• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

tmukh

Now I realized I was confused. For some reason I thought you were referring to the graphic EQ.
If you have a relatively high sensitivity speaker you could try this too. Keep the volume high with no music playing and go sufficiently close to the tweeter, turn off and then on audyssey and /or tone control and you may be able to hear the hiss/buzz. Warning though: once you hear it it’s very difficult to unhear it and may keep bugging you :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a relatively high sensitivity speaker you could try this too. Keep the volume high with no music playing and go sufficiently close to the tweeter, turn off and then on audyssey and /or tone control and you may be able to hear the hiss/buzz. Warning though: once you hear it it’s very difficult to unhear it and may keep bugging you :)

Like I said I had done that with both my AVR-X4400H and Marantz AV8801, I could hear the noise/hiss from the Marantz from a few feet away at very volume 0 but with the Denon, only heard the hiss with ear touching the unit. My speaker's sensitivities were all below 90 dB/2.83V/1m, and I no longer have those two AVRs/AVPs. I can imagine if you have speaker sensitivity in the 90's, and/or if Audyssey boosted the frequency in the range where the hiss are then hiss could be very audible. Other than that, the AVR-X4400H is reasonable quiet, quieter than my Marantz (2 of them) and my previous Denon AVR-4308CI and 3805. My interconnects are short though, never longer than 2 meters, just the ordinary low cost ones such as Monsters and Monoprice's,

arn

I have at home a rpi4/volumio + rme adi2 + nad c298 (purifi) + klh5 setup for music, next to this, the nvidia shield and an xbox (on the tv). It is always bothering me, there is no bridge between the media/hdmi sources and the stereo. I am not interested in the multichannel, just i want to connect every sources to the speakers.

How good can be this amp as a streamer+dac with the poweramp for music, or maybe a standalone allinone stereo setup?

I know from the measuring aspect, it is far, but eg if i want to use a room correction, the original setup starts to be, not so “pure”.

fyton2v

Picked up this receiver yesterday to replace a terrible NAD T777v3. The Denon is working flawlessly so far. Without calibration I can't distinguish a sound quality difference between the Denon and the Dirac tuned NAD. And the software implementation on the Denon is so much better than the 777 it's shocking NAD can sell any products at all. Coming from that unit, it was just a joy to set up and start using the 4800. Also, some months back I tried (unsuccessfully) to replace the NAD with an Anthem MRX740 8K. Another poorly executed piece of ... um ... technology. The Anthem was returned.

The Denon's video quality is great. The sound is fine. It's not in the same room with me so I'll likely buy the Dirac license to make calibration easier. I have it driving B&W 70x speakers, a couple of Definitive Tech in ceiling speakers, and a PSA 18" sub for a 5.1.2 setup.

Sorry that the pic isn't all that glamorous. I have an IT closet near my home theater room and all the tech shares space in a 19" rack.

IMG_0933 Large.jpeg

RF Air

Forum Donor
Picked up this receiver yesterday to replace a terrible NAD T777v3. The Denon is working flawlessly so far. Without calibration I can't distinguish a sound quality difference between the Denon and the Dirac tuned NAD. And the software implementation on the Denon is so much better than the 777 it's shocking NAD can sell any products at all. Coming from that unit, it was just a joy to set up and start using the 4800. Also, some months back I tried (unsuccessfully) to replace the NAD with an Anthem MRX740 8K. Another poorly executed piece of ... um ... technology. The Anthem was returned.

The Denon's video quality is great. The sound is fine. It's not in the same room with me so I'll likely buy the Dirac license to make calibration easier. I have it driving B&W 70x speakers, a couple of Definitive Tech in ceiling speakers, and a PSA 18" sub for a 5.1.2 setup.

Sorry that the pic isn't all that glamorous. I have an IT closet near my home theater room and all the tech shares space in a 19" rack.

View attachment 280864
Congratulations on your purchase! Thank you for the informative journey you performed to get to this purchase. I have been very pleased with my 4800 purchase and curious to hear from you when you add Dirac.

Question, have you used the Onboard Audyssey for Room Set-Up? I would be curious to know your impression with both the Audyssey and Dirac settings.

fyton2v

Congratulations on your purchase! Thank you for the informative journey you performed to get to this purchase. I have been very pleased with my 4800 purchase and curious to hear from you when you add Dirac.

Question, have you used the Onboard Audyssey for Room Set-Up? I would be curious to know your impression with both the Audyssey and Dirac settings.

I did not try Audyssey. I did, however, buy the full Dirac license and did a quick 3 position calibration with the cheap microphone that came with the NAD. I can't really report anything meaningful there. I have a poor ear for these things and mostly just need Dirac to set speaker levels. The majority of the content playing in this room is streamed with DD+ audio ... which isn't great quality. I'll need to do some A/B comparisons with TRUEHD down the road a bit and see if I can hear the difference.

tobby

You should invest in a better mic. When using a bad mic and without calibration file Dirac will maybe do things worse than without calibration and definetly worse than Audyssey with the included mic because the receiver will use a calibration file for that mic when doing Audyssey calibration.

Jack B

Forum Donor
I did not try Audyssey. I did, however, buy the full Dirac license and did a quick 3 position calibration with the cheap microphone that came with the NAD. I can't really report anything meaningful there. I have a poor ear for these things and mostly just need Dirac to set speaker levels. The majority of the content playing in this room is streamed with DD+ audio ... which isn't great quality. I'll need to do some A/B comparisons with TRUEHD down the road a bit and see if I can hear the difference.

I second the request! Please and thank you.

Jack B

Forum Donor
You should invest in a better mic. When using a bad mic and without calibration file Dirac will maybe do things worse than without calibration and definetly worse than Audyssey with the included mic because the receiver will use a calibration file for that mic when doing Audyssey calibration.
I am a little confused here. I think Dirac demands a halfway decent mic like the UMIK-1 or -2, which do come with a calibration file. The Audyssey mic is more of an unknown, but is (to my tiny knowledge) not compatible with Dirac. ?Wherethefugarwe?

fyton2v

I am a little confused here. I think Dirac demands a halfway decent mic like the UMIK-1 or -2, which do come with a calibration file. The Audyssey mic is more of an unknown, but is (to my tiny knowledge) not compatible with Dirac. ?Wherethefugarwe?
Just to be clear, I didn't use the Audyssey mic. I used a puck-like mic that came with my NAD receiver. The NAD has out of the box support for limited Dirac - It's not worth it. I'll report back here in a few days with some on/off comparisons while playing TrueHD content.

tobby

Just to be clear, I didn't use the Audyssey mic. I used a puck-like mic that came with my NAD receiver. The NAD has out of the box support for limited Dirac - It's not worth it. I'll report back here in a few days with some on/off comparisons while playing TrueHD content.
Like I said, such a cheap mic and without calibration file will make things worse when using that setup for Dirac.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Like I said, such a cheap mic and without calibration file will make things worse when using that setup for Dirac.
Mythology - on what basis do you make this contention?

We have data on measurements made on substantial numbers of the batch calibrated audyssey and puck mics - they are remarkably consistent - yes there is some variation, but more than 90% are within a couple of db of each other - and much closer than that within the lower frequency ranges.

Room variation, and the variations caused by different mic positions (sometimes as small as a couple of cm!) will cause far greater variance than the difference between individual puck mic's.

For Room EQ purposes, there is nothing to be gained from individually calibrated mic's, other than the warm and fuzzy feeling, of having left no stone unturned in a valiant search for the acme of room EQ... but this emperor has no clothes.

The bass (where there is little variance between mic's) - is also relatively insensitive to small mic positioning variations - nothing gained there from a calibrated mic.
The highs - where there is maximum variance between puck mics - also has massive variances in "in room" response with shifting the mic a few cm being able to cause variations far higher than the typical variance between puck mics - so for Room measurement purposes - a completely unnecessary exercise spending money on calibrated mic's.

Calibrated mic's are good for measuring individual speaker performance - in setups that try to avoid room effects (free air or anechoic measurements) - but if you are looking to tune your room via your AVR/AVP.... then there is nothing to be gained from a calibrated mic.

There are calibration files floating around for the Audyssey standard microphones, and I would hazard a guess that the combination of that with PC's mic input and Dirac, would easily meet all the requirements for a very good Room EQ (something I inted to try at some point!)

tobby

I am not talking about variations between mics, I am talking about a cheap mic without calibration file. He isn't using the Audyssey mic with calibration file, but his NAD mic and probabl even without calibration file. And those cheap mics are definetly inappropriate for calibration purpose without any calibration - their frequency response is much to worse.

Jack B

Forum Donor
Thank you for the clarification....looking forward to any future reports!

fyton2v

So I don't think this info will be very helpful. Sorry in advance.

I did some A/B comparisons with a Dolby TrueHD movie track between the Dirac tuned 4800 (setup via that suboptimal microphone) and the 'out of the box' Denon experience. I did change the default Denon speaker level settings to match the Dirac levels. I don't have the best ear for these things, but I wouldn't care which version I'm listening to. In a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell one from the other. Perhaps that's good news as they both sound quite good. One thing worth mentioning is that without adjusting the default speaker levels the Dirac tuned 4800 is SUBSTANTIALLY better. The main reason is that the default level for the LFE seems pretty hot. If you have a big sub, the bass will be overpowering and some adjustment is necessary. That's probably obvious to everyone. My LFE level after Dirac is at -5.5dB with the mains at +2.5.

Also worth mentioning, possibly, is that I'm in a mostly enclosed rectangular room and all my speakers are positioned in a way that would make Dolby happy.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I don't think this info will be very helpful. Sorry in advance.

I did some A/B comparisons with a Dolby TrueHD movie track between the Dirac tuned 4800 (setup via that suboptimal microphone) and the 'out of the box' Denon experience. I did change the default Denon speaker level settings to match the Dirac levels. I don't have the best ear for these things, but I wouldn't care which version I'm listening to. In a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell one from the other. Perhaps that's good news as they both sound quite good. One thing worth mentioning is that without adjusting the default speaker levels the Dirac tuned 4800 is SUBSTANTIALLY better. The main reason is that the default level for the LFE seems pretty hot. If you have a big sub, the bass will be overpowering and some adjustment is necessary. That's probably obvious to everyone. My LFE level after Dirac is at -5.5dB with the mains at +2.5.

Also worth mentioning, possibly, is that I'm in a mostly enclosed rectangular room and all my speakers are positioned in a way that would make Dolby happy.
Just wondering, did you also use same mic measurement points for Audyssey & Dirac?

Top Bottom