• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 345 66.1%

• Total voters

Jhify

This! If they already made the effort to customize the Android environment, there should be a dedicated DSP solution as well.
Ok maybe I'm missing out something and gonna ask a stupid question but it seems like everyone is having this issue and I don't get why. Why not using a headless computer as a streamer which has endless DSP possibilities and then hoking up any dac you want to it ? I'm doing that it works seamlessly.

Moderate Dionysianism

Ok maybe I'm missing out something and gonna ask a stupid question but it seems like everyone is having this issue and I don't get why. Why not using a headless computer as a streamer which has endless DSP possibilities and then hoking up any dac you want to it ? I'm doing that it works seamlessly.
Well, I'm doing that too. The reason behind this issue ppl have is that basically this unit already is a computer and yet the manufacturer stopped this short of making it a complete one-box solution with SOTA performance at <$1K, which would make it a real game changer, a unique offering in this price segment.

Moderate Dionysianism

Why not using a headless computer as a streamer which has endless DSP possibilities and then hoking up any dac you want to it ?
Another reason: it could offer a single DSP engine independent of the playback source. With a PC you need FB2K or similar for local files via ASIO/WASAPI, Roon for applying DSP to Tidal, and EQAPO for everything that goes via the Windows mixer (YT, Spoti, etc.)

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Firmware is Android and any *.APK that fits can be installed if desired.

Nutul

Firmware is Android and any *.APK that fits can be installed if desired.
True, but only as far as such app does not rely on Google Play, as it is not installed by the stripped Android of the A6; and if such app is available for download in the relevant "app stores".

Jhify

Well, I'm doing that too. The reason behind this issue ppl have is that basically this unit already is a computer and yet the manufacturer stopped this short of making it a complete one-box solution with SOTA performance at <$1K, which would make it a real game changer, a unique offering in this price segment.
Ho okay my bad I thought people were complaning a solution doesn't exist. Yeah I think it's overpriced for what it offers but it looks cool though.

Jhify

Another reason: it could offer a single DSP engine independent of the playback source. With a PC you need FB2K or similar for local files via ASIO/WASAPI, Roon for applying DSP to Tidal, and EQAPO for everything that goes via the Windows mixer (YT, Spoti, etc.)
Hm i didn't know it was that complicated on pc. On a mac you can apply any VST plugin to your core audio with basic apps. Makes more sense now thanks.

eXlero

Now that we can see in the (latest beta) Tidal app if the stream contains an MQA or FLAC file (no more 'MAX'), I checked if the same info is properly shown on the EverSolo, and it seems that there they still show MQA, even if for the same song/album the Tidal app shows FLAC.
Will we need an update in the EverSolo to fix/align this info? Or is there a setting I have to change? (I am on version 1.1.80)

GiBo61

I currently have a Wiim Mini and I'm considering to upgrade either to a Wiim Pro Plus or to the Eversolo DMP-A6. Has anyone on this forum made the Wiim > Eversolo transition? If so, what were your impressions? I have two amplifiers, one full digital (Sabaj A30a) which I would connect directly to the new streamer with coaxial or optical cable, the other is a class A/B (Rotel RSX-1067) which would be connected via analogue. I imagine there will be no improvement in audio quality compared to my current setup (Wiim Mini connected via S/PDIF to Sabaj), correct? There are many reviews of the Eversolo DMP-A6 that celebrate its musical qualities but since I still get a bit-perfect signal from the Wiim Mini, the difference between the two should be nil in terms of the quality of the signal sent to the next device of the audio chain. I am attracted by some features of the Eversolo (nice screen although probably not useful or necessary, possibility of installing an internal SSD, side-loading of music apps). I would also like some information: is it possible to listen to internet radios with Eversolo that are not accessible from Tune-In? For example internet radios that broadcast in FLAC quality. For completeness of information I also have a DAC which has performances measured by Amir which are similar (SINAD has about 3 db less) to that of the Eversolo internal DAC.

Slide1.jpeg
?

Last edited:

c3pored

I have both WiiM Pro and Eversolo DMP-A6.
I wanted the Eversolo as a stand-alone music server/streamer because of the display. My primary reason for holding on to the WiiM Pro is its ADC that I use to stream my vinyl to other linkplay devices.
The WiiM Pro feeds an RME-ADI2-fs.

I’m really pleased with the performance of both, the Eversolo is definitely a unit that you can displayed prominently in your HIFI system, without embarrassment.I’m looking forward to SMB update on the WiiM so it can draw from the Eversolo storage. I currently use a vortexbox as my music server and hoping for future updates to make Linkplay, Eversolo and Squeezebox more interlinked.

eXlero

Have a question related to the Tidal Connect capability: why is it that my Tidal app from my phone or laptop detects the EverSolo as an available device ONLY if the latter one is connected to the network via WiFi, and not if it is connected to the same network via wired/LAN connection? Is this a Tidal Connect thing, or an EverSolo one?

eXlero

Have a question related to the Tidal Connect capability: why is it that my Tidal app from my phone or laptop detects the EverSolo as an available device ONLY if the latter one is connected to the network via WiFi, and not if it is connected to the same network via wired/LAN connection? Is this a Tidal Connect thing, or an EverSolo one?
Seems to have just solved this issue: my Google Nest WiFi-powered network needed to be changed in the Google Home app -> Network Settings -> Network Mode from NAT (standard) mode to Bridge mode. Now the Tidal app sees the EverSolo as an available device for Tidal Connect playback even when connected wired/LAN to the network. yay! :)

Note related to the FLAC/MQA info shown when playing 'MAX' content: if the song is available in FLAC and the playback device is the phone/laptop, then FLAC is shown in the app. if I choose as a playback device the EverSolo (via Tidal Connect) the same song continues to play and MQA is shown in both places, Tidal app on the phone + EverSolo.

lemongrass

Anyone know where I can buy the silver version? ;)

Are there any VPN client apps that can be loaded on it?
Thanks.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I expect there will be a silver version at some point, the standard black ones are pretty smart.
Keith

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Well with roon you wouldn't need foobar for local files and you wouldn't need the Eversolo at all because you could just use a iPad or your TV as display. Hook that up into a AVR with Dirac or run Dirac on a nuc/Mac mini .

Maybe at a backup software player in case roon has no internet connection.

Moderate Dionysianism

Well with roon you wouldn't need foobar for local files and you wouldn't need the Eversolo at all because you could just use a iPad or your TV as display. Hook that up into a AVR with Dirac or run Dirac on a nuc/Mac mini .

Maybe at a backup software player in case roon has no internet connection.

Oh I wish it was that easy:)

I have hundreds of albums ripped to .ape+.cue and .wv formats - Roon can't seem to be bothered with supporting them, despite requests from users.

Foobar is also waaay more flexible in terms of DSP - from plugins and VST integration to such minor stuff like mix level adjustment for the convolution filters (no way to adjust that in Roon - a workaround appeared only recently, with the autoeq.app site - but it's still more cumbersome as you generate a new file each time you tweak the filter).

And yes, I've been having connectivity issues in Roon too:)

I really only keep Roon to apply DSP to Tidal, it's terrible VFM in my use case (I don't need a 24/7/365 music server, I don't need multiroom etc.). So if they introduced a DMP-A6 with a robust DSP (PEQ and adjustable convolver as a minimum) then I'd save myself some serious headache and $$$ on Roon subscription:)

I know it's a specific scenario, but I was trying to give the user above some insight on why no DSP can be frustrating to some.

Nutul

Oh I wish it was that easy:)

I have hundreds of albums ripped to .ape+.cue and .wv formats - Roon can't seem to be bothered with supporting them, despite requests from users.

Foobar is also waaay more flexible in terms of DSP - from plugins and VST integration to such minor stuff like mix level adjustment for the convolution filters (no way to adjust that in Roon - a workaround appeared only recently, with the autoeq.app site - but it's still more cumbersome as you generate a new file each time you tweak the filter).

And yes, I've been having connectivity issues in Roon too:)

I really only keep Roon to apply DSP to Tidal, it's terrible VFM in my use case (I don't need a 24/7/365 music server, I don't need multiroom etc.). So if they introduced a DMP-A6 with a robust DSP (PEQ and adjustable convolver as a minimum) then I'd save myself some serious headache and $$$ on Roon subscription:)

I know it's a specific scenario, but I was trying to give the user above some insight on why no DSP can be frustrating to some.

Wow... hearing that Roon doesn't support APE or WV makes my ears bleed...
Anyway, with a free tool like ffmpeg, from the command line you can convert those "offending" files to flac:

ffmpeg -i <filename.ape> <filename.flac>
ffmpeg -i <filename.wv> <filename.flac>

Then, in the relevant .cue file, just replace the extension in the FILE entrie(s), from .ape / .wv to .flac; the cue only contains information about minutes, seconds and frames, and is kind of file-agnostic, so you'll be ok.

Top Bottom