• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 17.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.4%

• Total voters

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't heard any headphones that have larger soundstage than the HD800, including the Stealth, Expanse, Raal SR1a (the closest to HD800), Susvara and HEDDphone and electrostatics like the Stax SR-X9000, Warwick Aperio and Warwick Bravura

PS. Got to see the genius @Dan Clark behind the Expanse and Stealth designs during my demo with it

View attachment 233692
That's your amp, isn't it, Majingotan?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's your amp, isn't it, Majingotan?

Yes same brand but I have their entry level one (Forge 32/300 ohm version) which is way more than enough to power the Aeons. Dan Clark is using the most powerful version of it and is configured in true dual mono rather than stereo.

Bow_Wazoo

I live less kilometers away from the German DCA distribution, but until today no demo unit of the Expanse is available.
I will definitely listen to it However, I firmly expect that it is a typical DCA. In other words: soft bass. The DCA headphones I've heard so far have all been "soft". Nothing for EDM, rock, or hip hop.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
It's really not. Bass is weak. Treble quality is not the best for sure.
I think the end game is reached when you realize for yourself that you´ve had enough. Even if there is still something objectively better somewhere.
For me, the HD800S is already close to that, if only it weren't for the highs, which I can't get completely satisfactorily with EQ.
But do I really want to spend 4-5K for the Expanse, so that is then minimally better, but at the same time for me the comfort worse? Or am I waiting for Sennheiser to finally release an HE-2 (or something like that) for 6K? Or do I just stop? I don´t know yet.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I live less kilometers away from the German DCA distribution, but until today no demo unit of the Expanse is available.
I will definitely listen to it However, I firmly expect that it is a typical DCA. In other words: soft bass. The DCA headphones I've heard so far have all been "soft". Nothing for EDM, rock, or hip hop.
I also live nearby. I took me 5 months to get a demo with the Stealth at their place. Weird, because the webshop says it is in store. Maybe you have to order it and send it back within 14 days... :-/

Zenairis

Ok so I'm just going to tell all the "$4000 too much" people. The Stealth straight up kills the Susvara. There's not even a arguement there. The bass is better while maintaining a similar sound signature in almost the entire spectrum, the spatial sound and detail are ALL superior to the Susvara and the Susvara's MSRP is $6000. These are made for serious music and sound enthusiast/editors etc not for the light of heart. Even though the Stealth is the best gaming headphone I've ever used and I've used many Hifiman, Sennheiser, Focal (He5xx, Arya (2nd Gen, Susvara etc.) headphones and the Stealth beats all of them the only place it actually loses in is to the Arya's vertical sound stage but that's a 2nd gen Arya only trait anyway imo. I cannot imagine what this headphone brings to the table and if it's spatial imaging is better than the Stealth it blows my mind.

Garrincha

It's really not. Bass is weak. Treble quality is not the best for sure.
We are talking about the EQed version. Since distortion is very low, I can enhance bass almost as much as I like and for sure as much as to get to the Harman target. And what do you mean by treble quality? The FR in the treble? Again EQ.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Have you even listened to the Expanse at all? Where did you get that “soft” bass. My demo with the Expanse is it’s punchy and dynamic as ever with that’s with zero EQ and that’s just out of the Apple Dongle and as well as when it’s on the tube amp from the CanJam show. Its sonics, punch, slam whatever subjective descriptions about bass frequencies out there are toe-tappingly superb

My test track is the “Ball and Biscuit” by White Stripes and that track sounds superbly punchy and dynamic out of my Aeons, Stealth and Expanse

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are talking about the EQed version. Since distortion is very low, I can enhance bass almost as much as I like and for sure as much as to get to the Harman target. And what do you mean by treble quality? The FR in the treble? Again EQ.
Unfortunately, one problem with HD800s that it certainly isn't low distortion in the bass, and that's where you're boosting it:
index.php

The treble looks a bit too choppy to EQ totally well too if going from Amir's frequency response measurement, but the averaged measurement from Oratory looks a little better. I think it's the physical design/shape of the earcups/drivers that allows for the good soundstage, which is probably the best reason to own an HD800s. (and for the low unit to unit variation & good channel matching).

Last edited:

odyo

If they are soft like Ananda, it's a serious problem, critical flaw in fact.

Garrincha

Unfortunately, one problem with HD800s that it certainly isn't low distortion in the bass, and that's where you're boosting it:
index.php

The treble looks a bit too choppy to EQ totally well too if going from Amir's frequency response measurement, but the averaged measurement from Oratory looks a little better. I think it's the physical design/shape of the earcups/drivers that allows for the good soundstage, which is probably the best reason to own an HD800s. (and for the low unit to unit variation & good channel matching).
Well, these are the measurements. And then there is listening to the headphone in real life. I don't know which SPL I am listening at, but if I crank it up really loud and listen to some bass heavy music like e.g. Techno, there is to my ears no audible distortion but clean and punchy bass, so I don't really care about the measurements as long the practice proves being good to me. I even have some EQ presets with bass and sub-bass some 4-6 dB above the Harman curve and still don't manage to hear any distortion or crackle (Focal haha).

Last edited:

dougq

Well, these are the measurements. And then there is listening to the headphone in real life. I don't know which SPL I am listening at, but if I crank it up really loud and listen to some bass heavy music like e.g. Techno, there is to my ears no audible distortion but clean and punchy bass, so I don't really care about the measurements as long the practice proves being good to me. I even have some EQ presets with bass and sub-bass some 4-6 dB above the Harman curve and still don't manage to hear any distortion or crackle (Focal haha).
Also factor in fit for end game material. Stealth and likely expanse are close and sound great but the actual design and feeling of wearing the hd800 series is on a level above all headphones in my experience. With the stealth I have to keep adjusting it as it slides around… ears touching the inside of the cups… and the headband is the first one ever to cause hot spots for me on my head. Totally gutted they didn’t fit me well.

Dealux

I used the HD800 with EQ for quite some time. EQ-ing the bass doesn't really give it more impact. Treble for me sounded hollow around 9-10K, probably due to those angled drivers. There's only so much you can do with EQ.

Garrincha

I used the HD800 with EQ for quite some time. EQ-ing the bass doesn't really give it more impact. Treble for me sounded hollow around 9-10K, probably due to those angled drivers. There's only so much you can do with EQ.
When the FR of the bass is on the target curve, which presumable is the case with proper EQ, then it should be right. I don't really believe in soft or punchy bass besides the FR, i.e. that there is such a thing as "planar bass" or anything like it. The HD 800 even has a DD, so according to that belief the bass should be quite impactful.

Garrincha

Also factor in fit for end game material. Stealth and likely expanse are close and sound great but the actual design and feeling of wearing the hd800 series is on a level above all headphones in my experience. With the stealth I have to keep adjusting it as it slides around… ears touching the inside of the cups… and the headband is the first one ever to cause hot spots for me on my head. Totally gutted they didn’t fit me well.
The Expanse is an open design. I don't know about the comfort of the DCA headphones, from what I hear it seems pretty good. Admittedly the HD 800 has some plasticity about it and for sure is not made of such exquisite material as the Stealth/Expanse. But it is extremly comfortably and, as far as I can see, after EQ soundwise hard to improve upon, maybe a bit in the treble region. Not to talk about the soundstage.

hifiearspeakers

My current chain:

Singxer SA-1 —> Musicians Audio Pegasus

Ok people, here’s my first impressions of the Expanse, and they are a doozy. First of all, they need power. I can run my Atrium’s on low gain for most songs except for quiet recordings like Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits or some Pink Floyd. The Expanse needs to be in high gain…period. I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, but anything less than 4 watts is not going to cut it for these. I don’t care what anyone else says about this. Less power than that is going to be suboptimal. Even on high gain, I had some tracks from Pink Floyd’s the Final Cut on max volume!!!!

These are fantastically built! I love the look, feel, and ability to compact them down for easy transport. 10/10

For me, their comfort is ridiculous good. I love the way the earpads feel, they’re large enough for my ears, and the clamp is like a pillow made of clouds. These perfectly suit my preference. I put them on and they disappear 2 minutes later. 10/10

Now to the sound. This is going to be short and easy. These are ridiculous awesome. These are the most perfectly tuned headphones I’ve ever heard, period. They are crystal clear yet velvety smooth. I simply cannot believe how much I love the entire frequency band. I cannot fault any part of it. I love it all. It has super high quality punchy bass, eye-watering mids, and possibly the best treble I’ve ever heard. I will say it again: Simultaneously CLEAR and SMOOTH and very detailed. Vocals are to die for. 10/10

The soundstage is astounding to me. I honestly don’t know what others are hearing when they say it sounds narrow. These sound as wide to me as my Atrium’s, and possibly image even better. They do not leave me wanting any more. Binaural tracks are breathtaking. Old school hard-panned recordings, like the Doors. sound almost disjointed it’s so wide. I love it. These bring you front row and in the middle of the music, but then casts a wide berth of awesomeness. 10/10

This is all I can say. My Atrium’s make my music sound like a very well recorded HD track. The Expanse makes the music sound like you are there LIVE.

These sound so good, I’m actually salty that I had to take them off to write this short review. What will I do with them?

These are impressions right out of the damn box. I hope they don’t change at all. I don’t want or need burn in. I don’t know what Dan did to come up with the idea to create these, but these are a masterpiece.

If you want to know how these compare to the Susvara..I sold my Susvara. You’ll have to pry these from my cold, dead hands.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Expanse is an open design. I don't know about the comfort of the DCA headphones, from what I hear it seems pretty good. Admittedly the HD 800 has some plasticity about it and for sure is not made of such exquisite material as the Stealth/Expanse. But it is extremly comfortably and, as far as I can see, after EQ soundwise hard to improve upon, maybe a bit in the treble region. Not to talk about the soundstage.

Regarding soundstage, any headphone that is compared to the HD800 will always be slightly less in size than it. If I would rank the headphones in my subjective opinion of soundstage I would rank the following in order of most to least:

1) HD800 (S)
2) Raal SR1a
3) Tied: Susvara, HEDDphone, Stealth, Expanse, ZMF Caldera, ZMF Atrium/Verite, AKG K701/702, Stax SR-X9000
4) Tied: Focal Utopia, AKG K712, T+A Solitaire P, Warwick Bravura, Warwick Aperio, Meze Elite, Meze Empyrean
5) Tied: Aeon X Open, Aeon Noires, Meze Lyric, Sony MDR 7506 (ETA Mini C)
6) Tied: Aeon 2 Open and Closed
7) HD6XX
8) Sony MDR 7506

I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, but anything less than 4 watts is not going to cut it for these. I don’t care what anyone else says about this. Less power than that is going to be suboptimal. Even on high gain, I had some tracks from Pink Floyd’s the Final Cut on max volume!!!!
I won't dispute that, but I would still put that as an OPINION like mine. In my experience, Expanse DOES NOT need 4 watts as I was able to power them with a mere Apple Dongle out of my US version iPhone 12 Pro at max volume and with about slightly louder than my normal listening volume or I would say 90-100 dB SPL roughly with slightly quiet tracks such as "Harridan" by Porcupine Tree.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
what in the measurements of this headphone is different and would support it having superior "spatial qualities" than the Stealth?
One obvious way in which open and closed headphones differ is that open ‘phones will deliver more crosstalk - sound escapes from the back of the right ear cup, travels around the head and enters the back of the left earcup. It seems reasonable to suppose this would have an effect on the stereo illusion, and should be easy to measure.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could say that for any speaker or headphone in contrary to the measurements, but it doesn't carry much weight. I'm not saying the HD800(s) is a bad headphone, far from it, just bass is it's most obvious weakness (after EQ).

Top Bottom