• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 or WIIM Pro + separate smsl DO300EX DAC

maciomacio

WiiM Pro (without +) and SMSL DO400 - €169 + €499 (Amazon - you can try it easily)

Why? Old ESS 9068*, the new ESS 9039* (D0400) and CS43198 you have the option to disable PCM filter. It is not possible with AKM.

Hello! Ciao! I'm from Italy excuse me for my poor english... I have a little question on it:
If I use the SMSL DO400 as DAC because I can't use the WiiM Pro Plus, if I want to disable PCM filters ?
(the "filter off " function is on the DO400 and not in WiiM Pro or Pro+)
Thanks. MM

RonnieB

Hi,
owner of a WIIM Pro (with SMSL D-6 or FIIO K7 here). I was fancying the Eversolo too, thus I have some ideas about the device.

In a nutshell, its a decision between independent upgradability and an All-In-One device that allows you local (NVME) playback with a balanced output design as an extra.
... I did not test it, but it seems that you could have your offline library from Qobuz stored in your device ... which can be handy at times ...

From the engineering point of view I would think the Eversolo is SOTA for the majoprity of people who know about this device.
From a hobbyist point of view I would buy it only if I would like to start other hobbies in the near future and keep testing/curiousity in the audiophile hobby at bay.

Wrt to the WII Pro, if your economic situation allows it, I'd suggest you'll go with the Pro Plus because that device has advancements in engineering (weight, analog output stage, ADC/DAC) over the Pro and it would allow you to find out if you can hear the difference between the AKM DAC (inside WIIM) and the SMSL DAC. En plus, you would be not dependend on other devices (that can fail).
Plus one, tho experience says rega dac is what youre after, 5kg so used is ok, but im going the Pro plus, convenience + vfm

Last edited:

doctorf

FWIW, I would not have bought the Eversolo had I known I was buying a unit in development.
It is still not the finished article and some issues like tracks ending early and the unit needing rebooting because of WiFi/connection issues, never before a problem with squeezebox or Bluesound node, are extremely annoying.

56suited

Am I correct that this, and a turntable (or a phono stage), would be two separate inputs into a power amplifier?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Phono stage left/right into A-8 then left/right into power amplifier.
Keith

Xibal

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought an AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC to drive my Dynaudio Emit 30 II.

Now, I’m wondering what could be the better choice between all in one streamer dac solution or separate DAC + separate streamer.

What do you think about the following solutions :
1. Eversolo DMP-A6
2. Smsl DO300EX + Wiim pro

It seems that the Smsl DO300EX has a very good component and is a very good DAC value regarding its price, and the same for the Wiim pro as streamer.

But in terms of musicality and overall experience, may the Eversolo be a better proposal than the solution above ?

I’m a bit lost, and I’m afraid to have a too much clinical sound with the smsl as DAC. I’m looking for a warm and lively sound to enhance the neutrality of the emit 30 and the audiophonics amp.

What would be your choice ?

If you have any other proposal or combination fitting my expectations, please feel free to share !!

Thank you !!
Anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the purpouse of measuring gear, and leaning towars neutrality, is that it's the best starting point to tune it to your tastes using Parametric Equalizing and room correction, so you should get the most well enginered, reliable and neutral equipment your budget allows, and then fine tune it to your likings. For my personal tastes i noticed that a good damping factor of the amp is crucial to get the sound i like.
As a streamer Wiim is very active on the scene, upgrading continously and adding software features, i'd wait for the Ultra to see if the internal dac is competent enough for audible transparency, so you could end up with a single device...

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FWIW, I would not have bought the Eversolo had I known I was buying a unit in development.
It is still not the finished article and some issues like tracks ending early and the unit needing rebooting because of WiFi/connection issues, never before a problem with squeezebox or Bluesound node, are extremely annoying.

I have had none of those issues with my DMP-A6.

rafacq

Top Bottom