• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon 2023 range X3900H/X4900H/X6800H announcement....!!??

I’ve heard the 4800 in a store, while I was trying new monitor audio speakers, and I thought it was a very good receiver overall. I used it with the pre-outs and external amplification (to recreate my home setup). That’s the moment I saw the A1H. A beast, but too heavy for my back, probably for any normal human being who is not a body builder and doesn’t have a pro rack.

Since I’m considering the Marantz AMP10, it would make sense to upgrade to the AV10, and not to another denon, even though it’s just to match the amp and the price difference won’t translate in audible benefits. I truly love the Denon AVRs, and they have been so reliable over the years, and this is important to consider together with good measurements. Reliability is key for me.

Afaik, the 4800h is on it ;)
yes gave it a solid thought, but couldn't justify the price increase.

with the saved amount I bought 2 pairs of bookshelves matching my 5.1 so now have a 9.1 setup ready for a Auro3D layout.

came very close many times to buy the x3800 but armins reviews plays havoc in my head. waiting on the x3900.(fingers crossed AKM DAC)

Yeah, I have a feeling that this one could be the sweetspot to get most of the performance without spending a ridiculous amount of money for the flaggship big boys.
I could be wrong though and we only get a slightly beefed up 4800 - it all depends on the price as well of course...

I can only say good things about my 4400h as well - great AVR. I'm actually a little afraid of uprading it since it works so well:rolleyes::p A part of me thinks, I should use it until it dies or until I really need a feature it doesn't have...
The only issues I had with it, was that 2-3 times the internet connection (via Wifi) was lost and I had to put in the password again (which I admit is quite cumbersome via a TV-remote) and Denon's remote and Audyssey apps having some connection issues (which is more of a problem of the apps though and not the AVR) - otherwise it was pretty much smooth sailing all around - even the ARC and HDMI-CEC always worked like a charm.

The best part of it was of course that I got it for only 500 bucks on the second hand market around 3 years ago - man the prices of these things went up big time...:rolleyes:

Yeah heavy AV-stuff is a real PITA if you have to move them... I live in an apartement, so I know that I will move again which is why I refrain of buying too big and heavy things as well (subwoofers are the biggest - pun intended:p - offenders in that regard).
Yeah i bought a 4400 and it was 800 at the tnime. I think i was more intrested because of the dac Denon had lost akm due to fire then. This Denon gives me everything i need to watch 4k content and play hi fi over the HEOS. The next ugrde 2.1 and 120hz

Last edited:
I'm very cusious to see the inside of the 6800. Let's hope it's a substantial upgrade compared to the 4800...

I'm very cusious to see the inside of the 6800. Let's hope it's a substantial upgrade compared to the 4800...

The only faint hope I have is they might, just might and only because they know us on ASR are watching like hawks;), replace the backward DAC IC, the PCM5102A with at least something like the ES9010K2M, or the PCM1795 (they used that before on the AVR-4520), if they want to stay with TI. Other than that, it is likely just a stripped down A1H, just like the 6700 vs the 8500, that means same power amp section (obviously 13 channels vs 15) but much smaller power supply, skinier heatshinks, no metal plates etc, but otherwise very similar.

Also if I bought now and then they release in Oct 2023 with a dac of Sinad 97 again for eg I might be a bit upset.
I'd trade my 4700 with higher SINAD for a lower SINAD 3800 any day. I'd like to have the option of Dirac. I love Audyssey and came from Dirac but I'd love to run them side-by-side.

Reactions: phn
This looks solid. I'm waiting to see what will support Dirac ART but if this does, it looks like I may get it. Otherwise, a Marantz AV10. I want the option to keep Audyssey if possible. Otherwise, I'd get an HTP-1 or Storm ISP-16

@PHD have you heard about what models may support ART?
Any model starting from X3800H that supports Dirac should get ART support eventually. At the moment, it seems that Denon is planning on officially announcing that ART support is coming by FW upgrade once the X6800H becomes available for pre-order.

Any model starting from X3800H that supports Dirac should get ART support eventually.
What about loudness for Dirac? I like Dynamic EQ in Audyssey.

Anyone see any appreciable differences between the Marantz AV10 and the Denon 6800?

Back
Top Bottom