• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 4.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 342 66.2%

• Total voters

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Because to me, nothing beats the ergonomics of a PC. I work on a PC every day so it's a logical choice for me. I own a Sonos AMP which I will be replacing in the near future but Sonos has mature desktop apps and that is a huge plus for me. Besides, I don't really want to invest in yet another hardware device (a tablet) just to stream music, I don't really have any other use case for such.

Just use roon. Best pc music software out there

tapio

I use an iPad in addition to my phone. Maybe just pick up a cheap Android tablet Amazon has Fire 10" tablets for $150) and run the Eversolo app on it? Looks cool and you can Chromecast to your TV. I use Roon and its cast feature to my TV but on my iPad I toggle between the Marantz control app, Roon and the Eversolo app (often in Cast mode itself). Not to mention the very nice touch screen on the A6 itself...
I am experiencing occasional disconnects of the Eversolo app from the A6 on my iPhone 12. I don't have a current iPad or Android tablet. I am wondering if the app would be more stable on an iPad than iPhone. I don't feel like buying an Android tablet even cheap one to avoid the disconnection problem which at times is very annoying. But I would rather get a new iPad if that would help.

CJW

When is Airplay functionality going to come back? One of the reasons I ordered the A6 is because it has Airplay. It just makes it easier for anyone in the home that does not want to to mess around with another app.

phozy888

I am experiencing occasional disconnects of the Eversolo app from the A6 on my iPhone 12. I don't have a current iPad or Android tablet. I am wondering if the app would be more stable on an iPad than iPhone. I don't feel like buying an Android tablet even cheap one to avoid the disconnection problem which at times is very annoying. But I would rather get a new iPad if that would help.
better they fix the app rather then buy a new device I say :)

spizz

@mirror88 I have messaged you an over week ago with no response. Do you know what the timeline is for the next major firmware release for bugs?

There are numerous threads over on the Eversolo forum with no input from Eversolo staff for weeks. It would be good if the next firmware release addressed a lot of these issues.

Or are the programmers time be utilised for other products? Maybe with the popularity of the A6 Zidoo might invest in adding more software developers.

tapio

Partially answering my own post. I discovered that my older iPad still is able to update to the latest software. Loaded the Eversole app and it was good for an hour after it suddenly disconnected. Restarting the Eversolo connected it back again. Not good.

Sound_freq

I've been experiencing disconnects too, I've gotten to where I don't use the Eversolo app unless I have to.

Sound_freq

When is Airplay functionality going to come back? One of the reasons I ordered the A6 is because it has Airplay. It just makes it easier for anyone in the home that does not want to to mess around with another app.
When did it leave ? It's there, it just doesn't work great or maintain an uninterrupted connection. The only thing I'm aware that left were the claims of it having Airplay 2 capabilities (multi-room) which supposedly can be fixed in a future firmware update according to Eversolo.

Werther44210

Hi everyone, I find the sound fantastic in multichannel from the Eversolo in HDMI on my Denon 8500 HA, I have a 13.1, I have never heard anything similar, I listened to 192 Khz from Roon and Qobuz. For that alone, the DMP is worth buying, this player is very relevant when you have a dual HC and Hi-Fi installation. I listened to DSD 64 5.1, I also enjoyed it.

Moxalain

(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•.¸ Hello ¸.•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)

I address those who have an A6 to ask if they notice the same thing as me.
In my example the TV, my PC and A6 are working at the same time.
Optical = Television
USB-C = PC
A6 = favorite radio station radioparadise (or Tidal)

If I switch from A6 (radioparadise) to Optical, the sound changes. Perfect
If I switch from USB-C to Optical, the sound changes. Perfect
If I switch from Optical to USB-C, still ok
But
But if I choose the A6 again when coming from USB-C or Coax or Optical, I have nothing. Stream is offline.

And you ?

I have to restart the radio (or Tidal) every time I choice input A6

I don't want any additional step. When all the sources are active, I want to be able to switch from one to the other in a single action : choose its input. Just that.
No need 3 actions :
(1) choose input A6,
(2) go to the streaming menu,
(3) search for radioparadise (or Tidal).

Only the (1) must be enough to listen to the streaming on which we were

(¯`*•.¸(¯`*•.¸ Best regards ¸.•*´¯)¸.•*´¯)

bargainguy

@Moxalain: Same for me.

It appears that when a different input than internal media player is selected (in my case, optical for TV), all streaming options cease immediately.

Right now, I'm listening to TuneIn radio. If I switch inputs to optical for the TV and then switch back to the internal media player, whatever streaming app I'm using needs to be restarted every time.

My system is setup such that the A6 is the only source to an integrated amp, with optical from the TV plugged into the A6.

I was actually thinking of bringing my Topping D30 out of retirement by hooking up the TV's optical out to the D30 via a separate interconnect to my integrated amp. and then switching sources from the integrated amp as opposed to the A6.

Not ideal, but this avoids having to restart internet apps every time I want to switch to TV and back.

Moxalain

Yes, I think like you.
It would be enough if the streaming was never disconnected to solve the bug (and stay with a single device, which I also prefer).
If a new firmware does not solve this bug, I prefer to go back to my previous version Z8 + PC (which I use as a streamer).
Note that I compared the sound between PC+Z8 and A6 alone, for the same piece of music on radioparadise: the sound is better with the A6.
Shorter links, more direct surely.
Can I paste/copy your answer on the eversolo site where I reported the bug?
thank you so much ;)

fatoldgit

To those experiencing disconnects when using wifi, check if you have channel "auto ranging" on in your router.

This is typically the default for a router and means that the router can change the channel it broadcasts on at any time which technically mean a disconnect/reconnect for active devices. Not an issue when web browsing but can cause dropouts when streaming.

So as an experiment, somewhere in your routers wifi setting will be an entry called something like "channel" that might be set to "auto". Set this to say "3" (or whatever) in the drop down list and reboot the A6.

1690056818687.png

Note that auto ranging has a purpose....in high density places (i.e. those where lots of routers are close to each other, say in an apartment complex) the router will try to select the best/least congested channel, which may change over time. This is because there are a limited number of wifi channels available so different households will share the same channel.

You can get a feel for this when you select a wifi to connect to on your device. If you see tens of available wifi connections, you are in a high density location.

Thus if you still get disconnects the reason might be because you have a large number of co-shares on the channel you selected. In a location of high congestion, even auto might not save you on occasions.

Where I am, I see only me (as an available wifi connection) but hard coding my channel fixed a disconnect issue I had with my wifi streaming simply because my router wanted to change channels for the hell of it (verified by checking the connected channel # in the OS of my PC streamer)

Also check your transmit power is at its max and that the wireless mode supports the maximum number of standards (i.e. a, b, g, n etc)

Peter

Last edited:
I am trying to move some folders containing FLAC files and folder.jpg(album covers) to my Eversolo.
The Eversolo can format an NVMe SSD to either NTFS or exFAT. I chose exFAT, but I don't have a reason for that choice. I chose a nice short Volume name of "NVMe", because this may make it easy to distinguish the internal drive from USB drives that I might plug in occasionally.
I suppose after formatting my NVMe drive, Eversolo creates a directory "EverSoloMusic" on the NVMe drive. I haven't confirmed that.
After plugging an USB thumb drive into the EverSolo, I can't figure out how to copy folders from the USB drive to the NVMe drive using the Eversolo interface.
This would be my preferred way to put music on my NVMe drive.
Has someone made any instructions on transferring files from USB to NVMe on the EverSolo?

I gave up on the my preferred way to move files, and went on my PC. Using Windows File Explorer I can see \\192.168.0.206\Share\Storage\Music (192.168.0.206 will be different for you), which is empty except for the system directory ".thumbnails", but I don't know where this alias really is on the EverSolo.
I guess I could just pull the NVMe from the EverSolo and temporarily put it on my PC, then copy files to it. I don't know if this would be a bad idea.
Has someone made any instructions on the best way to put files on the EverSolo?

Last edited:

bargainguy

@engineeringDynamo:

P. 17 of the manual in the link above shows the File Manager.

From the main screen, tap Files. Your USB drive should appear in the left column, as well as the SSD.

Select the USB file(s) you want to copy (can select multiple using the circle at far right/top) and tap the SSD button (left of Cancel at top right).

Your files should now download from USB > SSD. You'll get a status bar while it uploads.

@engineeringDynamo:

P. 17 of the manual in the link above shows the File Manager.

From the main screen, tap Files. Your USB drive should appear in the left column, as well as the SSD.

Select the USB file(s) you want to copy (can select multiple using the circle at far right/top) and tap the SSD button (left of Cancel at top right).

Your files should now download from USB > SSD. You'll get a status bar while it uploads.
Thanks so much.
My NVMe drive shows up on the left column, but my USB drive does not.
I put in a different usb drive... and it shows up!
I copied some folders from the USB to both:
usb://NVMe/Music
usb://NVMe/EverSoloMusic
I think I'll use usb://NVMe/Music as my main library on my EverSolo. The other dir name seems long. I think you need to keep the "EverSoloMusic" directory, because the unit chooses it as the "transfer" directory. Maybe the "EverSoloMusic" directory is also used for another reason. I'm not messing with it.
Also, "usb://..." is a big surprise to me for these dir names.
I think NVMe drives run on a PCIe bus. Maybe there is some way they can run on a Universal Serial Bus? I won't try to figure out if EverSolo's naming is bad (probably), or if there is a way to run an NVMe drive on USB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom