• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 349 66.5%

• Total voters

multisport4me

Got a few things working now.

1. I confirmed that 24/192 and up to DSD64 works from the A6 HDMI Audio output when sent by Roon. Internal app and HDMI with DSD set to native must be set in the input/output menu of A6.
2. I was able to get Apple Music to play 24/192 as well, albeit, its not easy finding 24/192 songs in Apple Music. What a custer-f of a user experience, Apple. I ended up searching "hi res 24/192" and found a bunch of shared playlists. Some weren't in 24/192 but then I finally hit upon a song that was. So its confirmed - the A6 can pass hi-res audio from Apple Music out the HDMI Audio output!

While the Apple Music app works on the A6 the navigation of it is not great (and that is not Eversolo's fault). @mirror88 is there anyway you guys can build a screenscrape feature into your iPad app that would mirror the touch screen on the iPad? That is about the only work around to me that would make the Apple Music app experience on the A6 useable on an on-going basis. As it is now, I'm far better off just using Roon, Qobuz, Tidal, etc. and when I want Apple Music, I'll just use my AppleTV. Again, nothing Eversolo did wrong here - the audio output driver to bypass the Android audio mess is brilliant.

On another note, the DAC XLR out the A6 into my AV10 is damn good. Just as good as the HDMI input IMO. I cannot tell the difference between the two. This leaves me to conclude that the A6 might just be a very good Roon player with a very good DAC in my system....and that is okay. It's still outstanding. But as I mentioned above, I can group both my Rock HDMI output and A6 XLR output which leaves me the best of all worlds - I can see the Roon cover art, etc. whether I'm using the Rock HDMI or the A6 XLR into my AV10. Very slick. This way, I don't have to worry about un-supported formats - both can do pretty much everything with PCM and the A6 can handle DSD512 via XLR (if you're really into upconverting to DSD512). Just a more seamless experience so far for me doing it that way.
apple192.jpg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can anyone please with a DMP-A6 and Roon post a screen capture of Audio Devices showing the DMP-A6 as Roon Ready device? If it is Roon Ready it should show up on Audio Devices as Roon Ready. If it is NOT yet, then it would show up in Roon Ready devices with a warning and not Enable option. I'm considering this unit for another room in my house but I won't purchase until it's Roon Ready certified. The screen capture should look like this:

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 8.30.15 AM (2).png

multisport4me

Can anyone please with a DMP-A6 and Roon post a screen capture of Audio Devices showing the DMP-A6 as Roon Ready device? If it is Roon Ready it should show up on Audio Devices as Roon Ready. If it is NOT yet, then it would show up in Roon Ready devices with a warning and not Enable option. I'm considering this unit for another room in my house but I won't purchase until it's Roon Ready certified. The screen capture should look like this:

View attachment 287581

Quick screen shot from my iPhone Roon app.
roonready.png

Attachments

• roonready.png
    roonready.png
    429.7 KB · Views: 39

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

multisport4me

@mirror88 is there a way to install Teamviewer or Airdroid ? I'm thinking it would be very cool to be able to control the touch screen using my iPad without standing right next to the A6. It would also make navigating apps like Apple Music, where the integration isn't very good (due to Apple, not Eversolo) easier IMO.

mirror88

Audio Company
@mirror88 is there a way to install Teamviewer or Airdroid ? I'm thinking it would be very cool to be able to control the touch screen using my iPad without standing right next to the A6. It would also make navigating apps like Apple Music, where the integration isn't very good (due to Apple, not Eversolo) easier IMO.
Did you tried the cast function in the Control APP? Everything you want is there.

dakchi

any difference between master and standard version when used as a streamer only?

mirror88

Audio Company
any difference between master and standard version when used as a streamer only?
It's about the slight difference in SINAD, maybe 1-2dB, but I don't think you can hear the difference because the DMP-A6 is good enough. Some people feel that more expensive components will result in better sound quality, so It is a option.

multisport4me

It's about the slight difference in SINAD, maybe 1-2dB, but I don't think you can hear the difference because the DMP-A6 is good enough. Some people feel that more expensive components will result in better sound quality, so It is a option.

Which is why I probably won't even open the box on the regular unit I received. I have the Master installed already and it sounds great. But I don't think I'll hear any differences between the two so its a matter of which one I want to sell. Dunno. Tough problem to have. lol

I will say that I like the aethestics of the regular more than I do the master. The yellow light ring is not my favorite. But also not a reason for me to rip it out of my system.

@mirror88 is there any reason the HDMI Audio output can not pass higher than DSD64 for 2-channel audio from Roon/internal app?

mirror88

Audio Company
Which is why I probably won't even open the box on the regular unit I received. I have the Master installed already and it sounds great. But I don't think I'll hear any differences between the two so its a matter of which one I want to sell. Dunno. Tough problem to have. lol

I will say that I like the aethestics of the regular more than I do the master. The yellow light ring is not my favorite. But also not a reason for me to rip it out of my system.

@mirror88 is there any reason the HDMI Audio output can not pass higher than DSD64 for 2-channel audio from Roon/internal app?
I don't know if this is HDMI standard, but almost all AVRs only accept DSD64 Native and do not support Dop via HDMI port

mirror88

Audio Company

Tried the cast function? you will love it.

multisport4me

I don't know if this is HDMI standard, but almost all AVRs only accept DSD64 Native and do not support Dop via HDMI port

I agree on DoP - few if any AVR/AVP's support it. I'm talking Native. The Marantz AV10 supports DSD128 and many Denon and Marantz models offer that. Can you please check this and add support for DSD128 via the HDMI Audio output?

glc650

I agree on DoP - few if any AVR/AVP's support it. I'm talking Native. The Marantz AV10 supports DSD128 and many Denon and Marantz models offer that. Can you please check this and add support for DSD128 via the HDMI Audio output?
That's probably over network since HDMI spec calls for DSD64.

multisport4me

Hmmm...I'll try that later. I could have sworn my Sony BD player sends higher than DSD64 to the AV10. So is the answer SPDIF? What is max DSD rate using SPDIF in general?

Burki

Got a few things working now.

1. I confirmed that 24/192 and up to DSD64 works from the A6 HDMI Audio output when sent by Roon. Internal app and HDMI with DSD set to native must be set in the input/output menu of A6.
is not working for me:

1684868157589.png

Not able to use with the eversolo DSD with Roon through HDMI (local files are playing without problems and my Emotiva XMC-1 surely understands DSD). Without resampling DSD to PCM, I get errors from Roon and no sound or some hiss.
Also I can set here in Roon channels only to 2.0 or 5.1 (no 7.1).

multisport4me

You (and @mirror88) are right. I'll be damned its only DSD64. My BD player supports up to DSD512 native but it has to be output the analog outputs. The AV10 only supports 2.8Mhz (DSD64) via HDMI - both 2 channel and multichannel.

multisport4me

is not working for me:

View attachment 287613

Not able to use with the eversolo DSD with Roon through HDMI (local files are playing without problems and my Emotiva XMC-1 surely understands DSD). Without resampling DSD to PCM, I get errors from Roon and no sound or some hiss.
Also I can set here in Roon channels only to 2.0 or 5.1 (no 7.1).

You probably need to down sample to DSD64 in Roon if you want to use HDMI out of the A6. Can you play them back through Roon to the A6 using the XLR outputs of the A6?

Top Bottom