• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sarveshks

Hi All. I’m planning on setting up a HT/2.1 for my new place and have spent hours learning about what to do on ASR. What an excellent resource!

My HT/listening area will be 18ft W and 13ft L. The TV/speakers will be ~13ft from sitting area. This is one end of an open concept room which is 29ft W x 42ft L.

From my research, the best LR speakers in <$2k price range seem to be the Sierra LX or Linton 85th Anniversary so I’m thinking of using one of these as my speakers.

I plan on using the Denon x3800H as my AVR despite it being worse than the 3700 apparently.

Now my question is for the 2.1 setup should I use an integrated amp with HT bypass ($1000-$1500 budget) like Arcam SA20, Peachtree Nova150, NAD C368 with a WIIM Pro Plus as music source and if so which one or is there a better option or is the Denon sufficient?

Second question is rather than an integrated amp, should I use a DAC and power amp like a topping L90? This is where I am most out of my depth as I wouldn’t even know how to connect the Denon to this alternative setup.

Overall, I’m trying to optimize my money to get best HT and HiFi experience for my budget with some measure of convenience / simplicity where I don’t have do work to switch between HT and 2.1.

Last, I won’t have the ability to demo any of the components other than maybe listening at a dealer.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Flexecutioner

I plan on using the Denon x3800H as my AVR despite it being worse than the 3700 apparently.

Now my question is for the 2.1 setup should I use an integrated amp with HT bypass ($1000-$1500 budget) like Arcam SA20, Peachtree Nova150, NAD C368 with a WIIM Pro Plus as music source and if so which one or is there a better option or is the Denon sufficient?

Overall, I’m trying to optimize my money to get best HT and HiFi experience for my budget with some measure of convenience / simplicity where I don’t have do work to switch between HT and 2.1.
Skip any additional upstream components. The 3800 is fine for both use cases. Put that money towards a second subwoofer and/or better speakers.

OP
S

Sarveshks

Got it. Am thinking save the money on upstream components and get the Revel F206 instead?

Also the Denon x3800H wasn’t reviewed very highly on ASR. Should I get the x4800H instead. And will either one of these suffice for the Revel F206 speakers?

Flexecutioner

The F206 is a great speaker. And suffice how? In terms of power I don't think you'll notice a difference. Pick one based on the features you need and budget for the Dirac upgrades. Add a couple of decent subs and be done. If you really need more power, something like a Hypex NCx500 is easy to incorporate down the road.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sarveshks

Cool. Thanks so much. I meant suffice as in both power and audio quality…the amp will allow the F206 to sing as it was meant to.

Flexecutioner

The power difference won't be noticeable, especially crossing over to subwoofers. There's plenty of discussion regarding their measurements already. You'll need to make that price/performance decision yourself based on budget.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Highly doubtful you could audibly determine the measured difference in the Denons. The 3800 has a better feature set than the 3700. The avrs have much better feature sets than the other gear mentioned, particularly for sub integration and eq possibilities. You can always add an amp later. I've a variety of Ascend speakers, so I'd tend to lean that way but Revel could be interesting as well....I've never seen or heard a Wharfedale speaker tho.

Flexecutioner

I've a variety of Ascend speakers, so I'd tend to lean that way but Revel could be interesting as well....I've never seen or heard a Wharfedale speaker tho.
Fwiw I also own Ascend speakers, specifically the V1 towers, and I'd never not recommend them, but for a 29' x 42' listening space, the Revel towers might be a better option than Ascend bookshelves.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fwiw I also own Ascend speakers, specifically the V1 towers, and I'd never not recommend them, but for a 29' x 42' listening space, the Revel towers might be a better option than Ascend bookshelves.
Still, your listening distance sounds reasonable, altho I'd prefer towers in a larger space like yours (and generally being more sensitive will make your amp go further). Will you be able to place the sub nearfield?

OP
S

Sarveshks

Still, your listening distance sounds reasonable, altho I'd prefer towers in a larger space like yours (and generally being more sensitive will make your amp go further). Will you be able to place the sub nearfield?
I just wanted to close the loop on this as I placed the order today.

1. I ended up with Revel F206, C208, and M105
2. Denon x4800H
3. WIIM pro plus
4. Pair of SVS SB2000 Pro subs

I was really torn between Ascend Sierra 2 and the Revel F206, especially since Ascend customer service is so good. But, ended up choosing F206 given it seemed to be better reviewed on ASR.

I have loved learning about all of this on ASR and really appreciate all of your thoughts.

Many thanks.

Top Bottom