• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 341 66.1%

• Total voters

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry have not trawled through the previous 160 pages of this thread so may have been answered. Can I ask what happens when apps such as Tidal and Qobuz stop supporting Android 11? (This will happen as older versions of Android no longer get security updates).
As with all streamers using Linux, we use API integration. Android will only give you more possibilities

CJW

Similar, i listen to mine hours on end w/o drops via streaming services (qobuz, apple music) and on device ssd.
Everything is working for me now (Airplay and Qubu ) after I updated to the latest iOS Eversolo app on all my devices. There was a 3/4 week period before the updates I was getting constant dropouts.

such

After the latest beta update my CD drives were not recognized - the disc was constantly loading. After rebooting the unit it works, but if I switch source and go back to CD I have to reboot.

Also, playing CDs that have no gaps between the tracks ie mixes, there is a 2 sec pause between tracks. Is there a setting to enable continuous play?

Joao Correa

Good question. I don't think there's much difference these days in ripping speed via external CD drives.

I've been perfectly happy with a $25 LG external CD drive. Got it last year, hooked it up to my laptop, and ripped ~600 CDs using Exact Audio Copy. No issues.
HI. SACDs also ?

Spyerx

So here is some more feedback on software... So yesterday was at my local hifi dealer. They carry some insane high dollar stuff along with much more modest. (like what I buy from them )

Anyway, they carry these streamers: Aurender, Gold Note, Rose, and DCS (possibly others). The DCS streamer is $12k or $20k, 2 options, one is $8k better than the other :) They are beautifully made. But I wasn't interested in the look, or even the sound (the 20k unit I played with was connected to at least a $250k rig, that rig sounded really amazing). I was there to play with the software and interface. I've already messed around with the gold note (too simplistic and not very good), Rose (buggy, hard to use), and Aurender (pretty good, maybe first in this list, DCS second)

Putting it simply: the Eversolo overall is a much better software experience. The DCS probably excels in the simplicity. It's really really basic. Its probalby 'better' in how you navigate from various sources - for example, the list of your setup sources (streaming services, local storage, or network storage) are presented as buttons at top of screen, so its really easy to switch between and add to a playlist and playback. The Eversolo you go back to main homepage and then select files and add. Maybe Eversolo could consider a 'home' page that is customizable with your top 5 most used sources or something.

But, for a device the price that is, I found the software experience overall pretty limited. And feature wise, it's much more limited than the Eversolo. Maybe the DCS caters to the person who just wants to play and not mess around too much... has money to burn.... likes hifi shelf jewelry...

On the Eversolo, there are some software quirks, some inconsistencies in the UI, some things that take a step or 2 more than they should, but, its really good, and every release is getting more and more polished. And, I love the interactive approach and how fast releases get pushed out.

Very happy with this device, it's literally the least expensive part of my 2 systems, and my favorite to use every day. It sounds fantastic and is really a joy to use.

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Everything is working for me now (Airplay and Qubu ) after I updated to the latest iOS Eversolo app on all my devices. There was a 3/4 week period before the updates I was getting constant dropouts.
The network world is very complex, and usually this situation is caused by local network fluctuations and some instability between the CDN nodes of the service, and some other services are normal,but this is all random and temporary. It just creates the illusion that things will get better after you upgrade the IOS APP.
Glad your problem is solved

Last edited:

jmillar

10 band PEQ is ideal. (Oratory1990, Crinacle and other EQ profiles for headphones) I hope you can maintain it at 10.

RDaneel2

I have questions about the A6 - I will break them up into two posts, this one a mix of factual and a bit of subjective (yes, illegal here, blah blah)... my personal take on the latter is that there just may be some things we don't know how to measure yet, and I will certainly be happy when we are able to reliably quantify, measure, and discuss such things as "warm vs clinical DACs". ;)

* first, the display panel itself - is it IPS or TFT? Neither one is particularly great on actual black backgrounds, but IPS is considered better for color rendering and off-axis viewing... I noticed that someone really savaged this display panel in their comments (largely about a really bright "gray" background) on it, and I trust that their experience was due to a bad unit or ?

* second (here comes the request for judgments) - I have an AVM 90 pre/pro feeding Nord Hypex-based amps driving Magneplanar speakers, currently playing music off my NAS through a WiiM Pro... I am expecting that I will be more pleased with the sound quality if I continue to use a digital (coax) connection into my pre/pro's DAC (ignoring the A6's DAC) - I am assuming the answer is a) not too controversial and b) "yes, stick with your AVM 90 DAC"(?)

* third - the toughest question, and likely not easy to answer, but I am looking for whatever anyone has to say about what I can expect: should I have any hope that the Eversolo DMP-A6 will "sound better" on playing FLAC files from my NAS than the WiiM Pro I use currently, or is the party line that they will be indistinguishable in proper blind testing and I am just getting a [hopefully] cool display out of the deal?

I have additional and presumably easier to answer questions on more "operational" and "specs" issues coming later.

Thanks!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just been comparing the Wiim Pro ( plus in this case) to my Eversolo units as ‘streamers’ only into active speakers and I can’t hear my difference, I am posting the results in my ‘blog’ later.
Keith

Nutul

I have questions about the A6 - I will break them up into two posts, this one a mix of factual and a bit of subjective (yes, illegal here, blah blah)... my personal take on the latter is that there just may be some things we don't know how to measure yet, and I will certainly be happy when we are able to reliably quantify, measure, and discuss such things as "warm vs clinical DACs". ;)

* first, the display panel itself - is it IPS or TFT? Neither one is particularly great on actual black backgrounds, but IPS is considered better for color rendering and off-axis viewing... I noticed that someone really savaged this display panel in their comments (largely about a really bright "gray" background) on it, and I trust that their experience was due to a bad unit or ?

* second (here comes the request for judgments) - I have an AVM 90 pre/pro feeding Nord Hypex-based amps driving Magneplanar speakers, currently playing music off my NAS through a WiiM Pro... I am expecting that I will be more pleased with the sound quality if I continue to use a digital (coax) connection into my pre/pro's DAC (ignoring the A6's DAC) - I am assuming the answer is a) not too controversial and b) "yes, stick with your AVM 90 DAC"(?)

* third - the toughest question, and likely not easy to answer, but I am looking for whatever anyone has to say about what I can expect: should I have any hope that the Eversolo DMP-A6 will "sound better" on playing FLAC files from my NAS than the WiiM Pro I use currently, or is the party line that they will be indistinguishable in proper blind testing and I am just getting a [hopefully] cool display out of the deal?

I have additional and presumably easier to answer questions on more "operational" and "specs" issues coming later.

Thanks!
quick and dirty, I understand:
1. you won't use the A6's DAC anyway
2. the difference streamer-wise - if any... - won't be audible IMHO
hence it looks indeed like you are purchasing just a color display... I'd say, stick with your setup. Unless the eyecandy wish is a factor.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Playing the A6 in 2 different scenarios (as streamer&DAC via XLR output to amp vs. streamer USB output to RME ADI to amp) gave no difference (to my well educated though aging ears).

octavius

The same scenario happened to me. I have adi 2 dac fs and I have compared eversolo with adi dac and I didn't hear any difference.

Nutul

Playing the A6 in 2 different scenarios (as streamer&DAC via XLR output to amp vs. streamer USB output to RME ADI to amp) gave no difference (to my well educated though aging ears).
This is kind of expected behavior once the DAC gets to a certain level of transparency and cleanness. Of course your aging ears play a role too... ;-)

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is kind of expected behavior once the DAC gets to a certain level of transparency and cleanness. Of course your aging ears play a role too... ;-)
Aging ears are like aging Bordeaux: getting better every year ;)

Gremlins

Aging ears are like aging Bordeaux: getting better every year ;)
Haha, this is legend ,i drink wine regularly and purchase bordeaux every week. Being in France helps ... within the same "chateaux", its often than a 4 years old is nicer in mouth than a 10 yo one .. all depends on the production year

And NO, they don't get better after years
It depends of
A, what kind of " cepage "
B, what kind of storage
C, what kind a process making
D , how old is the wine yard
E , what location ( east of hill, west of hill, soil ....)

Just pick one that taste good, what ever age , minimum 2 yo age though ...

Mariano Rena

Good comparison with RMI ADI 2, I really wanted to buy an RME ADI 2 for DAC and parametric EQ, but now it also has Eversolo parametric EQ and the DAC sounds the same, I'm calm....
Was the RME with AKM or SABRE?

Top Bottom