• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crosley Releases New Cassette Deck

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@Thomas savage @amirm the winds are changing, get ready to switch from reviewing DACs to cassette players...

ct100.0.png

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ey-retro-cassette-decks-shortwave-am-fm-radio

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
The resurgence of vinyl I can kinda get my head around. Not saying I agree with it.

But the return of the Philips Compact Cassette baffles me. Retrograde fetishism for hipster pseuds.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The resurgence of vinyl I can kinda get my head around. Not saying I agree with it.

But the return of the Philips Compact Cassette baffles me. Retrograde fetishism for hipster pseuds.

Audio is an entertainment activity.....we have vintage car hobbyists, and audio is old enough now to have vintage audio hobbyists.

Blame Guardians of the Galaxy for brought cassettes back.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've met several people who buy vinyl, but don't have a turntable, and only might get one in the future. It almost makes some sense to me if you are a pure streaming person but want to buy a physical copy of something you love, might as well buy the one with the big cover.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...But the return of the Philips Compact Cassette baffles me...

The return of the mixtape!

Arguably the most thoughtful gift one young person can give another. The thought, time and care we put into the perfectly recorded and arranged mixtape is an art that teenagers/young adults have no idea about.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The return of the mixtape!

Arguably the most thoughtful gift one young person can give another. The though, time and care we put into the perfectly recorded and arranged mixtape is an art that teenagers/young adults have no idea about.
We still have the tape I gave my wife on the 2nd date, many years ago.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OK, here's a quick stab at it.

Beautiful in my eyes- Joshua Kadison
I'll make love to you- Boyz II Men
Baby I love your Way- Big Mountain version
Endless Love- Luther and Mariah
I can't help falling in love with you- UB40
Maybe a bit of Seal and for sure some Sade, how about No ordinary Love off her Love Deluxe album. Heck, half that album even.
A bit of Level 42 off the On A level album and a bit of retro (at the time) classics from George Michael.
Some Bryan Adams classics and M-People's Bizare Fruit/Elegant Slumming albums, go-to tracks.
Just for fun, throw on some Anita Baker, Regina Belle and a few standout Sinead O'Connor tracks.

Get out your wide paisley tie, pleated trousers and a nice jacket and go drink some aged scotch in a quiet bar with a fireplace and comfy leather sofas after a nice dinner.

:)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, here's a quick stab at it.

Beautiful in my eyes- Joshua Kadison
I'll make love to you- Boyz II Men
Baby I love your Way- Big Mountain version
Endless Love- Luther and Mariah
I can't help falling in love with you- UB40
Maybe a bit of Seal and for sure some Sade, how about No ordinary Love off her Love Deluxe album. Heck, half that album even.
A bit of Level 42 off the On A level album and a bit of retro (at the time) classics from George Michael.
Some Bryan Adams classics and M-People's Bizare Fruit/Elegant Slumming albums, go-to tracks.
Just for fun, throw on some Anita Baker, Regina Belle and a few standout Sinead O'Connor tracks.

Get out your wide paisley tie, pleated trousers and a nice jacket and go drink some aged scotch in a quiet bar with a fireplace and comfy leather sofas after a nice dinner.

:)
Oh no, any of that would have got me dumped immediately.

The true madness of what I created is below.
IMG_20181117_190355.jpg

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always thought that the compact cassette had a raw deal. Sure it had technical limitations but it was easy to use and provided an affordable and effective way to record at home and take music on the move. Nowadays those are things we take for granted to the extent that few now can contemplate a world where music needs physical media and where recording and making play lists etc needed another format. Do I think that it should make a return? No, but I really can't see the point of returning to vinyl either. What I do think is that the contribution of the cassette tape to audio had always been sorely under rated and that it made a much greater contribution than most have ever credited it for.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What I do think is that the contribution of the cassette tape to audio had always been sorely under rated and that it made a much greater contribution than most have ever credited it for.

Anachronistically, the contributions cassette made are now showing up in the reel to reel media world.

The better oxides of cassettes are showing up on higher end tapes like SM900, which allows for running them hotter, thus improving SNR and lowering hiss.

Maxell tried to do this at the end of the mass RTR era, but it never caught on.

It has caught on now with the Tape Project crowd using modern RTR tapes.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks like a great idea for people that never want to play that record again without lots of extra noise.

I have a few of mine on the wall in frames showing the cover only, records with great covers, that sound better on digital.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So that means Doldy B-C azimuth correction armourd hard discrete three head system possible new amp with tape monitor it was al in my good old Nakamichi BX300 a gorgeouse piece of technology but obsolete against my laptop/Xone 4D when ripping (oeps copying) vinyl/ cd's bit perfect.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So that means Doldy B-C azimuth correction armourd hard discrete three head system possible new amp with tape monitor it was al in my good old Nakamichi BX300 a gorgeouse piece of technology but obsolete against my laptop/Xone 4D when ripping (oeps copying) vinyl/ cd's bit perfect.

Obsolescence:

a) that's the point
b) tubes are obsolete
c) never been a real issue in the audiophile world (as opposed to the pro audio world)
d) Harley Davidson + McIntosh prove the power of nostalgia marketing

Kyle / MrHeeHo

It's the novelty, plus compact cassettes are much smaller and easier to store than vinyl records. Personally I have a bunch of cassettes I got as hand-me-downs from my parents and getting a cassette player is probably cheaper than tracking down each album in a more modern format. I'd wait for something better than a Crosley though.

Top Bottom