• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting a Blu-ray/SACD player into a digital DSD transport

Fench

Anyone who got DOP64 over coaxial/optical, 2CH stereo, from such box when using a Sony UBP-X800M2 player?

Last edited:

mshenay

So I dug out this eBay link from another forum which seems to have some success: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203496436505

I'm also now contemplating how to solve this problem myself as I'd like to enjoy my Cinema in a playback standard higher than 24/48, as the moment I run USB into a Schiit Etir then run THAT Coaxial out into my DAC and jRiver down-samples any blu-ray content into 24/48

So, I'll keep you guys in the loop on what I figure out, I may even pick up a Mytek DAC especially for cinema if it works best/better with the aforementioned conversion box

mshenay

So I dug out this eBay link from another forum which seems to have some success: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203496436505

I'm also now contemplating how to solve this problem myself as I'd like to enjoy my Cinema in a playback standard higher than 24/48, as the moment I run USB into a Schiit Etir then run THAT Coaxial out into my DAC and jRiver down-samples any blu-ray content into 24/48

So, I'll keep you guys in the loop on what I figure out, I may even pick up a Mytek DAC especially for cinema if it works best/better with the aforementioned conversion box
https://geerfab.com/audio/ these guys make a Digital Break Out Box that works beautifully!

Mirya

i just bought X800M2 recently. I am having some problem on the audio quality on SACD.

a) The digital output coaxial from X800M2 to my Topping D90 DAC showing 44.1kHz only? Not upto 88.2kHz ?
b) I tried to connect HDMI2 (audio only) to Topping D90 DAC IIS with reverse IIS setting, but no sound, (Digital Audio Output/ DSD Audio Output are set set to Auto), what's wrong.
c) For item b, I also try to use HDMI to IIS digital interface converter, same problem without sound.

Need help how to play SACD physically and transmit DSD signal to DAC.

Or the last chance is to rip SACD into DSD then save them into SSD, play as digital media file.

Fench

i just bought X800M2 recently. I am having some problem on the audio quality on SACD.

a) The digital output coaxial from X800M2 to my Topping D90 DAC showing 44.1kHz only? Not upto 88.2kHz ?
b) I tried to connect HDMI2 (audio only) to Topping D90 DAC IIS with reverse IIS setting, but no sound, (Digital Audio Output/ DSD Audio Output are set set to Auto), what's wrong.
c) For item b, I also try to use HDMI to IIS digital interface converter, same problem without sound.

Need help how to play SACD physically and transmit DSD signal to DAC.

Or the last chance is to rip SACD into DSD then save them into SSD, play as digital media file.

a) No, x800M2 downsamples over coaxial to 48kHz or 44.1kHz. (Need to use HDMI2 audio only).

b), c) This extractor seems to extract DSD over PCM (DoP), which i guess your Topping D90 can process:

Mirya

a) No, x800M2 downsamples over coaxial to 48kHz or 44.1kHz. (Need to use HDMI2 audio only).

b), c) This extractor seems to extract DSD over PCM (DoP), which i guess your Topping D90 can process:
It is not stated in X800M2 specification on the coaxial output frequency, too bad.

Yes I am using this extractor, but when i playing the SACD , there is no sound coming out from my Topping D90 and no DSD signal display on the D90 screen.
I do notice the red LED light blinking intermitentlly, do I need external 5V DC power ? Btw, I am ordering USB to 5V DC 5.5/2.1mm plug to try again.

Fench

It is not stated in X800M2 specification on the coaxial output frequency, too bad.

Yes I am using this extractor, but when i playing the SACD , there is no sound coming out from my Topping D90 and no DSD signal display on the D90 screen.
I do notice the red LED light blinking intermitentlly, do I need external 5V DC power ? Btw, I am ordering USB to 5V DC 5.5/2.1mm plug to try again.

You mentioned that you're using the IIS connection. Are you sure you have the extractor that mentions "DOP" in the product title? There are at least two lookalikes of this box, one of which does only IIS for DSD and the other, more expensive one that i referenced also does DoP over SPDIF (coaxial recommended over optical). It further seems to distinguish from the no-DoP version by a green LED next to its optical out. I read that on some other thread. And yes, it's better to use additional 5V DC power supply.

Mirya

You mentioned that you're using the IIS connection. Are you sure you have the extractor that mentions "DOP" in the product title? There are at least two lookalikes of this box, one of which does only IIS for DSD and the other, more expensive one that i referenced also does DoP over SPDIF (coaxial recommended over optical). It further seems to distinguish from the no-DoP version by a green LED next to its optical out. I read that on some other thread. And yes, it's better to use additional 5V DC power supply.
Thanks for pointing out, the title didn't state DOP, in the description, it stated, it is designed with board B.

Attached screenshot of photo (front and rear) Screenshot_20221213_172027_Shopee.jpgScreenshot_20221213_172551_Shopee.jpg

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
My latest task is to try to get my Oppo BDP-103 to play DSD to my Gustard x26pro. Curious if anyone has been successful at this exact combination as I have not.

First I tried the TZT box (non-DoP version) with i2s over HDMI with no success. Maybe it is a pin-out problem with the x26pro that is wrong but I have heard most everyone gets noise problems with this box and the x26pro even with the pins changed.

Second I tried the Oppomod i2s card made for the Oppo BDP-103 but with special firmware that was claimed to work specifically for the x26pro. Now the Oppo will play SACDs over the i2s connections to the x26pro, and are recognized as DSD 2.82Mhz but (big but) when not actively playing SACDs, the oppomod card is sending something that reads DSD 3.07MHz and the x26pro sends out an analog signal that maxes out my line level VU meters. It can’t be heard (at least by my ears) so not sure what it is (ultra high frequency?). Not good. This setup will also not play CDs or PCM and when I try the DAC reads DSD 2.82MHz and the audio is totally garbled. Tried about every setting on the Oppo.

Hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have just bought the DoP version of the box on ebay? Was hoping to get i2s to work but may not possible with the Gustard x26pr?

Last edited:

mrmeng430

In plain English: I use the DoP box with my Denon Universal player. The Denon player is indirectly connected to an input Coaxial switch A/B box I got from Radio Shack years ago. Denon HDMI out to DoP in box. A is connected to the DoP box output, B connected to coaxial out from the Denon player. I switch between A and B when playing stereo SACD (A) and CD (B). The A/B box is output to the one Coaxial in on my Topping DAC. This DAC can tell if the input signal is DoP (SACD) or CD signal. I use short 6" RCA cables in the chain. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom