• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crosley Releases New Cassette Deck

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Sure but also obsolete. Somthing for home decoration.

That's what makes it fun.

I listen to RTR tapes that are a) new, made by others b) old stuff from back in the day (some of which never made it to digital) c) stuff that was never commercial to begin with, such as live recordings made on RTR and d) tapes I've made that are better-than-original commercial issues from the same era (e.g. making a 15 IPS 2-track of something that was originally released in 7.5 IPS or 4-track).

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what makes it fun.

I listen to RTR tapes that are a) new, made by others b) old stuff from back in the day (some of which never made it to digital) c) stuff that was never commercial to begin with, such as live recordings made on RTR and d) tapes I've made that are better-than-original commercial issues from the same era (e.g. making a 15 IPS 2-track of something that was originally released in 7.5 IPS or 4-track).
Can relate to that. Before i bought the Nakamischi BX300 i had a Braun TG 1000 (many costly UHR components where used by Braunn) producing lot's of Dynamics. Only from a practicle side the nakamischi with it smaller cassete tapes where more handy. As with the Braun you could not hear the diffrence with vinyl. To day with my topping D10 (atleast it has red digits) the hardware fun is gone. But i must say the progress in technology like roomcorrection hard & software did me listen to my old music again. I could hear details i never could hear (in the 70ties or 80ties) with any old hardware or current akoustics. The only hardhardware i still have/use is the 40 year old IMF compact II monitors. For my ears they are priceless. No active monitors like Adam A7X or KRK V series ( i both once ownd & sold) could come close regarding stereo imaging clearity of the IMF's.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
To day with my topping D10 (atleast it has red digits) the hardware fun is gone.

Digital is so high quality at even the most basic level it leaves no room for tinkering (except for DSP/EQ), which also makes it a little less fun.

I see there are three ways people deal with this boredom:

a) Rationally: spend time futzing with DSP to equalize for headphones, rooms, crossovers, etc.

b) Irrationally: USB scrubbers, "audiophile" Ethernet cables, fancy power cords, to try to "improve" things

c) Orthogonally: have a separate analog source(s) to become the recipient of tweaking urges, where it actually makes a difference, and leave the digital side unmolested

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess a lot depends on what people want out of the hobby. I actually like the fuss free usability of digital as I don't have to think about the audio system too much and can just listen to music. I never really got into vinyl so I missed all the stuff about setting up arms etc and one of the big attractions of CD was not having to get into all that stuff.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to lust after Revox cassette decks too, although ultimately I preferred Nakamichi I always wanted once of the Revox models. The last Revox gear I saw were some BT speakers and some speakers which looked more focused on style than anything else. The old high Revox prices were still there, not so sure about the old Revox engineering and quality.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I guess a lot depends on what people want out of the hobby. I actually like the fuss free usability of digital as I don't have to think about the audio system too much and can just listen to music. I never really got into vinyl so I missed all the stuff about setting up arms etc and one of the big attractions of CD was not having to get into all that stuff.

For me, it's a mood thing.

Mon-Thu, digital for ease of use.

Fr-Sun, analog when I have time to be laborious.

Automatic daily driver vs weekend stick shift.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, it's a mood thing.

Mon-Thu, digital for ease of use.

Fr-Sun, analog when I have time to be laborious.

Automatic daily driver vs weekend stick shift.
It's much like that for me, although being retired, every day is much the same, so it just goes on mood.

If I'm feeling knackered, then it's digital on the SBT, so I don't have to get up for hours. If I've still got some energy, then it's LP, and I don't mind getting up every 20 minutes or so. If I'm feeling particularly energetic, then it's a Quadraphonic evening, so not only do I have to get up every 20 minutes, but also have to adjust the Front-Back balance for each LP.

I gave up with stick shifts years ago!

S.

MHzTweaker

I used to lust after Revox cassette decks too, although ultimately I preferred Nakamichi I always wanted once of the Revox models. The last Revox gear I saw were some BT speakers and some speakers which looked more focused on style than anything else. The old high Revox prices were still there, not so sure about the old Revox engineering and quality.

Here ya go....
Revox B215-S  Front.jpg

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Digital is so high quality at even the most basic level it leaves no room for tinkering (except for DSP/EQ), which also makes it a little less fun.

I see there are three ways people deal with this boredom:

a) Rationally: spend time futzing with DSP to equalize for headphones, rooms, crossovers, etc.

b) Irrationally: USB scrubbers, "audiophile" Ethernet cables, fancy power cords, to try to "improve" things

c) Orthogonally: have a separate analog source(s) to become the recipient of tweaking urges, where it actually makes a difference, and leave the digital side unmolested
The most funniest thing with room correction is that overall it sounds much better but not purse more spectacular some music even dull. But basically it sounds way more balanced (a voice pronounced esse'n does not sound anymore like a high hat because of my untreated room acoustics) After many hours doing carefully measurements you gone tweak the sound by screwing around with your EQ (making use of the roomcorrection graph) which has to lead to a personal/taste sound with in the limits of your speakers.. So at the end music is in The ear of the Beholder.

Last edited:

rocksoffmagazine

This looks perfect...but don't really ca be viable as per today's market trends. Though, it can be very much popular within the vintage user community.

DKT88

The return of the mixtape!

Arguably the most thoughtful gift one young person can give another. The thought, time and care we put into the perfectly recorded and arranged mixtape is an art that teenagers/young adults have no idea about.
actually they call it a playlist now...not the same as there is no physical copy....as personal as a grocery list

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Top Bottom