• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 209 47.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

G-Can

A followup now that I've incorporated DL (full bandwith) into the 3800:

In order of room correction preference (from "best" to "worst").

1) Pioneer SC-LC701 w/MCACC (prior receiver) - this had the most detail and punch when everything was tuned in.
2) Denon 3800 (current receiver) w/Audyssey calbrated w/$20 app - punch is there but lacking in detail compared to above.
3) Denon 3800 (current receiver) w/Dirac Live Full Bandwith (no DLBC) - lacking in midbass w/the trade-off of more intelligible dialogue and vocals. Musicality appears to be better w/Dirac.

At this point, I'm cutting my losses and refusing to purchase DLBC. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have purchased the RZ70/805 as that would have been closer to the quality in my prior 701 AVR. I was never a SINAD/DAC chaser but I'm starting to believe that my disappointing 3800 performance has to do with a downgrade in hardware. If you see the attached DAC datasheet from my older 701, it did appear to spec better than the current 3800 DAC. :(

If interested in my Dirac curves, you can find them in this thread:

Note that if I wasn't coming from the 701, then the 3800 would have been "good enough". You are definitely getting less for more these days!

if I remember correctly, SC-L701 is another level above where x3800 is situated now.
You get what you pay for. And you would pay a lot back at when SC-L701 came out and is a great receiver.

EWL5

Sorry to hear. I saw your measurements and they look bad, like something is fundamentally flawed bad. Unfortunately I am not using Dirac and therefore couldn’t give you any advice when I saw your thread before. Maybe some of the Dirac experts like @peng or others can have a look and help you.

Because I doubt that the DL default performance is that bad otherwise I wouldn’t understand all the hype about it. Here is someone with much much better DL performance for example
Post in thread 'Great room measurement but should I change Dirac's bass roll-off?'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...hange-diracs-bass-roll-off.50866/post-1829929

I hope you find some good advice to your problems.

I am using 3700 with MultiEQX and if you know the software you can get great results .
Appreciate your candor and advice!

Dirac Live is not a horrible product. It just seems wholly unnecessary because MCACC and Audyssey exists (especially for non-DIYers/tinkerers like me)! If it really needs the purchase of DLBC to sound complete, then color me fooled once but never again!

EWL5

if I remember correctly, SC-L701 is another level above where x3800 is situated now.
You get what you pay for. And you would pay a lot back at when SC-L701 came out and is a great receiver.
I paid around $1500 in 2018 USD = $1834 (2023 equivalent).

The RZ70 is probably equivalent but so much more expensive!

G-Can

I paid around $1500 in 2018 USD = $1834 (2023 equivalent).

The RZ70 is probably equivalent but so much more expensive!
yeah, x3800 is not even close to that cost today, even with all the price gouging.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
As we should know by now. Price is the worst indicator for performance. The 3800 is fine, see this review. There is just something off with the Dirac setup.

G-Can

As we should know by now. Price is the worst indicator for performance. The 3800 is fine, see this review. There is just something off with the Dirac setup.
Price might not be main indicator, but sure heck is a good start to know what you are getting into.
This Dirac/audyseyy is constantly brought up and we can come to conclusion they are enough flawed in one way or another.

People should enjoy their movies/shows, instead of analyzing everything and expect something that they even don't know what they want.

And not to mention all kinds of combos of speakers, sub positions, and especially room acoustics which all can make or break the sound.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
This thread covered a lot and the members really want in depth with both product and hardware. I think if the 3800 had the AKM Dac this is the product of the year. It offers a ton of flexibility at an excellent price for the market. Amir's logic that downgrading the internals was not something he could stand for made sense to me. Peng really helped me see the measurement differences and that the Masimo engineers did a great job with the TI dacs with this unit. When I woke up this morning and it had Dirac live offering on my 3800 menu..that was cool!! Though it's expensive, there was a time when this didn't seem like it would ever happen. I argued with Gene form Audioholics publicly on his YouTube channel when he asked why I could possibly want Denon to get Dirac? He obviously is spouting a different tune these days. Dirac may not give the user the breakthrough they have been looking for in sound correction, but it's getting there and gives the enthusiast a lot of tools to try to get the best performance out of thier product. I tried the last version of Integra and Pioneer products that had Dirac..I was not a fan of the avrs. The Integra felt cheap for a 1700 dollar amp. The Pioneer wouldn't let you set individual crossovers on the speakers. I think maybe they were done on pairs and at 80, 100, etc. The R70 looks like the audiophile product made for this audience ..but for not the 3800 is one of the most advanced avrs in the market to my knowledge.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Price might not be main indicator, but sure heck is a good start to know what you are getting into.
This Dirac/audyseyy is constantly brought up and we can come to conclusion they are enough flawed in one way or another.

People should enjoy their movies/shows, instead of analyzing everything and expect something that they even don't know what they want.

And not to mention all kinds of combos of speakers, sub positions, and especially room acoustics which all can make or break the sound.
Do you understand room correction?

Sure if not, nobody is forced to do it.

It certainly works great for me.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those frustrated with Dirac, I’d strongly recommend Audyssey MQX. I went from Dirac to that and had a much smoother user experience and I like the result better. They allow the import of REW filters which gives a very consistent response.

I’m like that D&M offers both. Once ART comes out, I’ll upgrade my 4700 to an X800 series or AV10 and give that a shot.

ART appears to offer something truly beyond anything available and provides real utility in solving an issue that is nearly impossible to solve in small room acoustics.

I can always fallback and just use MQX if Dirac is bugged out

Abajams

I went to buy open box RZ 50 Excl. condition for $791 end up buying new Denon X3800h for $1150 for its features. I have 2008 Onkyo 7.1, Klipsch RP280s(FR,FL) and RP 450(C), R40Ms and R50M surrounds.
Crossover 80HZ THX all.
First day: setup Audyssey using three seating positions, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume off, results: terrible sounded as toy receiver compared to my 16 years old Onkyo, no way going back.
Second day calibration using free Audyssey: used mid chair boundaries' only turned on dynamicEQ, DynamicVol., ECO off, started to like it.
Results: Front and center speakers was set full range crossovers, others to 60HZ by Audyssey, distances looks good, sound level more balanced, it is working.

Comparison: Onkyo has richer sound and joy to listen to music. But, X3800h getting close with Dyn.EQ & Vol. on, articulation much easier to understand than onkyo (no sub anymore), channel separation better, Auro3D is a joy for music room is filled out with nice channel separation, Dynamic vol. set to mid level made human voice close to natural (90%) which sounds like cheap radio voice without it.

I think I will keep it as it is future proof but Denon should have done a better job

Smitty2k1

I went to buy open box RZ 50 Excl. condition for $791 end up buying new Denon X3800h for $1150 for its features. I have 2008 Onkyo 7.1, Klipsch RP280s(FR,FL) and RP 450(C), R40Ms and R50M surrounds.
Crossover 80HZ THX all.
First day: setup Audyssey using three seating positions, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume off, results: terrible sounded as toy receiver compared to my 16 years old Onkyo, no way going back.
Second day calibration using free Audyssey: used mid chair boundaries' only turned on dynamicEQ, DynamicVol., ECO off, started to like it.
Results: Front and center speakers was set full range crossovers, others to 60HZ by Audyssey, distances looks good, sound level more balanced, it is working.

Comparison: Onkyo has richer sound and joy to listen to music. But, X3800h getting close with Dyn.EQ & Vol. on, articulation much easier to understand than onkyo (no sub anymore), channel separation better, Auro3D is a joy for music room is filled out with nice channel separation, Dynamic vol. set to mid level made human voice close to natural (90%) which sounds like cheap radio voice without it.

I think I will keep it as it is future proof but Denon should have done a better job
I think you should ready up on Audyssey, several threads here and AVS Forum. Unfortunately it seems to be more of an "art" rather than a science when it comes to taking your measurements and adjusting Audyssey settings. Also invest in the $20 phone app or $200 computer program for maximum flexibility and fine tuning.

Abajams

I think you should ready up on Audyssey, several threads here and AVS Forum. Unfortunately it seems to be more of an "art" rather than a science when it comes to taking your measurements and adjusting Audyssey settings. Also invest in the $20 phone app or $200 computer program for maximum flexibility and fine tuning.
Mobile App definitely an improvement over installed one and worth the money. Resulted in some changes to surround crossovers; now, flow btw speakers easy and smooth, channel separation & distribution better, voices natural, dialogue even more clear. Happy with choice.

Thanks for all feedbacks.

irishsound3

idk if this is the right forum to complain about this new 3800 but my AVR-3312CI started cutting off my hdmi signal a year ago and I couldn't fix it with new cables or using different inputs so I figured it had its day and switched to tv speakers for a while (busy life).

Just bought 3800 for $1150 at BB and expected great things from a new $1700 retail receiver, but I want my old one back.

I went through the Audyssey setup, it told me to set my sub to 30% volume, around 75db so I did, but then it acted like it didn't hear the sub at all because after the 8 position testing, I didn't have subwoofer controls. I found under Options- Channel Level- and could do LCR+SR but no sub settings. Did it decide I don't have one?

In my old AVR, I could set LFE or LFE+Main. I could set crossover freq for each speaker. I could set speakers to small or large. Can't find any of that in new setup. Options are grayed out and I dont know how to access them.

I had an Aux HDMI input on the front of the 3312, loved that for gaming or quick hookups without having to pull out my entire cabinet from the wall.

I didn't find one thing I liked better. I have 58 more days to read the manual, like it, or return it.

EWL5

idk if this is the right forum to complain about this new 3800 but my AVR-3312CI started cutting off my hdmi signal a year ago and I couldn't fix it with new cables or using different inputs so I figured it had its day and switched to tv speakers for a while (busy life).

Just bought 3800 for $1150 at BB and expected great things from a new $1700 retail receiver, but I want my old one back.

I went through the Audyssey setup, it told me to set my sub to 30% volume, around 75db so I did, but then it acted like it didn't hear the sub at all because after the 8 position testing, I didn't have subwoofer controls. I found under Options- Channel Level- and could do LCR+SR but no sub settings. Did it decide I don't have one?

In my old AVR, I could set LFE or LFE+Main. I could set crossover freq for each speaker. I could set speakers to small or large. Can't find any of that in new setup. Options are grayed out and I dont know how to access them.

I had an Aux HDMI input on the front of the 3312, loved that for gaming or quick hookups without having to pull out my entire cabinet from the wall.

I didn't find one thing I liked better. I have 58 more days to read the manual, like it, or return it.
You can either:

1) Purchase the $20 Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, disable MidRange Compensation, and calibrate again.

2) Return the 3800 for an RZ50. Not many choices in this price range. You get way less AVR quality for the same amount of money from the old days!

I suggest you do #1 first before making a final decision.

Abajams

You can either:

1) Purchase the $20 Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, disable MidRange Compensation, and calibrate again.

2) Return the 3800 for an RZ50. Not many choices in this price range. You get way less AVR quality for the same amount of money from the old days!

I suggest you do #1 first before making a final decision.
I got the app. will repeat it with dynamic vol. off, see what happens. Package wise might be better than RZ50, sound wise, it might be D&M signature sound, I think pops up better with Auro3D music than with movies (DD, DAtmos).
Thanks

Abajams

out of box there are some glitches, mine missed center during repeat calibration later was ok, takes 2-3 days to open up. you can change crossover, not sure about speakers

EWL5

I got the app. will repeat it with dynamic vol. off, see what happens. Package wise might be better than RZ50, sound wise, it might be D&M signature sound, I think pops up better with Auro3D music than with movies (DD, DAtmos).
Thanks
Many folks like the DynamicEQ, even when it's not night time when you need it most. Give it a try on or off and see if you like it!

Top Bottom