• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The previous Denon 4700 achieved 101dB at 1.1v out and doesn't drop below 92dB in the range tested...come on Denon! you have achieved this before! Why not just do again consistently, and shut the likes of me up for good!
Not that one can hear these differences...but the company already currently makes processors with 100+ SINAD at 4V RMS output (in fact Audioholics just got 108dB SINAD on their latest test). Please break out your wallet and we can quiet things down here.

jpqpi

That's the thing, Amir changed the methodology, so you cannot directly compare the two graphs. Also, take any read carefully, as I see it, it is more like 87.5 or slightly higher SINAD, than 86 dB at 0.3 V, but you are right, even then the difference is almost 6 dB, still a lot. But again, quite a bit of that difference is due to the different method used for this sweep.

I posted the following graph in one of mine earlier posts to try and help lessen people's concerns of this very point:

If you look at the one for the PCM5102A, you can see the SINAD for the DAC at 0.3 V should be higher than 90 dB, probably about 91 dB, so in that case the gap due to the DAC chip itself is not significant at all, compared to the 4700's. I hope that helps settling our differences.

index.php

Thank you...I stand corrected, that does indeed show about 87.5 dB @300mV. God that's so much less intuitive to read :)

As for the methodology could anyone comment on which would produce the better performance, altering the volume in the digital domain and keeping the preamp gain higher or having full digital range output and lower the pre-amp gain?

I think my intuition (edit: and the above graphs) tell me that altering the gain in the analog domain would produce better results. I'm thinking if the DAC output is at full range you are keeping the levels as far away from the (likely somewhat constant) noise floor as possible and that at preamp stage you are basically attenuating the signal and noise together so the ratio would be the same.

If I'm not mistaken, the old methodology was altering the output in the digital domain thus making the signal vs the noise lower. Shouldn't the new methodology then produce better (and more reprensentative) results all else being equal??

ivo.f.doma

Thank you...I stand corrected, that does indeed show about 87.5 dB @300mV. God that's so much less intuitive to read :)

As for the methodology could anyone comment on which would produce the better performance, altering the volume in the digital domain and keeping the preamp gain higher or having full digital range output and lower the pre-amp gain?

I think my intuition (edit: and the above graphs) tell me that altering the gain in the analog domain would produce better results. I'm thinking if the DAC output is at full range you are keeping the levels as far away from the (likely somewhat constant) noise floor as possible and that at preamp stage you are basically attenuating the signal and noise together so the ratio would be the same.

If I'm not mistaken, the old methodology was altering the output in the digital domain thus making the signal vs the noise lower. Shouldn't the new methodology then produce better (and more reprensentative) results all else being equal??
Better yes, but not more representative. And I also have a problem with that, that the measurement methodology was changed in favor of 4800. Only in this one case! It is then poorly comparable. I'm very much looking forward to what method Amir will use to measure the nearest non-Harman AVR...

jpqpi

Better yes, but not more representative. And I also have a problem with that, that the measurement methodology was changed in favor of 4800. Only in this one case! It is then poorly comparable. I'm very much looking forward to what method Amir will use to measure the nearest non-Harman AVR...
I meant representative in the sense that if I want to change the output volume of my AVR, I reach for the volume knob which I understand is connected to the analog pre-amp and does not affect the output level of the DAC.

If this is correct then I would assume that Amir's change is for the better and will produce more accurate results. I would also make the jump (somewhat out on a limb here though :) ) and say the previous measurements using the old method actually were under-reading SINAD in which case the older 4700 model might measure even higher than the 101dB it achieved

If I'm wrong in any of these assumptions please do let me know and at the very least I'll be learning

Last edited:

Dobbyisfree

Many amps have numerous gain settings. E.g. the Nord range.
(I have no affiliation either them!l.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant representative in the sense that if I want to change the output volume of my AVR, I reach for the volume knob which I understand is connected to the analog pre-amp and does not affect the output level of the DAC.

If this is correct then I would assume that Amir's change is for the better and will produce more accurate results. I would also make the jump (somewhat out on a limb here though :) ) and say the previous measurements using the old method actually were under-reading SINAD in which case the older 4700 model might measure even higher than the 101dB it achieved

If I'm wrong in any of these assumptions please do let me know and at the very least I'll be learning

You can answer your own questions by analyzing the SINAD vs the input and output levels curves for the dac chip and the volume control chips, assuming the opamps in the signal path are not the bottleneck.

For the 4800, the volume chip is most likely the NJU72343, same as the 4700's.

Rockman2

Well....not to happy with my 4800 so far. It has had HDMI hand shake issue with my Dish Network Sat receiver and my #1 sub output is not working. Denon had me do a factory reset. This did not work. I am outside the exchange widow so now the unit needs to be sent in for service/replacement. So I have to deal with that.

Last edited:

Joost80

It's a truly great AVR with a lot of functions. The whole DAC-discussion is becoming a little ..... Your ear will not hear the difference in a blindfolded A/B comparison. The whole SINAD discussion is mostly theoretical when you talk about scores in the upper 90's. How many AVR's support quadruple sub-support, one good and one great sound improving system, 9 great amps mostly similar to sometimes outperforming dedicated amplifiers, supporting all these formats, streaming options etc. etc. etc. I think Denon is challenging the industry and by doing so making Pioneer c.s. work harder for their money so we have a choice again. In this case you can buy a Pioneer with ESS Dac's for more money and enjoy everyday knowing you have the better DAC... I in the meantime am happy with my TI 4700 knowing I will never hear the difference (and I tested ;-) )
Exactly, I exchanged a ESS dac Pioneer with the 4800h and i like the Denons sound better. But there will always numbers people, no matter how meaningless they may be. Each their own. Some wait and wait and wait for the next best thing and when they have it they get annoyed something else comes along . Until Amir tested the (older) Marantz they where up there for music lovers and received all the praise for their sound. They measured bad. Got me laughing.

ArturoKiwi

Exactly, I exchanged a ESS dac Pioneer with the 4800h and i like the Denons sound better. But there will always numbers people, no matter how meaningless they may be. Each their own. Some wait and wait and wait for the next best thing and when they have it they get annoyed something else comes along . Until Amir tested the (older) Marantz they where up there for music lovers and received all the praise for their sound. They measured bad. Got me laughing.
But... If they are both trasparent, you should not ear any differences between the Pioneer and the Denon

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I have a chance to look at the volume control IC's SINAD vs Input voltage, you can see that at 0.3 V that we were referring to, SINAD was better than 100 dB!
They don't provide the same graph for the output, but they sort of do if you look at the other graph below that shows the curves for different VOL, and you can clearly see that as you reduce the volume from 0 dB in -10 dB steps, SINAD decrease quicker than with the input voltage decreasing. For the purpose of our discussion, input voltage would be the DAC output voltage and that would depends on the signal input voltage.

So based on these two graphs and the PC5102A's graph I posted earlier, it would seem to me that it is actually oppose to what you might (might have misunderstood your point though) be saying (for the lower output level range such as from 0 to 1 V). That is, Amir's new method actually might have put the 4800 at disadvantage, in the lower pre out voltage range, for example at 0.3, or 0.1 Vrms. For the higher output levels, such as from 1.5 to 2 V, I think the difference will be negligible either way.

To me, it makes sense, because amplifiers typically have lower SINAD (as noise is included) at low output levels anyway. Do you agree, or I am mistaken?

1683294436555.png
1683294816382.png

ivo.f.doma

You are not wrong.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not wrong.

Actually it is hard to say which way is more right, or less wrong.

He is not wrong about us using the volume to change the output of the pre out, and that won't affect the output of the dac.

The part we need to keep in mind is, both dac and pre out outputs will change with the input signal.

ivo.f.doma

Actually it is hard to say which way is more right, or less wrong.

He is not wrong about us using the volume to change the output of the pre out, and that won't affect the output of the dac.

The part we need to keep in mind is, both dac and pre out outputs will change with the input signal.
Yes. I understand what you are saying. I just don't know why it was necessary to change the measurement method for this particular model so that it is not possible to compare the old measurements of the 3800. I am waiting to see how it will be measured in the future.

jpqpi

I have a chance to look at the volume control IC's SINAD vs Input voltage, you can see that at 0.3 V that we were referring to, SINAD was better than 100 dB!
They don't provide the same graph for the output, but they sort of do if you look at the other graph below that shows the curves for different VOL, and you can clearly see that as you reduce the volume from 0 dB in -10 dB steps, SINAD decrease quicker than with the input voltage decreasing. For the purpose of our discussion, input voltage would be the DAC output voltage and that would depends on the signal input voltage.

So based on these two graphs and the PC5102A's graph I posted earlier, it would seem to me that it is actually oppose to what you might (might have misunderstood your point though) be saying (for the lower output level range such as from 0 to 1 V). That is, Amir's new method actually might have put the 4800 at disadvantage, in the lower pre out voltage range, for example at 0.3, or 0.1 Vrms. For the higher output levels, such as from 1.5 to 2 V, I think the difference will be negligible either way.

To me, it makes sense, because amplifiers typically have lower SINAD (as noise is included) at low output levels anyway. Do you agree, or I am mistaken?

View attachment 283680View attachment 283681
Hmm, still trying to make sense of this tbh but I read it differently.

I think we can both agree that optimum SINAD is achieved at 1V and 0dB attenuation but that likely to be very loud. However, if the objective is to reduce the signal voltage by say 10 times, we could divide the digital signal by 10 in a dsp and let it output 0.1V and use 0dB on the volume IC, that would get us 0.002% THD + N...however if we choose instead to keep the DAC output around 1V and attenuate in the volume IC by 10dB (as I believe is the normal way unless something fancy or hybrid is happening) we get around 0.001 % THD + N i.e. half the distortion.

Thats just the start though, now if we choose 0.01V DAC output vs 20dB attenuation we get 0.02% vs 0.003%. Almost an order of magnitude difference. Much better to attenuate than to reduce the incoming signal.

At 3 orders of magnitude the effect is even bigger at 0.001v@0dB = 0.2% vs 1V@-30dB = 0.01%. I read this as favouring use of the volume IC vs lowering the output in the DAC.

That of course is only considering the effect at the volume IC part of the chain. I would expect that a lower signal coming from the DAC would also have a much worse signal to noise ratio than a high signal which IMHO would further reduce SINAD

Last edited:

jpqpi

Yes. I understand what you are saying. I just don't know why it was necessary to change the measurement method for this particular model so that it is not possible to compare the old measurements of the 3800. I am waiting to see how it will be measured in the future.
That is an unfortunate side effect of correcting the method...I wouldn't be overly hard on Amir though as he does a huge amount of work to bring us the facts of how products perform. Maybe a period of time giving both measurements to aid comparison would have been a good idea

ivo.f.doma

That is an unfortunate side effect of correcting the method...I wouldn't be overly hard on Amir though as he does a huge amount of work to bring us the facts of how products perform. Maybe a period of time giving both measurements to aid comparison would have been a good idea
I agree, but unfortunately measurements of old AVRs with the new method are probably no longer possible repeatedly.

jpqpi

I agree, but unfortunately measurements of old AVRs with the new method are probably no longer possible repeatedly.
I actually meant the new ones being tested both ways for a time so that we can compare old with new and also have the more accurate measurement...this could also be confusing though not to mention extra work

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well....not to happy with my 4800 so far. It has had HDMI hand shake issue with my Dish Network Sat receiver and my #1 sub output is not working. Denon had me do a factory reset. This did not work. I am outside the exchange widow so now the unit needs to be sent in for service/replacement. So I have to deal with that.
HDMI handshake is definitely a thing regardless of the AVR - let us know if it continues to be a problem after you get it back. Sometimes it's software sometimes it a bad chip, we just don't know.

Top Bottom