• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

just1n

Forum Donor
… also that you will not be forced to buy DLBC and order to be able to buy ART in the near future
That would be nice if true. Undermines the repeated argument that it’s going to cost $1100 for the whole Dirac ART bundle.

davidc

Forum Donor
That would be nice if true. Undermines the repeated argument that it’s going to cost $1100 for the whole Dirac ART bundle.

Understood. But this was stated directly by a Dirac employee who participates in this and alcoholics forums and has a lot of involvement in the Beta versions people are testing.

NainSG

So he says ART is on the roadmap, can't tell when but there is usually 2 big updates per year so between april and june I guess.
He says it will need a software update and not an hardware upgrade (but the question was about the Marantz AV10).
The host suggested the 4 sub outputs on the 2022 AVRs are here especially to be useful with ART so the x3800h should be updated as well.

equinox_uk

So he says ART is on the roadmap, can't tell when but there is usually 2 big updates per year so between april and june I guess.
He says it will need a software update and not an hardware upgrade (but the question was about the Marantz AV10).
The host suggested the 4 sub outputs on the 2022 AVRs are here especially to be useful with ART so the x3800h should be updated as well.
Yeah so it’s pretty clear that time to market is being bounded by the number of receivers they need to do the certification on. Obviously much simpler given the smaller ranges for Anthem etc.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
ChatGPT 3.5 analysis of this video:

Summary:
Certainly! In the conversation, Phil Jones, representing Sound United, discusses various audio products and updates. Some key points include:

1. **Masimo Health Integration:** Sound United is incorporating Masimo health technology into their products, allowing users to monitor vitals like blood oxygen levels, heart rate, and more.

2. **Denon and Pearl Products:** Denon and Pearl products integrate Masimo technology for custom hearing profiles, earning them popularity and recognition.

3. **Heos Integration with Health Devices:** Heos-enabled devices can receive data from health devices and transmit it to the cloud, showcasing a merging of audio and health technologies.

4. **2024 Product Expectations:** Phil mentions exciting developments for 2024, building anticipation for new releases.

5. **Direct Live Bass Control:** Sound United introduces Direct Live Bass Control, allowing precise control over bass performance, and plans to provide a step-by-step guide for users.

6. **Siri Integration:** Denon home speakers now integrate with Siri, requiring an Apple home hub for operation.

7. **Bluetooth Retransmission:** Some Heos-enabled Hi-Fi products now support Bluetooth retransmission, enabling flexible audio playback options.

8. **Future Videos:** Phil mentions upcoming YouTube videos, including step-by-step guides for integrating Direct Live Bass Control.

9. **Sub Transducer Output:** The AV10 features a separate sub transducer output that sends only low-frequency signals.

10. **Continual Improvement:** Sound United emphasizes their commitment to improving and evolving their products based on user feedback.

The conversation provides insights into the latest advancements, features, and future plans for Sound United's audio products.

Actionable Steps:
Certainly! Based on the conversation, here are some actionable steps or takeaways:

1. **Explore Masimo Health Integration:** If interested in health monitoring, explore the Masimo integration in Denon and Pearl products to monitor vital signs. Consider trying out the custom hearing profiles for a unique audio experience.

2. **Heos Integration for Health Data:** If using Masimo health devices, leverage Heos-enabled audio products for seamless integration. This allows health data to be transmitted to the cloud without relying on a phone or health hub.

3. **Anticipate 2024 Product Releases:** Keep an eye out for Sound United's upcoming product releases in 2024, as mentioned by Phil Jones. Stay informed about new features and advancements.

4. **Experiment with Direct Live Bass Control:** For users with compatible Sound United products, experiment with the newly introduced Direct Live Bass Control. Follow the step-by-step guides that Phil mentioned in the upcoming YouTube videos.

5. **Utilize Siri Integration:** If you own Denon home speakers, explore Siri integration. Ensure you have an Apple home hub in your house for seamless voice control.

6. **Bluetooth Retransmission for Heos Hi-Fi:** If you own Heos-enabled Hi-Fi products, explore the Bluetooth retransmission feature for flexible audio playback options. Experiment with playing audio through both speakers and headphones or adjusting volume levels independently.

7. **Stay Informed Through YouTube:** Subscribe to the Sound United YouTube channel for informative videos, including step-by-step guides on integrating new features like Direct Live Bass Control.

8. **Optimize Sub Transducer Output:** If you have an AV10, explore the separate sub transducer output. Understand that it sends only low-frequency signals, providing flexibility for incorporating subwoofers or transducers in your audio setup.

9. **Provide Feedback for Improvement:** Sound United emphasizes continual improvement based on user feedback. If you encounter any issues or have suggestions, consider sharing your experiences to contribute to future product enhancements.

By taking these actionable steps, users can make the most of the latest features, integrations, and improvements offered by Sound United's audio products.

OP
PHD

PHD

Future implementation of Dirac ART confirmed by Masimo rep:

NainSG

Wow, thanks for the info... But the last 5 posts were already about that (and with the same video) :D

OP
PHD

PHD

Official announcement about Dirac ART coming to D&M next year. They didn't say when exactly but I already told you they're aiming at mid-April 2024. FW is already in production state, but not yet released. Roon certification is also planned for 2024 (Masimo is currently working out some issues with HARMAN to get their agreement to add a "Roon Ready" source into the HEOS app, so users could instantly switch from HEOS to the Roon app).

Dolby Atmos on selected music streaming services is also being considered, as well as Deezer HIFI support.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
ChatGPT 3.5 analysis:

Summary:
In this extensive conversation, the speakers discussed various topics related to audio equipment, specifically focusing on Definitive Technology speakers and Denon Marantz receivers. They delved into technical details such as direct live, subwoofer configurations, and the integration of HEOS technology. The discussion also covered recent updates, including the U32 release for HEOS, which brought improvements to system stability, stereo synchronization, and Bluetooth transmission. The conversation touched on the user experience enhancements in the HEOS app, such as a unified search feature and improved functionality. They explored the possibilities of wireless speaker setups using HEOS, even in apartment settings, and discussed potential future developments, including HEOS support for home theater systems. The speakers shared insights into using Definitive Technology speakers in various setups, highlighting their versatility and recommending them for users interested in high-quality audio experiences. The conversation concluded with a reminder to check out additional information on the speakers and related technologies on the speaker's YouTube channel.

Actionable Steps:
Certainly! Here are actionable steps derived from the conversation:
1. **Explore Definitive Technology Speakers:**
- Consider exploring Definitive Technology speakers, especially if you're in the market for high-quality audio equipment.
2. **Understand Subwoofer Configurations:**
- If you have multiple subwoofers, understand the different configurations and how they can enhance bass control in your audio setup.
3. **Stay Informed about Updates:**
- Stay informed about updates in audio technology, such as the U32 release for HEOS, which brought improvements to stability, synchronization, and Bluetooth transmission.
4. **Optimize HEOS App Experience:**
- If you use the HEOS app, explore the recent enhancements, such as the unified search feature and improved functionality, to optimize your music streaming experience.
5. **Consider Wireless Setup with HEOS:**
- If you're in an apartment or prefer a wireless setup, consider using HEOS technology for a convenient and wire-free audio solution.
6. **Explore Future Possibilities:**
- Keep an eye on future developments, such as potential HEOS support for home theater systems, and evaluate whether these align with your audio setup preferences.
7. **Check out Definitive Technology Interviews:**
- If interested in a deeper understanding of Definitive Technology speakers, check out interviews with key figures, such as Scott Orth and Michael Greco, who were involved in designing specific speaker models.
8. **Stay Updated on Sound United Training:**
- Stay updated on Sound United Training for additional insights and information about the latest audio technologies.
9. **Subscribe to YouTube Channels:**
- Subscribe to relevant YouTube channels, such as the speaker's channel, for more in-depth discussions, reviews, and tutorials related to audio equipment.
10. **Share and Subscribe:**
- If you find valuable content, share it with others who might benefit, and consider subscribing to channels to stay updated on the latest audio trends.
These actionable steps should guide you in exploring and optimizing your audio setup based on the insights provided in the conversation.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is true that there are very few full-range speakers that can produce bass that subwoofers can. But, if you've heard of the company called VMPS, you know that they're Super Tower III,'s can definitely handle the task
My Polk L800’s can. Dual 10’s and ported to 23Hz.

I was impressed. I still have 4 subs and was running 6 for a while.

Once I get a D&M upgrade, I’ll run the LFE through them. I’m curious how Dirac ART will handle that

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have both and I´ll do a full calibration next week. Audyssey MultEQ served me well but reduces the subwoofer levels unjustly as it assumes that 4 subs give a 9dB boost in a room. My first feeling is that DLBC does it´s job aligning the subs as advertized and delivers a tighther bass with more punch.
I’m a fan of MSO and doing the multi-subs in REW. Then I “exclude” the sub measurements in MQX

Ciobi69

Official announcement about Dirac ART coming to D&M next year. They didn't say when exactly but I already told you they're aiming at mid-April 2024. FW is already in production state, but not yet released. Roon certification is also planned for 2024 (Masimo is currently working out some issues with HARMAN to get their agreement to add a "Roon Ready" source into the HEOS app, so users could instantly switch from HEOS to the Roon app).

Dolby Atmos on selected music streaming services is also being considered, as well as Deezer HIFI support.
Got to live Till then well

Iceee

Tnx for info brother. When ART to PC standalone version? Could you ask your buddy

Descartes

Major Contributor
With the lawsuit between Apple and Massimo it is going to be interesting if Massimo loose. All their brands of electronics and speakers might end up on the block for sake again!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here’s what ChatGpT 4.0 said about this lawsuit.

The lawsuit between Apple and Masimo is a patent dispute related to the technology used in the Apple Watch. Here are the key points:

- Masimo, a medical tech company, accused Apple of stealing trade secrets and infringing on 10 of their patents, specifically those related to the O2 sensor in the Apple Watch⁴.
- The dispute began when Apple reportedly contacted Masimo in 2013, expressing interest in a "working relationship". After meetings where Masimo's pulse oximeter technology was discussed, Apple allegedly began hiring Masimo's staff⁴.
- In 2020, Masimo filed an official lawsuit against Apple. The dispute escalated when the Apple Watch Series 6 launched with a new blood oxygen detection feature⁴.
- Masimo asked the US International Trade Commission to ban imports of the new model. This attempt failed, but a court later ruled that Apple had indeed infringed one of the 10 patents⁴.
- The court battle ended in a mistrial, with six of the jurors finding that Apple had not stolen trade secrets to create the O2 sensor in the Apple Watch, but the seventh juror disagreed⁴.
- Despite the mistrial, Masimo intends to file for a retrial⁴.
- Masimo's CEO, Joe Kiani, has stated that he is determined to fight Apple until the end²³. He believes that standing up to Apple might change the company for the better².
- Kiani also mentioned that Masimo is open to a settlement discussion, but claims that Apple hasn't made any moves to do so⁵.

Please note that this information is based on the latest available data and the situation may have changed¹²³⁴⁵⁶.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 1/2/2024
(1) Apple vs. Masimo court battle ends in mistrial; jury 6-1 for Apple. https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/02/apple-vs-masimo-mistrial/.
(2) Masimo CEO on why he’s spending over $100 million to fight Apple: ‘It might change Apple for the better’. https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/31/masimo-ceo-interview-apple-watch-ban/.
(3) ‘Might change Apple for the better’ says Masimo CEO on spending $100mn in Apple Watch IP case. https://www.firstpost.com/tech/migh...ng-100mn-in-apple-watch-ip-case-13565932.html.
(4) Masimo claims settlement is possible, but Apple not budging. https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...ple-watch-settlement-if-apple-would-only-call.
(5) Massimo’s CEO speaks. https://www.gizchina.com/2024/01/01/apple-watch-controversy-masimos-ceo-speaks-out/.
(6) Potential Apple Watch Ban Issued by U.S. Trade Tribunal in Masimo .... https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/27/us-trade-tribunal-apple-watch-ban-masimo/.

multisport4me

With the lawsuit between Apple and Massimo it is going to be interesting if Massimo loose. All their brands of electronics and speakers might end up on the block for sake again!

Why? What makes you think Masimo will divest itself of Sound United brands if Apple wins on appeal? Couldn't a settlement also be a possible outcome that just as easily injects a f*&k ton of capital into Masimo?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to let everybody know that Flack (Flavio), has confirmed to me that DLBC is of no benefit if you run full range main speakers capable of producing low bass properly without a subwoofer, and also that you will not be forced to buy DLBC and order to be able to buy ART in the near future
I was told that you don’t have to buy DLBC to use ART, but if you wanted ART and any subwoofers, you need DLBC.

That is, for 2.0 full range or even 7.0.4 if you had all full range speakers and no subwoofer, you can just get ART and it can be a big improvement.

But you cannot run ART on bed layer full range and then have LFE just be LFE. The moment you have a subwoofer and any ART speakers, even if full range, you need DLBC.

Not sure if true or not. I realize it was @TimoJ who explained it to me, not @Flak.

The other issue, beyond the control of Dirac is that movie content may not be produced that has bass in the main channels. So extending mains that go down to say 25-30 Hz benefit very little from filling in down to 20 Hz.

On the other hand, if you have full range speakers, they can really contribute as support channels to enhance the main subwoofer.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
I was told that you don’t have to buy DLBC to use ART, but if you wanted ART and any subwoofers, you need DLBC.
That is not quite correct. There are also well matched passive subwoofers with an integrated crossover. These can still be used under ART without DLBC. However, they are usually run via external power amplifiers, so you might ask yourself whether you should remove the passive crossover to extend the support area and use it on a sub-out with DLBC.
A Definitive Technology Dymension DM80 would also not require DLBC and has an integrated woofer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom