• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 17.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.2%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You could say that for any speaker or headphone in contrary to the measurements, but it doesn't carry much weight. I'm not saying the HD800(s) is a bad headphone, far from it, just bass is it's most obvious weakness (after EQ).
So, do you own a pair or have you ever tried it? On your profile you put the AKG K702, HD 560, HD 600 and Hifiman HE4Xx, which are all nice but clearly inferior headphones. If you are just judging by the measurements then you should be careful as these convey on headphones much less then on amps or DACs. I take your comment as a rather superficial judgement that doesn't carry much weight. If the bass after EQ is a weakess, I would like to have more of this weakness please.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, do you own a pair or have you ever tried it? On your profile you put the AKG K702, HD 560, HD 600 and Hifiman HE4Xx, which are all nice but clearly inferior headphones. If you are just judging by the measurements then you should be careful as these convey on headphones much less then on amps or DACs. I take your comment as a rather superficial judgement that doesn't carry much weight. If the bass after EQ is a weakess, I would like to have more of this weakness please.

I have, and it's true. HD800 bass is laughable compared to almost anything by DCA *if you supply adequate power*. If you enjoy the 800S, then who cares. I like it quite a bit myself but have no use for open backs. At that price point I'd be looking at Denon 9200 which has no shortage of bass

On a similar note, I'm starting to wonder how hard it is to create a bot that requires one to input the amp/DAC used whenever someone mentions 'slam' in a DCA thread...

Dealux

When the FR of the bass is on the target curve, which presumable is the case with proper EQ, then it should be right. I don't really believe in soft or punchy bass besides the FR, i.e. that there is such a thing as "planar bass" or anything like it. The HD 800 even has a DD, so according to that belief the bass should be quite impactful.
In order to have a significant/physical sensation of bass impact, the air volume between the driver and your ear has to be fixed. Even a small amount of leakage will decrease the sense of impact because the driver can't physically push a large amount of air. It also doesn't help that the HD800's driver resonates at around 100 Hz and thus is less proficient at reproducing frequencies below that point.

You can see on oratory's graphs that even with EQ, there's still roll off to 10 Hz. Most of the Audeze planars have no such roll off. The LCD-2 with a Harman bass shelf had a much thicker bass response. The HD800 with the same bass shelf sounds thinner in the bass.

I wouldn't say that's the biggest issue really. I could live with thin bass if its treble response wasn't so messed up. It simply does not sound right no matter how much EQ you add to it. It sounds very plasticky/artificial.

Last edited:

okok

When the FR of the bass is on the target curve, which presumable is the case with proper EQ, then it should be right. I don't really believe in soft or punchy bass besides the FR

everything will sound the same as long as FR is the same

or not

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HD560s, not HD560. Don't start coming out with even more stuff that you can't substantiate - ie the headphones in my sig "clearly inferior" to an HD800s, the HD560s actually measures better for instance. Nope, I've never tried the HD800s, and remember, I didn't say the HD800s was a bad headphone, I was just saying that the bass is "inferior" (to use your word) to a fair few headphones in terms of it's distortion measurements - I'm just stating facts. I only brought it up initially because you implied in one of your posts that HD800(s) was low distortion in the bass. I'd quite like to try the HD800s for it's lauded soundstage abilities, that's it's main draw.

JanesJr1

Yes same brand but I have their entry level one (Forge 32/300 ohm version) which is way more than enough to power the Aeons. Dan Clark is using the most powerful version of it and is configured in true dual mono rather than stereo.
Big Iron!

Dealux

HD560s, not HD560. Don't start coming out with even more stuff that you can't substantiate - ie the headphones in my sig "clearly inferior" to an HD800s, the HD560s actually measures better for instance. Nope, I've never tried the HD800s, and remember, I didn't say the HD800s was a bad headphone, I was just saying that the bass is "inferior" (to use your word) to a fair few headphones in terms of it's distortion measurements - I'm just stating facts. I only brought it up initially because you implied in one of your posts that HD800(s) was low distortion in the bass. I'd quite like to try the HD800s for it's lauded soundstage abilities, that's it's main draw.
The HD800 has an interesting gimmick which is the artificially enhanced sound stage. It almost sounds like what you get if you set two speakers too wide apart, but in headphone terms. It's an interesting quirk but there are drawbacks for sure. Imaging or clarity isn't as precise as it could be for one thing.

Adi777

What about AKG K1000? Not bigger soundstage vs Sennheiser HD800?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser_Surrounder.jpg

Garrincha

The HD800 has an interesting gimmick which is the artificially enhanced sound stage. It almost sounds like what you get if you set two speakers too wide apart, but in headphone terms. It's an interesting quirk but there are drawbacks for sure. Imaging or clarity isn't as precise as it could be for one thing.
Seriously, clarity isn't precise? What is clarity except FR? Use EQ. And I can't see how imaging shouldn't be excellent as well. The soundsatge is not a quirk or a gimmick, but a quality that brings the listener closer to the loudspeaker or even live listening experience. How should that not be desirable? I personally find it a pitty and a shame that apparently no other headphone came up with something comparable yet. The HD 800 came out in 2009, there was a lot of time to research.

Garrincha

HD 560s or 560, whatever. I don't know in which respect you state that it measures better than the HD800, maybe in distortion? If you mean FR, than yes, before EQ the 5560s adheres better to the Harman curve, but after EQ (this is what counts for me), the HD800 (S) has a better rating according to the data of oratory. So this would be a clear example where I definitely prefer the worse measuring gear, because firstly, for me there is no audible distortion in the HD800 and secondly, the sound is leagues better, it is no comparison to the HD 560s or 600/650/660/6XX.

Garrincha

everything will sound the same as long as FR is the same

or not
No, firstly, all headphones have different resonances and different levels of distortion, so EQ does never work perfectly and the outcome is not the same for every individual headphone. You can for example check the result of EQ for various headphones here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets/.
Secondly, characteristics as imaging and soundstage and other spatial properties are not captured by the FR, so they again introduce different sound.

Garrincha

In order to have a significant/physical sensation of bass impact, the air volume between the driver and your ear has to be fixed. Even a small amount of leakage will decrease the sense of impact because the driver can't physically push a large amount of air. It also doesn't help that the HD800's driver resonates at around 100 Hz and thus is less proficient at reproducing frequencies below that point.

You can see on oratory's graphs that even with EQ, there's still roll off to 10 Hz. Most of the Audeze planars have no such roll off. The LCD-2 with a Harman bass shelf had a much thicker bass response. The HD800 with the same bass shelf sounds thinner in the bass.

I wouldn't say that's the biggest issue really. I could live with thin bass if its treble response wasn't so messed up. It simply does not sound right no matter how much EQ you add to it. It sounds very plasticky/artificial.
Are you serious? You are talking about a roll-off at 10Hz? Do you know how 10 Hz sound? No? Because you can't hear it. At 20Hz the EQ is spot on the Harman curve, so you are chasing imaginary things. I have also the planar Sundara, with EQ also good amount of bass, but nothing different from the HD800. I think you are propagating myths.

Xii-Nyth

Not usually but if it does the glass' arms can either be rested on top of the pad or inserted in the pad a bit above the ear. Glasses with very thick frames and/or ones that pull away from the face as soon as they leave the ear are hardest to fit.

~415gr

thats not a bad weight for what they are!!

I myself get a pain on my head if I use anything other than light all plastic sennheisers or specificaly the hyperx cloud ii headset for something heavier (even the cloud alpha which is barely different bothers me)

so for most people they should be like the aeons which can stay on my head for an hour before bothering me (about the same as the cloud alpha)- at which I switch over to my dad's 598s when Im just playing games

the worst ive had were the tygr 300rs- although I relaly liked their sound and they are even better than the aeons for games...
or grados but thats not a pressure thing but a my ears are touching a hard surface thing...

tdlr, if you ever get tired of making the best headphones, please make some light comfy cheap ones with really big circles like beyers for spacial awareness and distance referencing

Last edited:

odyo

Some of you guys giving too much credit to tonality and distortion. I owned xs, ananda, arya se. Very similar measuring headphones sounding wildly different characteristically. You can add Sundara to this as well although it deviates from Hifiman tuning a bit. You can even add he6se to this list which is similar enough in tonality but WILDLY different.

In terms of HD800S bass, i didn't heard that headphone yet but big distant lean soundstage will have it's own bass presentation. Not inferior but different. Trade offs. People also mix sub bass presence and mid bass punch. I bet HD800S have better or comparable mid bass punch to most planar magnetics. It may have weakness in sub bass because of distortion+roll off if you wanna jam out loud engaging bass music.

Monstieur

Does this have the slam of a +10 dB bass-boosted LCD? My Aeon 2 Closed does not produce impactful sub-bass no matter how much of a bass shelf I add.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this have the slam of a +10 dB bass-boosted LCD? My Aeon 2 Closed does not produce impactful sub-bass no matter how much of a bass shelf I add.

My Aeon Open X (has flatter sub-bass than Expanse and Aeon 2 Closed) slams like a truck without EQ. Can't imagine a 10 dB boost on the sub-bass which would definitely give me headaches lol

I'm really curious to those who find the Aeon, Stealth and Expanse "soft" subbass since I think of those comments as their reference for a flat bass is the Sony WH-1000XM4. I find the Expanse a shy north of the Harman Bass while Stealth is the exact Harman and Aeon X Open is 3 dB lower than Harman (my personal preference is this BTW)

index.php

Monstieur

My Aeon Open X (has flatter sub-bass than Expanse and Aeon 2 Closed) slams like a truck without EQ. Can't imagine a 10 dB boost on the sub-bass which would definitely give me headaches lol
When I add a bass shelf to the Aeon 2 Closed, I can hear it but I can't feel it. The same shelf on my LCD-5 and LCD-XC vibrates the earpads and my skull.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I add a bass shelf to the Aeon 2 Close, I can hear it but I can't feel it. The same shelf on my LCD-5 and LCD-XC vibrates the earpads and my skull.

My Aeon X Open rattles similar to subwoofer especially during Blu-Ray movie session at 100+ dB SPL with ZERO EQ whatsoever (I personally dislike EQ). Doin' it right by Daft Punk makes my Aeon X Open's rattle (not cracling/distortion but clean rattling) with plenty of rumble in the lowest frequency

Capture.JPG

Monstieur

My Aeon X Open rattles similar to subwoofer especially during Blu-Ray movie session at 100+ dB SPL with ZERO EQ whatsoever (I personally dislike EQ). Doin' it right by Daft Punk makes my Aeon X Open's rattle (not cracling/distortion but clean rattling) with plenty of rumble in the lowest frequency
Mine rumbles too. But it's nothing compared to any of the LCD headphones I own. Those also have flat bass out of the box, like every planar before the Stealth / Expanse.

Top Bottom