• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry, forgot to pay attention to the rest of the settings. Should be some place in the manual....
Sorry, I appreciate this is not part of your review process.
I had a look through the manual but couldn't seem to find it, but I should maybe have asked an owner directly.

Joffy1780

How many voters in this poll actually have a X4800H?

Just wondering where these votes are coming from in the poll?
Surely you don't think the only votes in these polls come from owners?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I appreciate this is not part of your review process.
I had a look through the manual but couldn't seem to find it, but I should maybe have asked an owner directly.

Yes you can set the center channel to pre out as well. It was mentioned in one of those Masimo video.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What does being an owner have to do with anything? The polls are to show how readers interpret the review's measurements, and whether or not they agree with Amir's interpretation. That's it.

Joffy1780

diddley

Forum Donor
Thank you Amir for a great anticipated review.I am still happy with my 3600 allthough those are different beasts

RF Air

Forum Donor

I have one, you just saw my test results, I have not voted yet. ;)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I did but using the new scheme where I change the volume control rather than digital level.
Alright. Thanks. No 1.4V SINAD kink. Good. But SINAD seems to flatten at around 2V. Any idea when it starts to drop / clip?

Joffy1780

My mistake. Maybe it’s just rate this avr on the above test. Which is ok. Bit cultish though.
Welcome to the forum. As long as you don't drink the Kool-aid you'll be fine.

No, they're basing their vote on the measured performance, as per just about every other review on the site.
I have one, you just saw my test results, I have not voted yet. ;)
I too have this model, and have been invested in the review by Amir. But I’m not going to pile in on a review by Amir to either support or denigrate a product just by a review. That’s the behaviour of a herd.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Brilliant review, as always.
Regards the 'per pair' disabling of amps, how does the centre channel fit into this?
Here you go!!

882BBC31-8B0F-4BDE-8A41-9D6C4DAE09B6.jpeg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Alright. Thanks. No 1.4V SINAD kink. Good. But SINAD seems to flatten at around 2V. Any idea when it starts to drop / clip?
I don't think it is right to push devices with RCA out at higher than 2 volts. Seeing how the amp is off though I suspect it will keep going.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going to put the Denon AVR-X4800H on my recommended list.
So, people should use their brains and understand the review rather than thinking "recommend good, not recommended bad". This post IS NOT a criticism of the recommendation.

That said, I do feel like it's important to note that the amplifier performance of the 4800H is not that much different than the 3800H. The HDMI-in amplifier SINAD is ~84.5dB(3800) vs ~86dB(4800).
index.php

index.php

SNR for the 3800H is actually better than the 4800H. (not clear if this is a valid comparison due to ground loop?)
index.php

index.php

The power difference is minimal with the 3800H at 114W(8 ohm), 135W(4 ohm) both channels driven, and the 4800H at 134W & 175W respectively. This is only about 30% more, which might get you 1dB of extra output?

So, while the DAC SINAD on the 4800H is surprisingly improved a decent amount at 95dB vs 87dB, considering this is distortion-dominated SINAD I can't see how it would be a good choice for anyone who was considering the 3800H to run out and pay the premium for the 4800H.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I too have this model, and have been invested in the review by Amir. But I’m not going to pile in on a review by Amir to either support or denigrate a product just by a review. That’s the behaviour of a herd.
Only a herd if we all vote the same, no?

Perhaps you'd prefer we vote based on how we 'feel' when we listen to it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think it is right to push devices with RCA out at higher than 2 volts. Seeing how the amp is off though I suspect it will keep going.
Why particularly on the rca out being more than 2V?

Top Bottom