• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

Thunder22

Not sure if you did this list of actions...
-Change crossover to 60hz/80hz/100hz depending on speaker size
-Turn off Midrange Compensation for all speakers
-Reduce MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range to 300hz(but my rears are at 270hz to emulate front speaker curves), except subwoofer.
-Turn on Dyn. Eq.
- Get out of calibration editor screen
- click send file button on top and follow instructions to select device and file to send.

After file has been sent, go to avr remote control under audio- audyssey-Ref Lvl Offset and select 0db, 5db, 10db or 15db depending on the recording level of the content. Just adjust by ear for each source. Usually, I shuttle between 5db or 10 db.

Also for spotify, turn off Restorer under audio settings. For tv, can also try turning off Speaker Virtualizer and Center Spread if u see it somewhere in the setup menus. This is based on my x3600h. Not sure if it's the same for x8500h. I could be wrong but no harm trying haha.

Ok I turned of midrange compensation, reduced Audyssey frequency range to 500 hz., turned off dyn. eq.

Also, apparently I was running all my speakers on large with no crossover. I changed them to small and set the crossovers accordingly.

All of these changes really helped and I'm back to loving the sound. Now I get to play around with different combinations. Thanks Benedium.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Thanks for the quick responses. I am guessing during the original calibration something went wrong. I do find it slightly fatiguing still and will be trying some of Benedium's advice. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Currently I do not have a laptop/UMIK1/REW setup, but hopefully I will fall down that rabbit hole someday.

Yesterday I read @pengs "The Audyssey multieq editor app users thread (with facts and tips)" in it's entirety and found it to be super informative and well done. Thank you Peng!
Hi Thunder22,

I have searched and searched for the Peng thread you mentioned only to get zero results every time. Would it be possible for you to include a link to the Audyssey multi eq thread you mentioned above please. Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Andysu

Major Contributor

AdamG

Forum Donor

Andysu

Major Contributor
Hi Andy’s,

Thanks for the reply and link. Now wonder I could not find the Thread, it’s in a different forum. I have read and follow that AVS thread.
I not been on this thread much only few posts, I had no ideas what you, and tunder was talking about then googled the few keywords in and found one result that looked like it.

Anterantz

Hi guys, I just tried a nord purifi ncore nc400 x 3 amp to power my front trio and I haven't noticed anything at all vs internal amps from the 8500h what's going on? Audyssey has left the gain at the same value as if I measure with internal amps! I have not noticed more delivery or better sinad at the -5db listening volume I use for movies.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Hi guys, I just tried a nord purifi ncore nc400 x 3 amp to power my front trio and I haven't noticed anything at all vs internal amps from the 8500h what's going on? Audyssey has left the gain at the same value as if I measure with internal amps! I have not noticed more delivery or better sinad at the -5db listening volume I use for movies.

‘Did you rerun the Audyssey calibration? Did you change the amp assignment to turn off the Denon internal amps your no longer using?

Anterantz

[QUOTE = "AdamG247, publicación: 680343, miembro: 24432"] '¿Ha vuelto a ejecutar la calibración de Audyssey? ¿Cambiaste la asignación del amplificador para apagar los amplificadores internos Denon que ya no usas? [/ QUOTE]
yes

AdamG

Forum Donor
[QUOTE = "AdamG247, publicación: 680343, miembro: 24432"] '¿Ha vuelto a ejecutar la calibración de Audyssey? ¿Cambiaste la asignación del amplificador para apagar los amplificadores internos Denon que ya no usas? [/ QUOTE]
yes

Have you tried just 2 ch music? Any noticeable improvement? If no, then maybe with your current speakers efficiency, distance to MLP you don’t need an outboard amp. If you can’t tell a difference then consider sending the amp back and use that money on a sub upgrade maybe!

Urgo

Forum Donor

It's a mistake, it's not the ncore 400, it's the Purifi 3x 1ET400A.
Both have been tested here I think.

Last edited:

Urgo

Forum Donor
I add that the test of friend Anterantz, although subjective, has been carried out with the right amplifier.
Either of these two class D would have served equally well, by measurements and power. It is also true that the room is small and the listening area has to be very close, so it is difficult that after calibrating the external amplification it can be useful in this case. It could be perhaps, we do not know, in case of more demanding speakers.

In my slightly larger room at 7.2.4, the audible differences are subtle and only for my 2-channel direct music auditions. Likewise, with more demanding speakers it is possible that it was also different, mine are 6 ohms, with a sensitivity of 91db.
It is also true that it frees the avr from work and heat, especially if we use many channels, but for these dimensions of room and speakers not too demanding, the differences in sound are very small. They may not justify the expense of an external amplifier, at least as far as sound quality is concerned, always speaking of subjective sensations.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Assuming your Purifi is actually the 1ET400A per Urgo or Hypex's NC400, there could be several reasons why you heard no difference, and/or no change in level settings by Audyssey:

For the unchanged level settings part:
- You forgot to send the new Audyssey Mult EQ results to the AVR after the re-run on the MultEQ Editor App from your device (smart phone or tablet)
- Your Amps come with some sort of extra gain stage, bringing close to the Denon's approximately 29 dB gain (28-29)
- When you did the re-run, the mic position might have been different than when you ran it without the external amp.

For the heard no difference (assume that's what you meant..) part:

- As expected, it is very hard for humans in rooms with the average kind of noise floor to hear distortions+noise below -80 dB when listening to music and movies.

Regardless, unless you did the comparison under the exact same conditions, using the same media contents, and switch between the two being compared in very short time if not instantly (such as a few seconds), and did it without knowing which one you are listening to, any difference you heard would not be reliable anyway.

Between the X8500H's and the Purifi or Hypex amps, all else being equal, it would be very tough to hear any difference if "power output" is not the issue in the first place. Anyone who claimed hearing the difference would disagree, and no one can tell them what they heard wasn't real but.....:D

Benedium

Forum Donor
Ok I turned of midrange compensation, reduced Audyssey frequency range to 500 hz., turned off dyn. eq.

Also, apparently I was running all my speakers on large with no crossover. I changed them to small and set the crossovers accordingly.

All of these changes really helped and I'm back to loving the sound. Now I get to play around with different combinations. Thanks Benedium.
Oh after trying reducing multieq filter range so many times feeling it just sounded wrong mostly, I went back to full range correction and just did abit of EQ in the curve editor. Also don't have to turn up the volume so much now. Finally understood the advice of someone on audioholics multieq editor forum and added just under +1db boost to 20hz while bringing down 80hz for LCR speakers, 100hz for surrounds and subwoofer to roughly +0db. Not easy with fat fingers so I use some kind of stylus. I suppose it would be easier to do so on a compatible tablet. Sounds much much better now I think. Of course it would be better if I would use umik and REW to get real measurements but guess I'm lazy heheh.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh after trying reducing multieq filter range so many times feeling it just sounded wrong mostly, I went back to full range correction and just did abit of EQ in the curve editor. Also don't have to turn up the volume so much now. Finally understood the advice of someone on audioholics multieq editor forum and added just under +1db boost to 20hz while bringing down 250hz to roughly +0db to all speakers and subwoofer. Not easy with fat fingers so I use some kind of stylus. I suppose it would be easier to do so on a compatible tablet. Sounds much much better now I think. Of course it would be better if I would use umik and REW to get real measurements but guess I'm lazy heheh.

If you have fat fingers you should try Ratbuddyssey, its free and easy to use. Thanks again to @Dj7675 who provided the link to it in post#12 in that Audioholics users thread. Even without using REW to check the results, you can at least do the little boosts by the exact amount you want because you will be typing it in instead of drawing it. Just don't go crazy on boosts.
The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips) | Audioholics Home Theater Forums

Andysu

Major Contributor
My denon avc-x8500h is in the video
My white trash home cinema it is better than all yours but now I do not care about it or any other I rather spit on my home cinema that I have taken years to put this white trash together . home cinema ain't everything and I have lost everything my uncle , my Dad my cat Sooty (was final strew of 2020) so I just don't give a hoot anymore .

Benedium

Forum Donor
My denon avc-x8500h is in the video
My white trash home cinema it is better than all yours but now I do not care about it or any other I rather spit on my home cinema that I have taken years to put this white trash together . home cinema ain't everything and I have lost everything my uncle , my Dad my cat Sooty (was final strew of 2020) so I just don't give a hoot anymore .

Sorry for your loss...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly sorry. Hope 2021 is better to you.

tparm

Forum Donor
Considering moving from my X4700 to an X8500 and having the option to run a 5.2.4 Atmos and 5.2.5 Auro3D system. Which height channel do I use fo the VOG? My room is only 14.8’ wide and I have one row of seating so front wides, rear surrounds and 6 Atmos channels aren’t possible (the room is deep but a high top table and large bar are behind the seating.

Thanks

Zedly

Forum Donor
The X8500 has terminals for 6 height speakers. The VOG connects to the Height 3L terminal. It's described on page 67 of the owners manual (you can download from denon.com

Top Bottom