• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

2therock

Roon is pretty but a subscription required to use a subscription?

CapMan

Major Contributor
Anyone else noticed their 4800 is now not showing as a an uncertified Roon tested device ?

Joe909

I would like some expert opinions as I can't evaluate the products side-by-side myself. I am interested in the 4800 because I can get a good deal on it. It is not worth its MSRP (or Amazon) price to me. I don't care about its amps. I only need it to power the surrounds. I do care a lot about the front end - how it can make my system work well in my room and DACs that will do a great job. Would you recommend this product in that regard? If not, I will need to keep saving for the Emotiva XMC2. (Unless you think that is a bad idea too....) Thanks for your advice and opinions. Well, it seems the panther lost his head in 2021 for the Emotiva. Looks like I need to rethink things there....

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone else noticed their 4800 is now not showing as a an uncertified Roon tested device ?
Is it showing as Roon Ready or just not showing at all (i.e. AirPlay only)?

Jack B

Forum Donor
I would like some expert opinions as I can't evaluate the products side-by-side myself. I am interested in the 4800 because I can get a good deal on it. It is not worth its MSRP (or Amazon) price to me. I don't care about its amps. I only need it to power the surrounds. I do care a lot about the front end - how it can make my system work well in my room and DACs that will do a great job. Would you recommend this product in that regard? If not, I will need to keep saving for the Emotiva XMC2. (Unless you think that is a bad idea too....) Thanks for your advice and opinions. Well, it seems the panther lost his head in 2021 for the Emotiva. Looks like I need to rethink things there....
I can only respond to part of your inquiry and only subjectively. I have read that the DACs are not top-of-the-line; is this audible performance, or only numbers-chasing? Dunno.
Can report that I am using my 4800 as a front-end, with a reasonably powerful separate amp for the three front channels, and a less powerful 8-channel amp for surrounds and overheads. Very convenient to set up and adjust multichannels; good Audyssey MultEQ; good bass management including dual subwoofer outputs; capability to upgrade (for a fee) to Dirac Live; and it runs cooler than my previous Marantz.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Roon is pretty but a subscription required to use a subscription?
I agree...I needed to build a music server to play my content (including high-res 5.1 music) properly and, overall, Roon, was a good solution. But it is expensive and, even worse, the Roon community is very cult-like.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't get paying for a media player when there are so many free ones. ???

rynberg

Forum Donor
I don't get paying for a media player when there are so many free ones. ???
In my case, I didn't want to hook up a Windows PC to my AV system and try to select music on that, otherwise I could have just used Foobar. I wanted an appliance, so I built up a NUC, put the Roon ROCK OS on it (very highly specialized Linux OS), and use it as my endpoint for Roon. It can play any file type without file manipulation (unlike the Nvidia Shield I was using previously), including 5.1 music. If Plex and the Shield could have played my music without resampling it (poorly) and could have handled 5.1, I would have stuck with that for no additional cost.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've
I wanted an appliance, so I built up a NUC, put the Roon ROCK OS on it (very highly specialized Linux OS),
I've run a Linux desktop here for close to 2 decades. In the main I use Strawberry to to serve just about any multich file bitperfectly to my AVR. I currently only have to switch to Kodi to passthru Atmos encrypted files which should hopefully
change in the near future.

Roger_

In my case, I didn't want to hook up a Windows PC to my AV system and try to select music on that, otherwise I could have just used Foobar. I wanted an appliance, so I built up a NUC, put the Roon ROCK OS on it (very highly specialized Linux OS), and use it as my endpoint for Roon. It can play any file type without file manipulation (unlike the Nvidia Shield I was using previously), including 5.1 music. If Plex and the Shield could have played my music without resampling it (poorly) and could have handled 5.1, I would have stuck with that for no additional cost.
You didn't want to build a windows PC but instead used a NUC for Roon?
so a seperate device is then not the problem.
Use the NUC and install Kodi on it. It's for free. And if you want it as an appliance go for OSMC (which uses Kodi as a basis)

rynberg

Forum Donor
You didn't want to build a windows PC but instead used a NUC for Roon?
so a seperate device is then not the problem.
Use the NUC and install Kodi on it. It's for free. And if you want it as an appliance go for OSMC (which uses Kodi as a basis)
Yes, I'm running a NUC with a dedicated Roon OS...this is not even remotely the same the same thing as installing Kodi (not for me) on a Windows OS. It was worth it to me to spend the money on Roon to have a reliable, beautiful, and highly functional media player that can handle all audio types, including multichannel. Zero compatibility problems.

I already have a Plex server on my main desktop PC which uses the Nvidia Shield as the "endpoint". Unfortunately, the Shield cannot properly handle all of the audio formats I use, otherwise I would have just used Plex.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like some expert opinions as I can't evaluate the products side-by-side myself. I am interested in the 4800 because I can get a good deal on it. It is not worth its MSRP (or Amazon) price to me. I don't care about its amps. I only need it to power the surrounds. I do care a lot about the front end - how it can make my system work well in my room and DACs that will do a great job. Would you recommend this product in that regard?

Even if you do a side-by-side, it would be a tough experiment to make it a real apples to apples comparison listening test at home, especially for movie contents. For two channel, very careful listening, I doubt one can hear much different between the 4800 used as preamp/dac versus anything (even the likes of AV10, AVM 90), not in direct/pure direct mode. I am saying this with certainty, that those who heard a difference wouldn't be because of the different AVRs compared, but how they compared. I can't prove that, but neither could they prove theirs so I wouldn't argue with anyone on this point, just sharing my own experience. Just keep in mind on forum, anyone (me included) can say anything they want, so many will say yes, others would say no, don't know, not sure etc., and naturally those who spent much more on their device would tend to say the "right" things;). So, objectively speaking, if its feature set meets your requirements, the 4800 will do a great job, and I would recommend even the 3800 if it meets your requirements.

If not, I will need to keep saving for the Emotiva XMC2. (Unless you think that is a bad idea too....)

I would not do that, but if you have good reasons then sure...

Last edited:

rynberg

Forum Donor
If not, I will need to keep saving for the Emotiva XMC2. (Unless you think that is a bad idea too....)
For the love of god, WHY???? A quick Google search should easily turn up what a dumpster fire of a company Emotiva is when it comes to processors. Avoid at all costs.

2therock

Where does one look to see this?

davidc

Forum Donor
Confusion over LFE with only LARGE floor standing main speakers.

I have a 4800. I have large floor standing main speakers capable of reproducing low bass at high volume with low distortion.

I do not have a subwoofer.

I was under the impression that if I have the fronts set to LARGE and tell the Denon I do not have a sub, the LFE channel would be sent to the large main speakers.

I am now told by some that this is incorrect. That the only way to get an LFE signal is actually to have a sub. That there is no setting that would allow the LFE channel to be sent to the large main speakers. None. Therefore, I am missing the LFE signal.

Is this correct? And, if not, if there is a way to have LFE sent to the main speakers if I don't have a sub, can you show me where in the manual or provide some other sort of "proof" or other info.

Thank you.

Last edited:

PGAMiami

Confusion over LFE with only LARGE floor standing main speakers.

I have a 4800. I have large floor standing main speakers capable of reproducing low bass at high volume with low distortion.

I do not have a subwoofer.

I was under the impression that if I have the fronts set to LARGE and tell the Denon I do not have a sub, the LFE channel would be sent to the large main speakers.

I am now told by some that this is incorrect. That the only way to get an LFE signal is actually to have a sub. That there is no setting that would allow the LFE channel to be sent to the large main speakers. None. Therefore, I am missing the LFE signal.

Is this correct? And, if not, if there is a way to have LFE sent to the main speakers if I don't have a sub, can you show me where in the manual or provide some other sort of "proof" or other info.

Thank you.
I have the same set up. Using mostly the default settings with no sub, two front as large, no center and two surround as small. I’ve tested the LFE with one of the many Dolby test videos that are on YouTube, and in my tests the 4800 does play the LFE test signal on my front speakers.

Top Bottom