• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting a Blu-ray/SACD player into a digital DSD transport

Wu7wah

Are you saying that the pop sound appears only when you play red book cd and change to SACD? As we know, the D90 screen will display PCM (red book cd) and DSD (sacd).
When I play red book cd it will display PCM on D90 screen. No issue with red book cd, blu ray or DVD Audio discs. All are PCM. But once I change to SACD, the pop sound manifest at the very start of the 1st track. Thereafter, everything is fine. It appears again when I pop in another SACD or if I stop and restart the same SACD, it pops.

Yes, when the D90 is switching from PCM to DSD. If I play SACD through it one after another, no pop. So I make sure I turn the volume down before I start playing an SACD.

L Plate

Yes, when the D90 is switching from PCM to DSD. If I play SACD through it one after another, no pop. So I make sure I turn the volume down before I start playing an SACD.
Bizarre! Why we have a different issue? We both use almost the same devices. I have D90 MQA and Oppo 93.

Wu7wah

Bizarre! Why we have a different issue? We both use almost the same devices. I have D90 MQA and Oppo 93.

Have you set your SACD output to DSD? Page 63 of the attached file. I am also attaching the Manual for the 83 You will see they contain different instructions for the audio setup.

Attachments

• BDP-93_English_Manual_v2.6.1.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 106
  • BDP-83_English_Manual.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 88

L Plate

Have you set your SACD output to DSD? Page 63 of the attached file. I am also attaching the Manual for the 83 You will see they contain different instructions for the audio setup.
Thanks for your hard work. Much appreciated. I have followed the instructions as much as possible however the issue is still there. BTW, what are your set up and options that you have chosen? I know we have a different system. Yes, SACD is set to DSD on my Oppo 93.

Wu7wah

Not a problem. I am just being curious.

As for my exact setup, It has been a while, so I cannot tell you off the top. I will have to connect it to a monitor or TV to take a look at the setup. It is a bit of a bother since the TV is not in my listening room. I am looking for a cheap small TV on Kijiji right now so that I can just hook it up to the BDP 83 where it is. I will let you know when I have done this. I should do it anyway because I don't think I have the most recent firmware installed. Stay tuned.

L Plate

Not a problem. I am just being curious.

As for my exact setup, It has been a while, so I cannot tell you off the top. I will have to connect it to a monitor or TV to take a look at the setup. It is a bit of a bother since the TV is not in my listening room. I am looking for a cheap small TV on Kijiji right now so that I can just hook it up to the BDP 83 where it is. I will let you know when I have done this. I should do it anyway because I don't think I have the most recent firmware installed. Stay tuned.
Oh! It's OK. I thought you might have already hook up to your TV so that you can view the details of the song like song title, album, artist, etc etc. Cheers.
"I should do it anyway because I don't think I have the most recent firmware installed. " I thought its updated automatically! I have set up the wi fi on my player and whenever there is an update it notifies me.

Last edited:
OP
UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid

Hi Andy... The attached photos will show I am playing SACD through HDMI on the BDP-83 display and the D90 display shows IIS to RCA with DCD at 2.82MHz. You may need to check your HDMI Audio output setting. (Never mind the Singxer USB Bridge. I only use it to play music from my laptop.)
Could you tell me what version of f/w your Oppo player has loaded? Perhaps that is part of my problem. Maybe it is worth my trying to order another converter box incase the one I have is a dud.

Wu7wah

Could you tell me what version of f/w your Oppo player has loaded? Perhaps that is part of my problem. Maybe it is worth my trying to order another converter box incase the one I have is a dud.

Hi Andy... The firmware version is BDP83-60-1110, which I think is the latest (2014). Please see attached photos. The HDMI Audio is set to "Auto" and the SACD output is set to DSD.

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_220836395 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20210906_220836395 (800x600).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20210906_224327042 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20210906_224327042 (800x600).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127

raif71

Major Contributor
Hi Andy... The firmware version is BDP83-60-1110, which I think is the latest (2014). Please see attached photos. The HDMI Audio is set to "Auto" and the SACD output is set to DSD.
I too was able to get the iis over hdmi to work correctly with my Sony BDP-S370 and Gustard X16. Please refer to my setup in this thread . I used this board without the enclosure as shown in this link . The cable IIS over HDMI used is from Gustard.

mrmeng430

Someone on thread #12 has similar sony player and it is not compatible. Also, I think your DAC IIS may not be compatible. You should be able to play SACD and output as PCM albeit at a much higher resolution 88.2 khz. I can play SACD output at 2.8 Mhz however the 1st track always has a buzzing sound right at the beginning of the song. But when I select coaxial or optical, no issue but only 88.2 khz. Maybe, I should just live with it.
Issue resolved. Bought a used Denon DBP-2012UDCI Universal player (the audio is incredible, better than the Sony), got another HDMI in and coaxial out DOP64 converter box from China, https://www.ebay.com/itm/353354399159, my 2nd one but with coaxial DOP64 out. Bought new HDMI 2.0 cable, new coaxial cable and hooked it all up, voila!! Works now. Keeping the Topping DAC since return window closed. Returning a Sabaj DAC as I still have return window till Nov 5. Returned a SMSL DAC already. What a rabbit hole I was in. I guess I had two things against me in the beginning: Sony X800 player that does not send DSD if it detects a device that is not an AVR and old HDMI cable (not 2.0 version). Did not use the wal wart 4.5v power supply to get the DSD to transfer (which is great: one less device to connect). Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Wu7wah

Congratulations! Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I do still have to mute the system when I switch the signal (CD to SACD or vice versa) to avoid the pop. Otherwise, I am not getting any clicks or pops. I have just replaced the OPPO 83 with a 93 for much better transport and electronics.

L Plate

Congratulations! Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I do still have to mute the system when I switch the signal (CD to SACD or vice versa) to avoid the pop. Otherwise, I am not getting any clicks or pops. I have just replaced the OPPO 83 with a 93 for much better transport and electronics.
Yes I have used different Hdmi I2s cables and it's the same clicks and pops. Not bothered with i2s anymore since the DoP is working. And I still do not know what is the caused. I am using Oppo 93 and I thought it could be the culprit. Who knows.

Wu7wah

Don't know. It is still HDMI going into your new TZT box from your 93, right? So I doubt the 93 is the culprit. Maybe it is the I2S input circuit of your D90. Just thinking.

L Plate

Don't know. It is still HDMI going into your new TZT box from your 93, right? So I doubt the 93 is the culprit. Maybe it is the I2S input circuit of your D90. Just thinking.
If this is true, that means all my DACs are having I2S input circuit issue. I have Gustard X16, D90 MQA and D90Se. All having exactly the same clicks and pops. In fact, someone has D90Se as well, he's facing the same problem. Another guy owns a LKS DAC is also complaining about static issue. He attempts to make his own HDMI cable without success. One went further by saying that it has to do with the DPLL. He talks about adjusting the DPLL to as high as possible. Don't know what it is and I am not going near there. Just buy the DoP box and done with.

Wu7wah

Well, I am glad you have solved your problem. It is rather mysterious. Happy Holidays.

Wu7wah

I tried connecting the box to my D90 using the coax digital cable. I couldn't get any signal. Maybe the cable is faulty. I may try using the optical connection next. Do you have to do any special set up or is it just simple PnP?

You did mention playing SACD DSD in DOP @2.82 Mhz DSD. How do you do that? At the Oppo end or on the D90?

Last edited:

L Plate

You connect the coaxial or optical output from the box to d90. Hdmi cable from player to the box hdmi input. Any generic cable is suffice.
On your Oppo player settings, you need to select SACD output as DSD. But make sure your box is DoP capable type. Not ordinary box that is flooding the market. Check out my other post #91 with the link where I bought it from Alibaba. You can buy from ebay as well.
No! Wait. Just found out that D90 is NOT supporting DoP. Hence, you are not getting any sound.

Edit: "Hence, you are not getting any sound." Actually, it is not true. If you connect coaxial or optical from box output to D90, you should still get sound however only PCM at 88.2Khz. Make sure you select SACD Output on your player as PCM (I select DSD because I am using DoP). Only thing is that you won't be able to play DSD in DoP because your D90 does not support DoP.

Attachments

• IMG_20211223_233849.jpg
    IMG_20211223_233849.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Wu7wah

This is the box I bought on AliExpress a little over a year ago:

My box does not have DoP capacity. That is the major difference between mine and your TZT other than the price. I guess I will be getting a new box.

With my box, I can play CD through the converter when I set the Coaxial/Optical output to LPCM, but not SACD unless I set it to PCM and not DSD. However, I need to set it to DSD since I can play DSD through the I2S output. With SACD output set to PCM, the signal will play at 88.2 kHz.

Top Bottom