• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon 2023 range X3900H/X4900H/X6800H announcement....!!??

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
360 or not, wouldn't the AVR-X6700H be unbeatable for the Black Friday deal? Wonder if the Denon site's been hacked as the deal seems too good to be true!

For <$2,000, I am having hard time not buying one just as a standby unit.:D And while standing by, I can use it in one of my 2 channel system, what to do...

The Canadian deal (C$1,899) is even better, much better, for once!

jbattman1016

360 or not, wouldn't the AVR-X6700H be unbeatable for the Black Friday deal? Wonder if the Denon site's been hacked as the deal seems too good to be true!

For <$2,000, I am having hard time not buying one just as a standby unit.:D And while standing by, I can use it in one of my 2 channel system, what to do...

The Canadian deal (C$1,899) is even better, much better, for once!
If you have a need for it go for it, but maybe get a second sub instead?

DrStranger

Something is going on, the Denons are dropping in price, in some countries in Europe, a lot in some, minor in others. Do we smell the next gen coming or have their production cost returned to normal, maybe?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something is going on, the Denons are dropping in price, in some countries in Europe, a lot in some, minor in others. Do we smell the next gen coming or have their production cost returned to normal, maybe?
Black Week ?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
After some Massimo shareholders arked up about margins in audio being too low, they came into the market with all the margins raise by 25%+...

Perhaps reality has bitten, and they are dropping the "street prices" to where they should have been in the first place?

DrStranger

After some Massimo shareholders arked up about margins in audio being too low, they came into the market with all the margins raise by 25%+...

Perhaps reality has bitten, and they are dropping the "street prices" to where they should have been in the first place?
Ok, didn’t know about that,

I hope the price drop is something we will see on all brands, the prices we see now are just wrong, really wrong.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Denon's parent company MASI stock down from 196 to 88.39 in last 6 months. The company may not exist a year from now. Who wants to make a large investment in an AVR when the company is financially unstable?
Seriously!

fzst

Now that the 6800h is out, do we know if there is actually anything different compared to the 4800h besides two extra channels and a slightly more beefed up PSU?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the 6800h is out, do we know if there is actually anything different compared to the 4800h besides two extra channels and a slightly more beefed up PSU?
I hate to bring the DAC thing up again as people may be getting tired of it, but there might be a difference in dac chips used, though at this point there isn't official words from Denon, who might have chosen to keep it secret, for now. The latest info based on a couple of European dealers (posted elsewhere the other day) indicated it uses a premium (not reference) class ESS chip but there has been no official words from Denon. I am skeptical on this as they surely know lots of forum talks on their downgrading the chip used before the pandemic, so if they are now using an even better one, why wouldn't they tell the world? Other than that, from what I can see, yeah, besides two extra channels there is nothing to write home about. The beefier PS is trivial, amount to nothing really, they even kept the block capacitors to the same 15,000 uF, 71 V ones, same as those in the 4800, that's disappointing as I was hoping for at least 20,000 uF. For a real beefier PS, we will have to wait for the Marantz version, something like a SR8016 but probably for $1,000=$1,500 more, less in Europe.:(

fzst

I hate to bring the DAC thing up again as people may be getting tired of it, but there might be a difference in dac chips used, though at this point there isn't official words from Denon, who might have chosen to keep it secret, for now. The latest info based on a couple of European dealers (posted elsewhere the other day) indicated it uses a premium (not reference) class ESS chip but there has been no official words from Denon. I am skeptical on this as they surely know lots of forum talks on their downgrading the chip used before the pandemic, so if they are now using an even better one, why wouldn't they tell the world? Other than that, from what I can see, yeah, besides two extra channels there is nothing to write home about. The beefier PS is trivial, amount to nothing really, they even kept the block capacitors to the same 15,000 uF, 71 V ones, same as those in the 4800, that's disappointing as I was hoping for at least 20,000 uF. For a real beefier PS, we will have to wait for the Marantz version, something like a SR8016 but probably for $1,000=$1,500 more, less in Europe.:(
That's what I thought as well... looking at the internals it looks pretty much exactly the same as the 4800...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I thought as well... looking at the internals it looks pretty much exactly the same as the 4800...

Again, if the use of the ES9017S dac chip is confirmed, for Euro 3,499, I would then consider it a great alternative to the likes of the Anthem AVM70, even the 90, as it does have 4 independent subouts, as long as 13 channels is all one ever needs. The only weak link (on paper, ignoring the channel counts) of the 4800 (and the C40 on the Marantz side) is the dac chip. We need someone to do yet another teardown and take photos of the chips used lol..

Dovydas

Can they both disconnect internal amps for individual channels when using as pre-outs? I've heard 6800 can do that, what about 4800? 6700 was either L/R, all or nothing.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can they both disconnect internal amps for individual channels when using as pre-outs? I've heard 6800 can do that, what about 4800? 6700 was either L/R, all or nothing.
The 3800 through A1H have the individual channel pairs/center channel disconnect options.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, if the use of the ES9017S dac chip is confirmed, for Euro 3,499, I would then consider it a great alternative to the likes of the Anthem AVM70, even the 90, as it does have 4 independent subouts, as long as 13 channels is all one ever needs. The only weak link (on paper, ignoring the channel counts) of the 4800 (and the C40 on the Marantz side) is the dac chip. We need someone to do yet another teardown and take photos of the chips used lol..

Do you think the new DAC chip will lead to a significant measurable improvement? I had the impression their analog preamp and power amp section in the AVR are the bottleneck for significant SINAD improvement. I might be wrong though, that’s why I am asking. Or are there other improvements to be had? (higher DSP rate?)

Tanquen

Don't you need fancy equipment to do a bench test to be able to tell the difference between an extra few watts and a different DAC? I just swapped the X6500H for the X6800H and I can't tell any difference. It seems a little buggy at the moment. The volume levels are changing after turning it on this morning, it's a bit louder than it was the last night and it's set to keep the same level. Also, it doesn't like my gaming PC. Haven't figured out what's going on yet, but the audio keeps cutting out every 10-15 seconds and the AVR is the only thing that changed. I'm not sure if there will be a setting to fix the random audio drops.

I noticed they have a new HDMI enhanced setting. It's currently set to the default to 4K and I had thought it was mostly bandwidth related but now they have an 8k setting and I thought that had the same bandwidth and everything is 4k. Like 4k 60 hertz uses less bandwidth and 8K 60 Hertz. But for the gaming PC, I'm using 4k 120 Hertz that's going to be close to the 48 GPBPS bandwidth max. So what is the 8k setting doing?

I'd have to watch a movie with a really good soundtrack and then be able to switch the AVRs back and forth, even then I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. Over the last 30 years, I've never been blown away by simply swapping out the AVR. I've only upgraded to get extra channels, to get HDMI connections or 4K HDMI connections that end up not working etc.

I have not done the room correction yet but then I'll be able to switch between and maybe see if I can tell a difference, I hope. How fast can you switch between the saved presets? I guess now there's two for each brand of room correction?

On the one hand, it's a $3500 AVR ( $4500 with all the licenses. :( ) and I would like it to have quality components. If there's a $10 DAC and a $50 DAC I think it should have the $50 one. But on the other hand, if it's only going to change a number on a cut sheet from 106 to 102, does it really matter? My biggest sound quality concern is not having any buzz or hum when it's muted or during low volume, no cracks are pops or static etc, or random audio dropouts when all the other equipments the same. I hope I don't have to send it back.

Last edited:

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
8k can either mean 8k@60Hz or 4k@120Hz.

Over here there is zero content with actual 8k resolution, however, an 8k capable receiver is still desirable because it allows 4k@120Hz gaming. You need to use the 8k enhanced mode for this to work.

With any HDMI problems (such as audio drop out) the first thing to do is to check the cable. Apparently the X6800 has some pretty advanced HDMI test capabilities built in.

Last edited:

jbattman1016

Don't you need fancy equipment to do a bench test to be able to tell the difference between an extra few watts and a different DAC? I just swapped the X6500H for the X6800H and I can't tell any difference. It seems a little buggy at the moment. The volume levels are changing after turning it on this morning, it's a bit louder than it was the last night and it's set to keep the same level. Also, it doesn't like my gaming PC. Haven't figured out what's going on yet, but the audio keeps cutting out every 10-15 seconds and the AVR is the only thing that changed. I'm not sure if there will be a setting to fix the random audio drops.

I noticed they have a new HDMI enhanced setting. It's currently set to the default to 4K and I had thought it was mostly bandwidth related but now they have an 8k setting and I thought that had the same bandwidth and everything is 4k. Like 4k 60 hertz uses less bandwidth and 8K 60 Hertz. But for the gaming PC, I'm using 4k 120 Hertz that's going to be close to the 48 GPBPS bandwidth max. So what is the 8k setting doing?

I'd have to watch a movie with a really good soundtrack and then be able to switch the AVRs back and forth, even then I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. Over the last 30 years, I've never been blown away by simply swapping out the AVR. I've only upgraded to get extra channels, to get HDMI connections or 4K HDMI connections that end up not working etc.

I have not done the room correction yet but then I'll be able to switch between and maybe see if I can tell a difference, I hope. How fast can you switch between the saved presets? I guess now there's two for each brand of room correction?

On the one hand, it's a $3500 AVR and I would like it to have quality components. If there's a $10 DAC and a $50 DAC I think it should have the $50 one. But on the other hand, if it's only going to change a number on a cut sheet from 106 to 102, does it really matter? My biggest sound quality concern is not having any buzz or hum when it's muted or during low volume, no cracks are pops or static etc, or random audio dropouts when all the other equipments the same. I hope I don't have to send it back.

Did you upgrade for more channels or better video support?

Top Bottom