• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 17.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.4%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The LCD-5 does have weak bass out of the box. But when I add a +10 dB or more bass shelf it sounds and feels the part. I don't get the same increase in feel with the Aeon 2 with a bass shelf. I don't have the HD800, but I would never attempt to EQ the bass on any open-back dynamic driver as it would distort severely.
I have an EQ preset with 4dB above the Harman target in bass and sub-bass and never heard distortion. I think there should be more possible still. So no complaints there (even when the distortion measurements at low frequencies at 104 SPL by Amir are not so favorable).
I would never recommend any headphone without EQ other than the DCA Stealth / Expanse / Noir. They are the only headphones in existence that sound good out of the box, with the exception of DSP corrected heapdhones.
Agree with that. But since FR can be EQed reasonably well with several headphones (including the HD 800 besides some dip at 8-10kHz), I prefer the ones with superior spatial qualities, as these are not amendable.

odyo

Here is a corroborating review (@12:50) for the bass on the Aeon 2. Can anyone confirm whether the Expanse has a similar sensation of sub-bass?
I can confirm Ananda is like this to the point of being a critical flaw(negates all the good things about the headphone) otherwise a good headphone. Arya SE definitely not like this.

odyo

He was talking about audible bass in that video, and that was the reason the hump in the bass was introduced at 100 Hz which is well above sub-bass. However the Aeon 2 Closed has > 1% distortion at 20 Hz at 90 dB, while the LCD series are well below 1%. Yet the LCD has more sub-bass to me, subjectively.

If I cranked the LCD up to dangerous levels, the pads would almost separate from my skin and slide around from the internal pressure. The Aeon could never do that. It could also very well be the amp reaching its limits as the Aeon are both low impedance and low sensitivity.
This is most likely amp problem.
Many people (myself included) have complained that the HD800 has a very hollow to non-existent center image. As far as I can tell this is the direct result of its treble tuning. Not so much the peaks but the strange behavior at 9-10 KHz. On other headphones I hear more energy there and the presentation is more intimate and vivid with a solid center image whereas the HD800 sounds hollow. Also, even with EQ, the HD800 doesn't really portray any instrument accurately. Some information that I could hear in other headphones and IEMs is still missing hence the artificial treble timbre. Again, this is with EQ as well.

The fact that there's a roll off (technically higher than 10 Hz in stock form) suggests that the headphone doesn't seal on the head completely or the driver can't reproduce linear bass. Either way, it doesn't have as much bass punch as I have experienced even on IEMs despite the usage of EQ. EQ doesn't really add bass impact unless the seal is tight like it is on Audeze planars and some Hifimans.
Very curious about that headphone. It's interesting you said some information is lacking. HD800S is up to TOTL level according to most experienced(with expensive gear) people and better than it's price bracket in terms of technical capability. It's also interesting you said center image is non existent. On my Arya SE for example, everything is at the center. It lacks lateral far left/far right image instead. Although, technical capability of Arya SE is very, very impressive. I can't imagine HD800S having a better technical capability but i must heard it's soundstage/presentation.

Garrincha

Very curious about that headphone. It's interesting you said some information is lacking. HD800S is up to TOTL level according to most experienced(with expensive gear) people and better than it's price bracket in terms of technical capability. It's also interesting you said center image is non existent. On my Arya SE for example, everything is at the center. It lacks lateral far left/far right image instead. Although, technical capability of Arya SE is very, very impressive. I can't imagine HD800S having a better technical capability but i must heard it's soundstage/presentation.
What exactly are these "technical capabilities" ? In my understanding this is a rather invented term. Resolution and detail, for example, is the FR in the treble.

odyo

That's because LCDs have a very high degree of front volume seal. As Oratory says:
This is also why they still glue their earpads. Also not sure if it's intentional but Arya SE have noticeably tighter earpad installation than Ananda and XS.

odyo

What exactly are these "technical capabilities" ? In my understanding this is a rather invented term. Resolution and detail, for example, is the FR in the treble.
Yes, end of the day all of it is FR but still lot more going on that we can't really quantify. It's an interaction between subjective human and sound source after all. On Arya SE, there isn't much masking going on, everything is separated and pick'able. Things are clear cut and precise. Have good interaction with my ear in terms of dynamics. There is also a certain realism and texture to the sound. Despite having the same cups, same pads and following the same Hifiman house sound (very, very similar FR) XS, Ananda, Arya SE all sound quite different to me. Despite my suspicion(especially for Hifiman) beforehand, i can confirm after my experience with these headphones that higher you go, more ''technical performance'' you get.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, end of the day all of it is FR but still lot more going on that we can't really quantify. It's an interaction between subjective human and sound source after all. On Arya SE, there isn't much masking going on, everything is separated and pick'able. Things are clear cut and precise. Have good interaction with my ear in terms of dynamics. There is also a certain realism and texture to the sound. Despite having the same cups, same pads and following the same Hifiman house sound (very, very similar FR) XS, Ananda, Arya SE all sound quite different to me. Despite my suspicion(especially for Hifiman) beforehand, i can confirm after my experience with these headphones that higher you go, more ''technical performance'' you get.

Technical performance diminishes greatly once you reach even the Aeon X headphones at $400. I would even go as far as Moondrop Chu IEM to be truly accurate and you'll get minimum 90% of technical performance of any $xxx headphone out there. During the CanJam demo, I heard the $32000 Warwick Aperio and I did not once felt that I'm missing out on technical performance maybe 0.5-1% better than my Aeon X Open on the grand scheme of things.

Capture.JPG

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't have the HD800, but I would never attempt to EQ the bass on any open-back dynamic driver as it would distort severely.

I do and do not share your opinion. At least not on the SPL levels I use (ranging from background to comfortable loud).
At 20Hz I only boost 6dB though.

Dealux

The soundstage on the HD800 is artificial. It almost sounds like the fake surround sound you get with DSP but wider.

Most people don't seem to be bothered by the tuning or how the headphone portrays instruments, but most percussion instruments and even strings sound kinda hollow, like there are parts of the instruments missing which creates that ghostly/wide/less precise presentation. I would even go as far as to say that the DT990 and 1990 have better/sharper imaging and are almost as wide in their presentation. Just too harsh in the treble for most people.

Edit: Also, the fake wide soundstage makes all binaural recordings sound terrible. For a "TOTL" headphone it does make me wonder how it could be worse than IEMs at reproducing spatial cues in binaural recordings accurately.

Mihalis

Forum Donor
One obvious way in which open and closed headphones differ is that open ‘phones will deliver more crosstalk - sound escapes from the back of the right ear cup, travels around the head and enters the back of the left earcup. It seems reasonable to suppose this would have an effect on the stereo illusion, and should be easy to measure.
Indeed. is it measurable?

Mihalis

Forum Donor
I don't disagree, but this prompts me to suggest that while measurements don't NOW explain everything, that doesn't mean they couldn't if the applicable research existed. I've gained the impression elsewhere that while there was until a few years back pubicly-funded and open research on audio and acoustics (especially in Canada), that the privatization of that research team and the absence of publicly-funded research now means that certain questions seem to be frequently-asked but never answered. Like the mechanisms of imaging, or the true nature of "slam", etc. etc. If the research is being done, much of it may now be proprietary.

The Expanse is the result of years of proprietary research, and I get why that's so. But I'm also curious if there are places where the cutting edge topics are actually being addressed in the open? Are there either small shops or proto-Harman teams out there pursuing these questions that seem to persist on ASR and elsewhere?
Agreed. It seems that the adage that we don't yet have the ability to measure everything is true. and that some of the posts here (I mean the forum not this thread) are based on extreme measurement adherence. This doesn't mean that swapping the direction of the cable makes any difference but it does mean that what we see in these measurements do not always and comprehensively give the full picture.

Mihalis

Forum Donor
On the "Spatial Qualities" and soundstage front, no one really knows how a headphone adds it's spatial qualities or soundstage. The measured frequency response will certainly affect this quality, but it appears that it's not the only aspect that controls this phenomenon. Personally, and I believe a number of people hold the same view, soundstage is enhanced by large earcups that don't touch your ears and along with angled pads or angled drivers (and possibly open backed better than closed back on this front) - so that's in addition to the measured frequency response - there isn't an agreed measurement that can portray & illustrate soundstage of a headphone - so there's some voodoo associated with this.

I will say that accurate channel matching of both earcups will help accurate imaging, which is different thing compared to the soundstage which is more about it's overall size/"shape" of the stage on which the music "appears".
A competent 2 channel system and to some extend headphones should be able to produce both imaging (when it exists in the mixing/recording) and depth/width. The speakers should disappear and the headphones should allow for sound to come from beyond their physical position. I would be very interested to understand where in the measurements that is explained. and if it isn't then we need to not be so fanatical about them.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A competent 2 channel system and to some extend headphones should be able to produce both imaging (when it exists in the mixing/recording) and depth/width. The speakers should disappear and the headphones should allow for sound to come from beyond their physical position. I would be very interested to understand where in the measurements that is explained. and if it isn't then we need to not be so fanatical about them.

With speakers, the room becomes part of the equation. A large part depending on how far you sit and the characteristics of the room. The measurements you're thinking of aren't really displayed as part of speaker reviews, but can be found in REW or Genelec's new GRADE reporting. attached, if you've never seen one

Attachments

• Genelec_GRADE_Report_2022-05-05_9.1.6_immersive.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 47

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we can be fanatical about the measurements if we want to be, but it helps to understand that there is the element of soundstage that is not shown in the measurements.

JanesJr1

Maybe it's on a far horizon, to either quantify or categorize headphone characteristics that systematically affect imaging and other spatial cues. I'm kinda new to this, but I recently spent more hours than I'd like to admit doing level-matched, bi-directional (although sighted) A/B comparisons between headphones, partly on spatial characteristics, and it's made me curious to learn more. But I despair a bit about sorting out the variables that must include the various spatial cues in the original recording, the headphone geometry, my HRTF and the psycho-acoustic processing in my own brain, which itself probably includes not only direct perceptual processing but higher-level expectations about the music, the recording and the equipment.

That said, when I change just one variable, the headphones, the spatial characteristics of the listening experience change. Something specific to the equipment does attach to spatial impressions.

Maybe I'm over-complexifying it. But maybe I haven't educated myself enough. You're pretty sorted out on a lot of these topics, Robo9999 ... I'll look, but if you know a good reference work or two, let me know!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it's on a far horizon, to either quantify or categorize headphone characteristics that systematically affect imaging and other spatial cues. I'm kinda new to this, but I recently spent more hours than I'd like to admit doing level-matched, bi-directional (although sighted) A/B comparisons between headphones, partly on spatial characteristics, and it's made me curious to learn more. But I despair a bit about sorting out the variables that must include the various spatial cues in the original recording, the headphone geometry, my HRTF and the psycho-acoustic processing in my own brain, which itself probably includes not only direct perceptual processing but higher-level expectations about the music, the recording and the equipment.

That said, when I change just one variable, the headphones, the spatial characteristics of the listening experience change. Something specific to the equipment does attach to spatial impressions.

Maybe I'm over-complexifying it. But maybe I haven't educated myself enough. You're pretty sorted out on a lot of these topics, Robo9999 ... I'll look, but if you know a good reference work or two, let me know!
When it comes to soundstage I think we're all on our own to some extent. For me the only thing I've learned is that spacious earcups that don't touch your ear combined with angled pads or angled drivers is what seperates headphones that have good soundstage vs bad soundstage - assuming you've EQ'd each headphone to the Harman Headphone Curve (because measured frequency response on a dummy head does affect the soundstage too). RTings tried to once quantify the potential soundstage of a headphone by characterising it's "pinna activation", which they based on the premise that the HD800 was the King of Soundstage, lol! No, but that's a fair assumption I guess, but I don't know how they actually quantified that variable, and in the exposure I've had to RTings I don't think they characterised that variable that well. It's just still an unknown, but me personally I stand by my observations re spacious earcups / angled pads and/or angled drivers.

My own experience, I have to say that my K702 (I have 3 units), is my best headphone for soundstage, and that's after EQ to the Harman Curve. I wouldn't necessarily recommend loads of people go out and buy it because unit to unit variation & channel matching is not top notch and nor is reliablity, but I think they nailed the earcup design whilst producing a driver that was of low enough distortion. I'm in a bit of a unique situation with the K702 in which I sent a unit in to Oratory for measuring - and I also measured that same unit on my miniDSP EARS, so I've got a good conversion curve sorted so I can change a K702 miniDSP EARS measurement into a GRAS measurement and thereby EQ accurately to the Harman Curve - this means that I can choose my best K702 unit (for distortion & channel matching) and EQ it using my own measurements from the miniDSP EARS. So in my experience this nails the frequency response whilst getting the optimal soundstage that the K702 can inherently provide through it's good earcup/driver design. It's an edge case though, I mean how many people are in a position to tune their K702 like that. (I also balance the channel matching perfectly through the frequency range after measuring them on the miniDSP EARS). That's why I always recommend the HD560s over the K702, it's more reliable for unit to unit variation & channel matching and is lower distortion (whilst still having a good soundstage), so EQ's you find on the net are more applicable....doesn't mean when fully optimised that it's better than the K702, as I've illustrated.....but HD560s is more reliable and also doesn't have the failing solder wire problem the K702 has in addition! :facepalm: (I also have 3 units of HD560s, by the by).

So yes, there's no real measurements associated with soundstage - it's a distilled property from personal and other's observations, there's been some crossover & agreement in what physical aspects of a headphone create good soundstage if I look around here on ASR and other places.

Last edited:

Mihalis

Forum Donor
With speakers, the room becomes part of the equation. A large part depending on how far you sit and the characteristics of the room. The measurements you're thinking of aren't really displayed as part of speaker reviews, but can be found in REW or Genelec's new GRADE reporting. attached, if you've never seen one
Well with speakers one would still have to explain how the equipment upstream affects that. And it does to obvious effect imo.

Mihalis

Forum Donor

I think these guys have tried to explain measurements and how they affect what we hear: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/imaging

GaryH

Major Contributor
You may feel below sounds below 20Hz physically, but in reality or from speakers, not from headphones.
It's a commonly held myth that our ears cannot detect sound below 20 Hz, when in fact it's only tonal/pitch perception that ceases around there. I'd suggest reading this review of the research on infrasound perception. Key quotes from that paper:
The hearing becomes gradually less sensitive for decreasing frequency, but there is no specific frequency at which the hearing stops. Despite the general understanding that infrasound is inaudible, humans can perceive sound also below 20 Hz.
For pure tones the tonal character and the sensation of pitch decrease with decreasing frequency, and they both cease around 20 Hz. Below this frequency tones are perceived as discontinuous. From around 10 Hz and lower it is possible to follow and count the single cycles of the tone, and the perception changes into a sensation of pressure at the ears.
Degradation [of low-frequency hearing] with age takes place only above 50 years.
Connected to the issue of the perception pathway is the question, whether the same thresholds are obtained if the whole body or only the ears are exposed. Yeowart and Evans (1974) measured thresholds in a whole-body chamber and with a binaural earphone...It is seen that the agreement between the two data sets is very good. This supports the assumption that also these low frequencies are actually sensed by the ears.
Thresholds are the same, whether the whole body or just the ears are exposed, thus it can be concluded that the sensation takes place in the ears even at frequencies below 20 Hz. However, it is not totally clear, whether the sensory pathway for infrasound is the normal pathway for hearing. The observation that deaf people can only detect infrasound through vibrotactile sensation - and for that they have the same threshold as normal-hearing persons - suggests that the normal auditory system is used.
That the sensation at low levels is auditory is further supported by the fact that perception thresholds for deaf people are much higher than for people with normal hearing.
In addition to direct detection, infrasound may be detected through amplitude modulation of sound at higher frequencies. This modulation is caused by the movement of the eardrum and middle-ear bones induced by the infrasound, which results in changes of transmission properties.
The perceived intensity of the sound rises more steeply above threshold than at higher frequencies. This is especially pronounced for frequencies below 20 Hz, where a sound only a few decibels above threshold may be perceived as quite intense.
Measurements of MAP [minimum audible pressure] may in principle be carried out in any sound field. However, they are usually done either in a pressure-field chamber that encloses the entire body of the listener, or with the sound created in a cavity that is coupled to the ear (or to both ears). If, in the latter case, the cavity is very small, e.g. like that of a supraaural audiometric earphone, physiological activity around the ear seems to result in noise under the earphone that elevates the threshold, in particular at low frequencies.
Maybe this last point is one of the reasons why Harman found listeners' preferred bass level to be higher in headphones than with speakers in their blind tests.

Top Bottom