• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 or WIIM Pro + separate smsl DO300EX DAC

DreiZz

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought an AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC to drive my Dynaudio Emit 30 II.

Now, I’m wondering what could be the better choice between all in one streamer dac solution or separate DAC + separate streamer.

What do you think about the following solutions :
1. Eversolo DMP-A6
2. Smsl DO300EX + Wiim pro

It seems that the Smsl DO300EX has a very good component and is a very good DAC value regarding its price, and the same for the Wiim pro as streamer.

But in terms of musicality and overall experience, may the Eversolo be a better proposal than the solution above ?

I’m a bit lost, and I’m afraid to have a too much clinical sound with the smsl as DAC. I’m looking for a warm and lively sound to enhance the neutrality of the emit 30 and the audiophonics amp.

What would be your choice ?

If you have any other proposal or combination fitting my expectations, please feel free to share !!

Thank you !!

Cosaab

Forum Donor
Realistically speaking, both are well beyond the threshold of human hearing. Wiim has a great track record of updates and new features, which has yet to be proven for the Eversolo (because it is quite new; they have implemented a few updates since its release, so there is hope).

Fit and finish or WAF will likely be higher with the Eversolo. I personally believe it comes down to whether you are seeking the ability to upgrade the DAC or streamer or if you are seeking a "one and done" solution. You won't hear a difference in sound quality, so don't worry about missing out audio quality speaking!

OP
D

DreiZz

I assume that it can be a good configuration to have a separate DAC and streamer to upgrade step by step after if I need it.

So the wiim pro + external dac would be my choice.

Regarding the DAC market, is there difference in musicality between more mainstream brands (Audiolab, Cambridge audio…) and less known brands (smsl, topping…)
I’m really looking for musical and lively sound, and I’m afraid, even if the measured value are really great, that all the smsl topping etc DAC are too clinical, analytical…

What are you thought about that ?

RosalieTheDog

I'm afraid in this forum most members would reply that musicality and liveliness are too vague concepts, that DACs if competently designed mostly sound the same.

It is a good idea to think more in terms of functionality. You have a streamer in the form of the Wiim, a power amp and speakers. What functionality do you need in between? Some manner of DAC, some volume control and remote, possibly a headphone out, will you be using other sources, do you want some room correction or extra PEQ, do you want additional outputs, ... These questions seem more important than the question of clinical/musical ...

DTTOM37

Hi,
owner of a WIIM Pro (with SMSL D-6 or FIIO K7 here). I was fancying the Eversolo too, thus I have some ideas about the device.

In a nutshell, its a decision between independent upgradability and an All-In-One device that allows you local (NVME) playback with a balanced output design as an extra.
... I did not test it, but it seems that you could have your offline library from Qobuz stored in your device ... which can be handy at times ...

From the engineering point of view I would think the Eversolo is SOTA for the majoprity of people who know about this device.
From a hobbyist point of view I would buy it only if I would like to start other hobbies in the near future and keep testing/curiousity in the audiophile hobby at bay.

Wrt to the WII Pro, if your economic situation allows it, I'd suggest you'll go with the Pro Plus because that device has advancements in engineering (weight, analog output stage, ADC/DAC) over the Pro and it would allow you to find out if you can hear the difference between the AKM DAC (inside WIIM) and the SMSL DAC. En plus, you would be not dependend on other devices (that can fail).

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I assume that it can be a good configuration to have a separate DAC and streamer to upgrade step by step after if I need it.

Regarding the DAC market, is there difference in musicality between more mainstream brands (Audiolab, Cambridge audio…) and less known brands (smsl, topping…)
I’m really looking for musical and lively sound, and I’m afraid, even if the measured value are really great, that all the smsl topping etc DAC are too clinical, analytical…

‘musicality/musical/ and lively’ mean nothing, I would read and digest Amir’s dac measurements/reviews.
Keith

maty

Major Contributor
Hello Everyone,

WiiM Pro (without +) and SMSL DO400 - €169 + €499 (Amazon - you can try it easily)

Why? Old ESS 9068*, the new ESS 9039* (D0400) and CS43198 you have the option to disable PCM filter. It is not possible with AKM.

=> 10:45 Sound Sample (without any PCM filter)

Haskil

Forum Donor
What is the point of disabling the PCM filter? None I fear.

What is the point of NOS? None I fear yet.

Haskil

Forum Donor
It is OPTIONAL. If you do not like.. And D0400 is better and modern than D0300. And €499 vs €479 (Audiophonics) or €529 (Amazon).
But I watched the video you gave us the link to: it's a despairing discourse...
And even if it's optional, it has no audible effect on the sound and obviously has no effect on the dynamics (you see I listened carefully)...

And in the end, in the middle of the guy's boulgui boulga which is part of the idiophilic delirium (here visible with the feet like "bite my finger" that he put under the DAC), he at least has the glimmer of saying "that it's a matter of personal taste"... Even if the guy wouldn't recognize one of the settings blindly...

And ASR's measurements are much more meaningful than the words of a guy on YouTube and hearing musical excerpts played from this platform

PS. I have played with adjustable output filters for a long time when they were available: none has ever had the slightest audible effect... And yet I have educated and trained ears for attentive listening... It's my job to do that.

maty

Major Contributor
PS. I have played with adjustable output filters for a long time when they were available: none has ever had the slightest audible effect... And yet I have educated and trained ears for attentive listening... It's my job to do that.

If you are not able to appreciate differences with the music you listen to, do not spend a lot of money on the equipment. Others do appreciate it and without having to spend a fortune, simply optimizing each component of the audio chain, software included. The weakest link is the limiting one. Usually a terrible power supply (the grid is noisier every day despite the strict European regulations) is the BIG problem but it is other story.

bargainguy

I've spent a few months with my A6. I would not characterize the sound as "warm and lively." If I had to assign a modifier, it would be "neutral."

When it comes to system matching, one must account for what one already has. If your current system leans toward "clinical," you're not going to mellow that with a DAC. Doesn't work that way. Gotta look upstream, not downstream.

Haskil

Forum Donor
If you are not able to appreciate differences with the music you listen to, do not spend a lot of money on the equipment. Others do appreciate it and without having to spend a fortune, simply optimizing each component of the audio chain, software included. The weakest link is the limiting one. Usually a terrible power supply (the grid is noisier every day despite the strict European regulations) is the BIG problem but it is other story.
Rest assured, I can hear the differences perfectly well when they are in the audible domain... and the excellence of my high fidelity system, whose bass is corrected up to 300 Hz, makes it easy, just like my headphones. ...

And I have serious experience in the field of attentive listening since it is my job.

PS. If replacing one power supply with another changes the sound of this device, it is because the latter should not be purchased, given that it is poorly designed and therefore of poor intrinsic quality.

maty

Major Contributor
PS. If replacing one power supply with another changes the sound of this device, it is because the latter should not be purchased, given that it is poorly designed and therefore of poor intrinsic quality.

Alpha Labs - Your amp might be struggling! Influence of noise on an amplifier

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In the high-end audio context, “musical” sometimes means following a more aggressive high-frequency roll-off, or containing a lot of 2nd harmonic distortion. DACs generally don’t introduce these effects, nor would you want them to. It can be done with EQ / plug-ins like @pkane ‘s for very little money and season to taste. Or you can introduce a fixed amount or EQ alteration and/or harmonic distortion by investing tens of thousands of dollars in some kind of audio exotica, and/or perhaps a cheap Chinese tube preamp.

Other than that, ”musical” doesn’t mean anything legible to anyone here.

rafacq

Hello Everyone,

Now, I’m wondering what could be the better choice between all in one streamer dac solution or separate DAC + separate streamer.

1. Eversolo DMP-A6

It seems that the Smsl DO300EX has a very good component and is a very good DAC value regarding its price, and the same for the Wiim pro as streamer.

But in terms of musicality and overall experience, may the Eversolo be a better proposal than the solution above ?

I’m a bit lost, and I’m afraid to have a too much clinical sound with the smsl as DAC. I’m looking for a warm and lively sound to enhance the neutrality of the emit 30 and the audiophonics amp.

If you have any other proposal or combination fitting my expectations, please feel free to share !!

Thank you !!
As an Apple Music fan, the Eversolo was my choice. But the beautiful screen on the Eversolo DMP-A6 is the icing on the cake. My Eversolo is connected to a Sony STR-AZ5000ES and Klipsch RP-8000F. I’m very pleased with this combination and am really enjoying it.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hello Everyone,

1. Eversolo DMP-A6

Thank you !!
Hi.
You have the same amplifier as I have.
I would go for WiiM pro ( I have one ) and a dac of choice. The reason is that WiiM has a transparent sounding PEQ in the digital domain which in practice gonna make your speakers sound much better.

rafacq

Hello Everyone,

1. Eversolo DMP-A6

Thank you !!
I have the Eversolo DMP-A6 and really love it. At the end only your ears need to like what you’re hearing. Any chance you can order one from Amazon? They have a good return policy if you feel it meets your expectations.

ExQ

I have the Eversolo DMP-A6 and really love it. At the end only your ears need to like what you’re hearing. Any chance you can order one from Amazon? They have a good return policy if you feel it meets your expectations.
WiiM Pro (I guess all other models too) has an important feature for Amazon Music users. One can use Amazon native app on Android to control WiiM and stream bit-perfect to your DAC via COAX. For me, it is much preferred to using the streamer's own app. As far as I understand, not all streamers can do that.

Top Bottom