• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer and balanced DAC. It was sent to me by the company. I don't have the price but see it on sale for US $850.
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced stereo review.jpg

The DMP-A6 design is absolutely gorgeous. A large, high contrast LCD allows it to show realistic visualizations like the above VU meter. Navigation is easy to use with extensive configuration options. The OS seems to be Android but custom audio pipeline is provided to provide bit-exact playback.

Support for usual streaming services is provided (pulll method) in addition to support for Roon (pull method).

There is an internal SSD which can be up to 2 Terabytes, allowing large music libraries to be stored locally.

Volume control is very responsive and displays a large circle in the middle while changing volume. I wish that could be configured to stay on screen as otherwise it is hard to see the current volume control (and in visualizations like above it is not displayed at all).

Back panel shows more differentiation:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced stereo Wifi Wireless BlueTooth review.jpg

Note inclusion of HDMI output including support for proper clocking. Company's expertise in video products comes to play here. I do wish that was for input though as opposed to output.

Note also that you get Coax and Toslink output in addition to input.

There is no IR remote but an app is available. I personally like to see an IR remote as it is faster to use than pulling up an app.

Eversolo DMP-A6 Measurements
Output goes up to 6+ volts so I dialed that down to 4 volts for the measurements (-2 dB). Let's start with our dashboard using USB-C input and XLR out:

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC Measurement.png

While not state of the art as DACs go, it still provides audible transparency and lands in our excellent category:
Best streamer audio review 2023.png

Best streamer audio review zoom 2023.png

Switching to RCA costs a bit:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming RCA DAC Measurement.png

Using streaming with XLR does not:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced Measurement.png

Dynamic range lands in the same department:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC dynamic range Measurement.png

Jitter is perfect with USB and almost so when streaming (a couple of ticks around our 12 kHz tone):
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC Jitter Measurement.png

Linearity is as it should be:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC Linearity Measurement.png

I wish noise performance was a bit better but distortion is excellent:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC IMD Measurement.png

You can see the same in multitone:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced Multitone Distortion Measurement.png

Filter attenuation is not as good as I like to see:

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC Filter Measurement.png

Here is our frequency response:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC frequency response Measurement.png

Wideband THD+N is not very good because of the filter issue:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced DAC THD vs frequency Measurement.png

We can see the reason in wideband FFT of a 10 kHz tone:
Eversolo DMP-A6 Streaming Balanced FFT Measurement.png

We see textbook spikes as noted. Fortunately they are way in ultrasonic range so not an audible worry. Actual distortion (which is also ultrasonic) is good bit lower at -105 dB.

Conclusions
The DMP-A6 takes a small step down in performance relative to state of the art but then gives you a ton of functionality from streaming to gorgeous display. Performance is still provably transparent so I am not worries (would be nice to have a streamer with no compromise though). Build quality seems excellent and would be fitting in products costing thousands of dollars.

The value proposition is great if the price is as indicated. I do wish for a standard IR remote for when I don't need its fancy features.

I am happy to add the Eversolo DMP-A6 to my recommended list.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Are you sure that's an HDMI input? From the labelling it looks like an I2S output.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for this review, Amir!!! Seems to be great value compared to my Volumio Primo Hifi. Since a remote is not provided I wonder, how responsive and reliable the OS and the App are.... This would be the reason for me to buy one (despite this really gorgeous display of course).

Any experience anyone?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm !

Excellent performer, and quite a competitive newcomer considering the features it offers.

A large, high contrast LCD allows it to show realistic visualizations like the above VU meter
They claim it (edit: Audiophonics did, they just corrected the spec for "LCD") to be OLED . I know this would be somewhat polarising choice for many, but I don't consider it to be an issue in realistic use cases.

Any experience anyone?
It is a just released product, not even yet in stock at some Eversolo distributors. ;)

Last edited:

Milanraf

Curious that Eversolo does not put the DMP-A6 in HiFi Audio category...
1682579088209.png

Probably because it "takes a small step down in performance relative to state of the art"?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thanks @amirm !

Excellent performer, and quite a competitive newcomer considering the features it offers.

They claim it to be OLED. I know this is somewhat polarising choice for many, but I don't consider this to be an issue in realistic use cases.

It is a just released product, not even yet in stock at some Eversolo distributors. ;)
They advertise it as LCD but who knows.

LCD.PNG

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They advertise it as LCD but who knows
OK, I guess the manufacturer itself knows better ! ;)
Specs by @Audiophonics :

Edit: corrected since.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thank you A, superb review as always, pity the streamer doesn’t quite match the performance of their Z-8 dac but as you say it won’t be audible.
Our first units should arrive next week.
Keith

Gio

Forum Donor
Streamer + DAC = Future

Top Bottom