolo DMP A8 and have to say that I love the new chip SQ.
Very deep detail, punch and dynamics. problem is that it seems that the 4tb pci 3.0 ssd is discontinued.
Has anyone installed the 4.0 version without problems?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all
I just got an Eversolo DMP A8 and have to say that I love the new chip SQ.
Very deep detail, punch and dynamics. problem is that it seems that the 4tb pci 3.0 ssd is discontinued.
Has anyone installed the 4.0 version without problems?

Amazon has these available: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 3500MB/s - CT4000P3SSD8

I installed the 2 TB version of that in my DMP-A6 and stored all my ripped cds to it. I figured the capacity for 2,500 cds was way more than enough. I don't think I will fill it up.

yllanos

* does full-quality DSD always come through the HDMI out, or is that only multi-channel DSD?

* are ordinary .m3u playlists supported? so that I could edit the files myself using a real editor and then drop them into my NAS?

* how often is NAS metadata scanned and where is it stored? note that I am only talking about 300+ or so ripped CDs... is this something that happens at each "full" power-on, so that we get around it by leaving the A-6 in some sort of standby mode?

* with a close-by WiFI 6 (802.11ax) router, is there any need to hard-wire the ethernet connection?

* is there any chance the A-6's ability to oversample extends to the digital coax output? or is it only for internal DAC usage?

* Read manual, page 4 Spoiler: it supports either DSD multichannel or PCM multichannel up to 5.1

* Sorry, I don't use .m3u playlist. You can create playlists using the control app. Why use .m3u?

* I haven't seen a setting to edit the frequency of library scan. I personally just update my library manually every time I add a new album on my NAS, which is once a month or less. I am pretty sure it is stored somewhere on internal (system) storage. I am not sure if you can connect an external device to the unit to chack its internal storage. On "files" feature there is no DB to be shown (so it must be hidden somewhere)

* No need to hard-wire. But always recommended

* Internal DAC usage only.

Forgive me but let me ask: are you able to order via Amazon? If so, why you just order an unit and test as pleased. If not your taste, you can always return the unit. Very simple and you will get very answer you need.

RDaneel2

Thanks, yllanos! :)

Oh, man - now that I know how everything comes out, why read the manual! ;)

I have just taken some time to figure out how the m3u file formatting works out, the documentation is "scattered" at best - and the main idea is to be able use a real editor on a real screen to do possibly massive editing of playlists, rather than the little touch-screen - are those adequate reasons (and yes, I expect the A-6 will understand these files, as they seem to be a de facto standard)?

Yes, I mostly hard-wire things, and my trusty [8-port] RT-AX88U has a couple of available ports - it just seems silly for a distance of 10 feet, given the relatively low data rates involved and the reasonable level of stability in a local not very busy WiFi 6 network (I also don't have a spare CAT-6e cable lying around).

Too bad about only supporting the internal DAC for some of the cool features, but that's life.

No reason to need forgiveness - if say, Crutchfield carried these, then it would indeed be a no-brainer, as they have an actual "try before you buy" policy (technically, 60-day return privileges) - OTOH, Amazon only technically gives you "free returns" thusly: "You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition: no shipping charges"... anything else, and you get to argue with a person after going to a lot of trouble to get to one, and then you *can* get stuck for restocking and/or shipping. Just sayin'.

Basically, both Crutchfield and Amazon have treated me well, but I like to stay within their respective business models.

That said, I ordered my DMP-A6 (from Amazon) very late last night, and will see it Wednesday. ;)

I plan on having a friend help during what Keith calls an "unsighted" testing session (yes, I will be making an effort to level-match the different inputs), where I will compare the A6 and my current WiiM Pro - both using digital coax out into my Anthem AVM 90's DAC. I will report the results here, looking at both "can I reliably tell them apart" as players and if am able to do this, I will proceed with "which one sounds better". In the end, there could be no technical reason to prefer the A6 - other than its cool screen and fuller feature set. We'll see.

Last edited:

yllanos

Thanks, yllanos! :)

Oh, man - now that I know how everything comes out, why read the manual! ;)

I have just taken some time to figure out how the m3u file formatting works out, the documentation is "scattered" at best - and the main idea is to be able use a real editor on a real screen to do possibly massive editing of playlists, rather than the little touch-screen - are those adequate reasons (and yes, I expect the A-6 will understand these files, as they seem to be a de facto standard)?

Yes, I mostly hard-wire things, and my trusty [8-port] RT-AX88U has a couple of available ports - it just seems silly for a distance of 10 feet, given the relatively low data rates involved and the reasonable level of stability in a local not very busy WiFi 6 network (I also don't have a spare CAT-6e cable lying around).

Too bad about only supporting the internal DAC for some of the cool features, but that's life.

No reason to need forgiveness - if say, Crutchfield carried these, then it would indeed be a no-brainer, as they have an actual "try before you buy" policy (technically, 60-day return privileges) - OTOH, Amazon only technically gives you "free returns" thusly: "You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition: no shipping charges"... anything else, and you get to argue with a person after going to a lot of trouble to get to one, and then you *can* get stuck for restocking and/or shipping. Just sayin'.

Basically, both Crutchfield and Amazon have treated me well, but I like to stay within their respective business models.

That said, I ordered my DMP-A6 (from Amazon) very late last night, and will see it Wednesday. ;)

I plan on having a friend help during what Keith calls an "unsighted" testing session (yes, I will be making an effort to level-match the different inputs), where I will compare the A6 and my current WiiM Pro - both using digital coax out into my Anthem AVM 90's DAC. I will report the results here, looking at both "can I reliably tell them apart" and if am able to do this, I will proceed with "which one sounds better". In the end, there could be no technical reason to prefer the A6 - other than its cool screen and fuller feature set. We'll see.

Ohh I see. Well I happen to also own WiiM Pro. WiiM Pro is a good product, but Eversolo DMP-A6 is completely a level above and beyond. I mean, yes the screen is nice and all but the software and app is much more feature-complete and polished.

I can't speak a lot about sound quality because I've never used the WiiM's internal DAC, I've always used a SMSL SU-8s as DAC and Wiim as pure streamer vs DMP-A6 internal DAC. But all I can say is I definitely enjoy A6's DAC a lot more.

Hope that helps.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Have any Squeezebox users used one of these? I know that they now have Squeezelite, but I'm wondering how the "stock" operating system compares to LMS. Thanks.

dufferdan

Call me waaaay late to the party. I have had years of trying to get the perfect system for streaming files from my Mac to the house. I still have the following kit:

Squeezebox Touch streaming lossless CD quality ripped CDs (ALAC 16/44.1 for Apple compatibility) for listening to single albums, then Apple Music went lossless and hi-res, so then I was:
iPad running Apple Music via camera adapter to Topping D70S MQA
SMSE Headphone amp? Not sure one of those Asian ones highly rated by Amir….it has been awesome
Cambridge Audio 80WPC integrated amp
to Royd Minstrel speakers
Tape out from the Cambridge to a Rotel 6 channel amp to run kitchen and outside speakers on outboard volume controls.

We are renovating the living room, ripping out the old gas fireplace and installing a new low profile with a larger mantel/integrated shelving for speakers. The Royds wont fit, as lovely as they are, so looking at a wholesale upgrade.

The KEF R3 Metas have me interested, plus a number I have been watching for years, Focals, etc…
Would need a little more current to drive than the Cambridge, so thinking Bryston BP 19 Preamp and 3B cubed amp. Fixed output on the BP 19 to drive the Rotel for home remote speakers…

With the Eversolo reviews, and when I finally searched and found Amirs‘, it was the icing on the cake. First learned about it at 9AM this AM as I was researching how to reduce kit and increase utility with capacity constraints in the stereo cabinet.

Apple Music streaming, Balanced out, a DAC that is pretty killer, Android OS, so I am guessing I can install Sirius XM app for streaming that as well, plus ability to run my 5 disk Rotel CD player thru it.

I will endeavour to produce a usage review when I get everything installed when Reno’s done in 3 months. But keen as this appears to be the audio Swiss Army Knife I have been looking for for years.

I may have a ton of kit to sell soon, unless my brothers look to buy it from me…. I thing the SB Touch are still in good demand out there….

OOps, looked at the price of the BP 19….going elsewhere for pre-amp

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you only have digital sources you won’t need a ‘pre-amp’, I use Eversolo’s A-8 which has analogues ins that is a 21st century preamp.
Keith

dufferdan

If you only have digital sources you won’t need a ‘pre-amp’, I use Eversolo’s A-8 which has analogues ins that is a 21st century preamp.
Keith
I get that. I also have a tuner and potentially a turntable. A proper line out drives the extra amp for the house zones as well. But a work in process.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Quick note: I ordered this on Thursday night at 9:43, delivered noon on Friday. Took less than half an hour to unbox (Nice presentation if that matters to you) and to get it up and running. My main concern was whether the operating system was good enough, and had at least most of the features I need. No worries, it's superb. Darko did a "second thoughts" article specifically about the software if you want to check that out.
Using an external SSD drive right now, but I bought and 2TB internal SSD that will go in shortly.
Sound quality is also excellent to my ears using the unit's DAC, and there is an equalizer function, but I sure don't need it at this point.
It isn't cheap, but if you're looking for something like this, give it some thought. Very appealing visually.
Also a pretty active forum at Zidoo.

dufferdan

So dumb question: I have read that the Eversolo is based on the Android operating system. Apps can be downloaded, like Apple Music as a “sidecar” process? I thought I saw Apple music as an included app.

second, if you can download other Android apps, I think i saw you should use the tablet version, Roon and other apps are already included….can I also download SiriusXM as well? What other apps have folks downloaded that they like? Apologies but I don’t have time to read all 163 pages of the thread if already covered, I will endeavour to do so over the next month….Thanks for any and all advice….mine arrives Thursday, but won’t be able to set up until renovations done in 2 months…

Top Bottom