• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crosley Releases New Cassette Deck

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So that means Doldy B-C azimuth correction armourd hard discrete three head system possible new amp with tape monitor it was al in my good old Nakamichi BX300 a gorgeouse piece of technology but obsolete against my laptop/Xone 4D when ripping (oeps copying) vinyl/ cd's bit perfect.

Nakamichi, now there was a company that knew how to engineer equipment to extraordinary standards!! I mean the real Nakamichi company, not the various shells that have paid to use the name in recent years. When I consider the absolute quality and precision, the wonderful tactile feel, of their equipment it makes me kin of sad to see much modern equipment (although it has to be kept in mind that the real Nakamichi stuff was never cheap and their top end products were seriously expensive.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Nakamichi, now there was a company that knew how to engineer equipment to extraordinary standards!! I mean the real Nakamichi company, not the various shells that have paid to use the name in recent years. When I consider the absolute quality and precision, the wonderful tactile feel, of their equipment it makes me kin of sad to see much modern equipment (although it has to be kept in mind that the real Nakamichi stuff was never cheap and their top end products were seriously expensive.

Either of these

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a CR7E, possibly the most extravagant purchase I ever made but it was a gorgeous item and extracted genuinely very good performance from the humble compact cassette.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I had a CR7E, possibly the most extravagant purchase I ever made but it was a gorgeous item and extracted genuinely very good performance from the humble compact cassette.

In their golden age, it was pretty surprising how good cassettes got given they had only 60% of the width and 1/9th of the speed of 1/4" 15 ips RTR.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Wonderful timing! Mariah Carey's new album is available on cassette as well as CD, download, and LP! :D

View attachment 17684

The soundtrack to the new Queen movie is also being released on cassette:

50224617_001_b

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'll just keep sitting on my considerable stock of NOS blank cassettes. I smile when I see the prices of sealed originals.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TDK-MA-...h=item48a3aa5d20:g:N-cAAOSwevZaleUx:rk:2:pf:1

I still have recordings we made in 1984-1986 when my best mate and I spent entire days making perfect LP copies and CD transfers. I've played many of them recently on the original decks they were recorded on (after restoration) and the recordings are still indistinguishable from the day they were made. Many are so good, you are hard pressed to hear differences to the CD or LP source.

All were made on TDK-ADX/ARX or higher, Dolby C, tweaked EQ and Bias, MPX defeated on either high quality 2 head or discrete 3 head decks. Each tape was marked with the deck it was recorded on. Even back then when I was still a teenager, I had about 8 cassette decks!

The ADX/ARX, SA-X and MA-X/X-G were the best tapes ever made in my opinion. I was never much a fan of HX-S, SA or MA. Nothing much from Denon, Sony, Maxell, Thats, or BASF floated my boat. I have some very nice late production Fujis from Japan which are obscenely good.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Sony Walkman Professional, anyone remember those? That was an early example of mobile high quality music, it was very bulky (even when new it was a lot bulkier than regular walkmen) but it offered performance on a par with a full sized cassette deck. I took mine around the world multiple times, it had that build quality of Sony high end products, it was a lovely thing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I had a Sony Walkman Professional, anyone remember those?

Beautiful units. The later ones were Quartz PLL DD with pancake motors for supply and takeup. I've got some of the Marantz 'pressman' style units someplace.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminiscing about the cassette tape makes me appreciate just how wonderful the current state of the art of audio is in terms of ease of use and access to high quality source material.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I very rarely stream, I converted my CD collection to FLAC which I loaded onto my tablet, phone and digital audio player. Several hundred CDs in CD quality sound, instantly accessible at home or on the move, being able to take my collection away when I travel, being able to use these devices as a hi-fi source etc, I just find it all remarkable compared to not that long ago.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I very rarely stream, I converted my CD collection to FLAC which I loaded onto my tablet, phone and digital audio player. Several hundred CDs in CD quality sound, instantly accessible at home or on the move, being able to take my collection away when I travel, being able to use these devices as a hi-fi source etc, I just find it all remarkable compared to not that long ago.

Sure, I did the same. Have it all on a 4 TB NAS hooked up to Roon.

The sound quality is great.

But there is nothing to tinker with, if you're rational.

No knobs, no VU meters, nothing moving.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha ha it is a matter of time when the open reel tape deck is back.
Mia dancing on a Teac X-2000 R. No compromise regarding Dynamics.

Attachments

• d9784e2ab2638d2cd027584a55c67abc.jpg
    d9784e2ab2638d2cd027584a55c67abc.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 90

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom