• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer with USB output for playback of local DSD files

SonOfSine

Hi all. I’ve been searching around for a digital music player for home use, and can’t seem to find one that quite matches my use case.

Basically, I want a simple device that will play locally stored files and bitstream the output to an external DAC. I don’t care about performance of any onboard DAC or amplification, because I won’t be using it. This would be strictly for offline use. Must support output of DSD256 via USB. Ideally would have internal storage, but external storage (directly attached, not via network) would be acceptable.

I’m very happy with my current setup, which is as follows. iPhone running Onkyo HF Player, USB out (through apple camera connection dongle), to my integrated amp which has its own DAC (Technics SU-G700). It’s extremely simple, dead silent with no moving parts, and no headaches with network configuration or routers spewing electromagnetic interference (I have yet to encounter a router that I can’t hear an audible high-pitched whine from). The only reason I’m considering a more dedicated hardware setup is that I’m starting to run up against storage limitations with my library of DSD files on my 256GB phone.

All of the devices I am finding seem to be more oriented to network streaming, or else designed primarily with portable use in mind. I’ve considered an Eversolo DMP-A6, but it seems like a lot of what I’d be paying for is functionality I wouldn’t be using. The internal expandable storage is highly appealing, though. I’d be stuck using the touchscreen interface on the Eversolo (since I have no home network to connect through and from what I understand, it doesn’t support a direct connection to phone to control via the remote app). Can anyone comment on the experience of the Eversolo using touchscreen only?

From what I’ve seen in my research so far, I’m leaning towards just getting an iPad with 1-2TB of storage, and running it the same as my current system. My hesitation is that I’d be paying for a ton of processing power I don’t need (an old phone handles playing high-bitrate DSD files just fine), and I’ve had bad experiences with software updates breaking compatibility with old i-devices, meaning that in 5-10 years I may not even be able to connect to the iPad to manage my music library.

I figured that maybe such a device exists, and I’m just looking in the wrong place, or am missing some key piece of terminology - If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!

I’m new to the forums here, but like what I see. Keep up the good work in terms of hardware reviews based on actual measurements, rather than imaginary subjective differences!

staticV3

Master Contributor
The HiBy M300 DAP might be what you're looking for.

It supports bit-perfect audio output via USB-C (including DSD).

It has expandable storage via microSD, which is dirt-cheap nowadays (500GB for $35).

You can download the HiBy Music App on your iPhone or iPad, connect to the M300 via WiFi or Bluetooth, then remote control the playback on the M300.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is whether you can charge the M300 while outputting audio via USB.

If the M300 supports USB Power Delivery, then you could use an adapter like this: https://aliexpress.com/i/1005001734621395.html

Last edited:

StigErik

Forum Donor
I don't get it. Why not use a player that can convert DSD to PCM instead? A lot more practical.

OldTimer

The HiBy M300 DAP might be what you're looking for.

It supports bit-perfect audio output via USB-C (including DSD).

It has expandable storage via microSD, which is dirt-cheap nowadays (500GB for $35).

You can download the HiBy Music App on your iPhone or iPad, connect to the M300 via WiFi or Bluetooth, then remote control the playback on the M300.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is whether you can charge the M300 while outputting audio via USB.

If the M300 supports USB Power Delivery, then you could use an adapter like this: https://aliexpress.com/i/1005001734621395.html
Voice recording is quite useful for journalists

Top Bottom