• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 208 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

Dulcow

Hi there,

I was supposed to go for a second hand X4700H but my seller decided to give it to someone else... The X3800H seems to be on my list of interests now then.

Any good deal in Europe?

Thanks,

D.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't read the whole thread but despite that the unit doesn't measure great in comparison with the introduction price (you should get more for that money). The price is much lower now.
Payed €700 for a X2700h (no hdmi bug model) a year ago and doubting to upgrade to a x3800h for better Audyssey and the possibility of Dirac.
The price of the X3800h dropped from €1699 to €950.
So it sounds like a good deal for me where I use it just in my living room.
What do you guys think of the price in comparison with the performance of the x3800h.
I think that is a great price to be honest, although I haven't used or heard the X3800. I have a 3600 and think it is brilliant value for money, I have not had one issue with it so far. If I was looking for a new AVR I would definitely be going for the 3800, especially at that price.
Are you not happy with your 2700?

Joffy1780

Hi there,

I was supposed to go for a second hand X4700H but my seller decided to give it to someone else... The X3800H seems to be on my list of interests now then.

Any good deal in Europe?

Thanks,

D.
See the post previous to yours.

OpticonPrime

I think that is a great price to be honest, although I haven't used or heard the X3800. I have a 3600 and think it is brilliant value for money, I have not had one issue with it so far. If I was looking for a new AVR I would definitely be going for the 3800, especially at that price.
Are you not happy with your 2700?

Yes i am happy with my x2700h. But i want to upgrade to Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 or Dirac.
Also the possibility to redirect specific speakers to another amp is a welcome feature. Another option is to be happy with it for another 1-2 years, when the new Denon receivers are out and dropped in price a little bit.

Joffy1780

Yes i am happy with my x2700h. But i want to upgrade to Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 or Dirac.
Also the possibility to redirect specific speakers to another amp is a welcome feature. Another option is to be happy with it for another 1-2 years, when the new Denon receivers are out and dropped in price a little bit.
I didn't realise the x2700 didn't have Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. That does give you a lot more options to tailor the sound to your taste. Considering the difference in price between your x2700 and the x3800 it does seem to be really good value.

OpticonPrime

@OpticonPrime probably means refurbished open box units. 1200 euro is where it's at in the benelux for new units from what i know

Why do you think I am not honest about the price?
Bought a brand new one, sealed, I checked the tape and how it was packaged. Not refurbished, no demo, brand new.
A lot of shops in the Netherlands are selling the units for this price. Only not on their websites, you must ask them for a special offer. Sometimes there are sellers who say "lowest price guarantee or 5% less then what others offer.

You also see a discount on te previous models, but i think they are selling out and they got less in stock. So the "new" models are selling more and the prices are dropping. Maybe because they weren't selling hard enough, prices get lower. Who knows?
Check prices here:

Brambo67

Two-and-a-half years ago I bought my 3700 for 800 something euros after calling the lowest webshop and ask for a special deal. One year later after having problems with it I upgraded to the 4700. Again asked for the best price. Now I'm very happy with my 4700 especially since I spent so little on it. So; just call and ask. We're moving into a buyers market again...

Monosauras

Hey guys,

just want to get this straight price wise.

To get the full Dirac experience for multi subs next year I'll be looking at:
Room Correction Full Bandwidth $349 USD
Bass Control Multi Sub $499 USD (assuming the price remains consistent)

So effectively an extra $848 USD?

Thanks

napfkuchen

Most likely not. DLBC will be an upgrade costing marginally more than the price difference between these two options. Similar to the current situation where an upgrade from the limited bandwidth to full bandwidth version is 10 $ / € more expensive than the full bandwidth standalone.

Hobolicious

Hey guys,

Thanks
Correct if you buy the two as separate products. Packaged together it is around $50 cheaper. Here is a screenshot from the Massimo Consumer Training:

IMG_1278.png

napfkuchen

Wow, didn't think they are so out of this world with their pricing. This means a top spec Dirac upgrade will be nearly as expensive as the base unit considering the recent price drop.
I bought the Dirac live full bandwidth and it is a decent upgrade over audessey with an already steep price increase. That will put off a lot of interested customers (including me).

DrStranger

Correct if you buy the two as separate products. Packaged together it is around $50 cheaper. Here is a screenshot from the Massimo Consumer Training:

View attachment 285242
This is insane... I said it before and I'll say it again, dont let DIRAC be the showstopper when purchasing an AVR... and if it is, consider a model that allready has this, atleast the "starting package"...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
LOL!

I literally let out a gut laugh at that chart.

We acknowledge that Dirac are the industry leaders but like how Mercedes are the automotive industry leaders (sort of???) then these guys will try to leverage piecemeal whatever cruft they are selling... and so Mercedes will sell you park assist and advanced acceleration for a fee...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hey guys,

Thanks
Yes

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL!

I literally let out a gut laugh at that chart.

We acknowledge that Dirac are the industry leaders but like how Mercedes are the automotive industry leaders (sort of???) then these guys will try to leverage piecemeal whatever cruft they are selling... and so Mercedes will sell you park assist and advanced acceleration for a fee...

That's quite typical in this hobby. To get that last 10 to 20% of expected performance, one has to pay much more...marketing people know the related psychology very well.

tesseractASR

I love Dirac, but am happy to just roll with Audyssey w/curtains that finally has hardware support for 4 subs, as the software has allowed for many years now. That could change, but I don't feel a pressing need at this time. MultEQ-X is another cost-effective option.

Top Bottom