• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

hiphop_odc

ha! pw works! not so thrilling that advanced setting feature but many thanks!!

are you watching movies with 59? I thought after reading 1000 posts 24 is the shit....

anyway it's working with 8k setting yes, but why. 4500 was able in 4k standard and it is not a 8k feature...
You can set your plex to match framerate and there is a auto framerate app you can download on your Shield

supermood

thanks yes I know that's not the point. black screen with a usual 4k setting is concerning me. worked with the 4500

supermood

Thanks!! that explains it :)

other topic, even after 15 years with denon there's still no option to have a change of volume a bit slower than it is now.

constantly not hitting the right amount with the first try.

I wonder if we are living in some kind of matrix :) because it's impossible that denon is not realizing that crap. impossible. why is it like this. why denon

phn

I have an old iPad that I pretty much use solely as the Denon AVR remote nowadays. I am now so used to the Denon App providing the holistic view on all settings at a go and very rarely bother with the remote any more. Very easy to change presets etc while changing sources too. The SVS app is in it as well.

supermood

I have an old iPad that I pretty much use solely as the Denon AVR remote nowadays. I am now so used to the Denon App providing the holistic view on all settings at a go and very rarely bother with the remote any more. Very easy to change presets etc while changing sources too. The SVS app is in it as well.
I've reactivated my harmony elite recently. same problem with volume of course.

I really have enough devices in my life.. tablet or phone while watching is not so perfect for me. especially not for volume and play/pause...

honestly, as I'm not so informed about all pro's and cons and audiophile - if I had remembered while ordering I would have tried Yamaha or whatever. I still can't belive that this core core core functionality is implemented like that.

remembering now that I read something really hateful 15 years ago in a forum :) it's a bit like these only 14 volume steps in android phones for media since years..

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The x4800h has 195 volume steps in 0.5dB increments (and you control the speed of the increase/decrease with the fingertip), pause/play with its internal players is also no problem with the provided remote. I am not seeing any usability issues here, and it's the first time I see it mentioned in any brand AVR thread (I've owned three brands, all implemented volume function well).

The only unaddressed item I see is that a more thorough input/output chart is desired, the INFO button would by my go to tool (but I have not found anything that does not function as expected...typical Denon :) ).

rvsixer

Great suggestion.
Going to phone apps for control of everything possible has drastically reduced the amount of remotes needed !!!

Reactions: phn

supermood

not sure i get you.

if that's the first time you hear about it you should read more ;) sorry.

just one page of that topic attached.. needed 3 seconds.

example. try to bring it up from 36 to 39.5 without pressing the remote 7 times. and tell me how many times you've tried. or if you ever hit it at all....

or take any other step up or down. any!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104_170936.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_170936.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 67

supermood

Great suggestion.
Going to phone apps for control of everything possible has drastically reduced the amount of remotes needed !!!
that's honestly not true in home theater. you can't even use without looking. screen always on or what :) maybe plugged in...

I've done everything with my phone via unified. sure it's working. but it's not like real remote if you want to watch peacefully. 3 times the efforts for a single pause.

phn

that's honestly not true in home theater. you can't even use without looking. screen always on or what :) maybe plugged in...

I've done everything with my phone via unified. sure it's working. but it's not like real remote if you want to watch peacefully. 3 times the efforts for a single pause.
It's the iPad and one another remote, true. Here's my little lounge. With movies, projector remote at the shelf, turn it on then leave it on the shelf. Pull the screen down, it is manual.

Then AppleTV remote and the iPad. iPad also for the Philips Hue light modes.

Come to think, the Denon app also provides the web interface, where I can tweak speaker levels individually as needed. Center, mainly. Mr Nolan I am talking about you.

Annoyingly, for CDs, another remote as well. I've got a Denon CD player as well, but the AVR and CD remotes don't interact. Boo. Also, a remote for Sat TV box as well, if watching that. So yeah, so may remotes. But having a need for just one plus the pad is nice.

IMG_4514.jpeg

supermood

It's the iPad and one another remote, true. Here's my little lounge. With movies, projector remote at the shelf, turn it on then leave it on the shelf. Pull the screen down, it is manual.

Come to think, the Denon app also provides the web interface, where I can tweak speaker levels individually as needed. Center, mainly. Mr Nolan I am talking about you.

Annoyingly, for CDs, another remote as well. I've got a Denon CD player as well, but the AVR and CD remotes don't interact. Boo. Also, a remote for Sat TV box as well, if watching that. So yeah, so may remotes. But having a need for just one plus the pad is nice.

View attachment 323749

I'm currently really happy with my reactivated harmony elite. more than some years ago. had a break of some years without home theater in another country..

now only 1 remote. works like Charme besides the Batterie drain..

but. my topic was this xxxx volume management with the besides that great denon. with the app interface cou cannot change volume. and even if. you need a phone. and with the 5 year old app that's really a joke. I'm faster with going to the receiver ;)

techsamurai

View attachment 323749
Cozy and cleverly architected space!

rvsixer

not sure i get you.

if that's the first time you hear about it you should read more ;) sorry.

just one page of that topic attached.. needed 3 seconds.

example. try to bring it up from 36 to 39.5 without pressing the remote 7 times. and tell me how many times you've tried. or if you ever hit it at all....

or take any other step up or down. any!
Having a remote that allows a finely stepped yet noticeable volume adjustment of 0.5db (and in one months usage so far, steps perfectly with each and every button press), but when you keep the button pressed it zips down VERY QUICKLY to prevent that new source you switched to from blowing up your speakers...is an actual problem. Interesting. For myself, I appreciate the behavior.

rvsixer

IMO another problem that only exists if you need it to.
I treat it like a backlit remote in my HT. Does not take three times the effort, it's still one keypress, and I have a max of one phone out (if the source has an app) and one remote out (the Denon) when viewing any one source (well three if you include the ceiling fan remote lol).

Anyhow good luck with the issues. Meine weitere Zeit nicht wert...

phn

Nice space! I love seeing clean creative setups in small spaces.
Thank you. Formerly a study, now with the kids having moved out to college we thought to completely declutter the living space of any modern gadgets. To take this back to topic, a 5.1.0 system, but it would be easy to add height speakers to roof. Something I'll likely add soon.

Acoustic treatment was a bit of a challenge, forward wall is with an acoustic wood panel that has a 1cm rockwool layer. Sides with heavy curtains, back wall then with heavier treatment, covered with 8cm rock wool panels and bass traps at corners.

And finally with Audyssey, what was acoustically a nightmare, originally, works now quite nicely. A 50Hz dip, a deep one, but narrow too, so ears don't pick it up that much. It is between floor and wall and between side walls, I've learnt to just live with it. Otherwise all good.

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
Do we know the pre out peak voltage for this amp?

Top Bottom