• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting a Blu-ray/SACD player into a digital DSD transport

OP
UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid

I have just found this thread. I have also connected my OPPO BDP-83 to my Topping D-90 via an HDMI to I1S converter with great success. It is just PnP with no fiddling with the settings of the converter which does not come with any instructions. But I do have to set up the DSD audio output of the HDMI port through the Setup Menu menu of the BDP-83 which means connecting it to a TV. That is the only hassle. I wonder if the newer OPPO models with a special Audio HDMI output port require the same setup.
I was never able to get this to work. Maybe it was the box I got is bad but I wasn’t going to wait another month to order another from China.

L Plate

I was never able to get this to work. Maybe it was the box I got is bad but I wasn’t going to wait another month to order another from China.
Mine is playing just fine except that God..amn buzzing sound at the start of the 1st track is not going away. One guy on this thread had the same devices as mine didn't reply to me. Wish I could get info from him. Oh well, ces't la vie

Wu7wah

Sorry to hear that and wonder why. Mine works straight out of the box. Does the red light on the converter come on at all?

Wu7wah

Mine is playing just fine except that God..amn buzzing sound at the start of the 1st track is not going away. One guy on this thread had the same devices as mine didn't reply to me. Wish I could get info from him. Oh well, ces't la vie

Wu7wah

Strange, because I don't have the same problem. It may not be the converter. Is your transport an OPPO BDP-83 as well? Sorry if I missed your thread.

L Plate

Strange, because I don't have the same problem. It may not be the converter. Is your transport an OPPO BDP-83 as well? Sorry if I missed your thread.
My Oppo is BDP 93 similar to this guy at post #29 where this is what he wrote:

"Plug and play DSD
Oppo 93 > Wireworld Silver Starlight > 2nd Gen naked board / printed box (new aluminum case looks sweet)>
generic HDMI 2.2 cable > D90 MQA w/original firmware
No additional 5V needed, instantly recognizes DSD signal "

Everything is playing fine with red book cd, blu ray or DVD Audio. Just that SACD!
Btw, do you have DTS cd? I have DTS cds however it wouldn't play via coaxial/optical although the website says it can play. Notice that some naked boards have 2.1 channels and 5.1 channels DTS, AC - 3 printed on the board. I attempted to play DTS cd and all I got is white noise. But I have another gadget which I have owned for several years and it will play DTS cd. So, I didn't bother using the IIS gadget to play DTS via coaxial.

OP
UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid

Sorry to hear that and wonder why. Mine works straight out of the box. Does the red light on the converter come on at all?
Yes, but it only ever outputs 88.2 PCM

OP
UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid

Yes

Wu7wah

The only peculiarity I have experienced with my setup is when the OPPO sends the SACD signal to the D90, there is an initial loud pop. I have to remember to turn down the volume on the preamp before playing an SACD. I will check out if there are any setup differences between the 93 and the 83 before I comment further. I am also going to check if I have the most current (2014) firmware installed on my 83.

Wu7wah

Hi Andy... The attached photos will show I am playing SACD through HDMI on the BDP-83 display and the D90 display shows IIS to RCA with DCD at 2.82MHz. You may need to check your HDMI Audio output setting. (Never mind the Singxer USB Bridge. I only use it to play music from my laptop.)

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_163534554 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20210828_163534554 (800x600).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20210828_163956745 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20210828_163956745 (800x600).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20210828_164248478_BURST000_COVER_TOP (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20210828_164248478_BURST000_COVER_TOP (800x600).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 243

Wu7wah

The only peculiarity I have experienced with my setup is when the OPPO sends the SACD signal to the D90, there is an initial loud pop. I have to remember to turn down the volume on the preamp before playing an SACD. I will check out if there are any setup differences between the 93 and the 83 before I comment further. I am also going to check if I have the most current (2014) firmware installed on my 83.

It only happens when the OPPO is switching from PCM to DSD.

mrmeng430

Sorry if this has been discussed, this converter box is new to me. I have a Sony UBP-X800 and I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/284096906856?var=585589278490 converter box , and have a Topping DX7 Pro DAC. This morning I tried connecting HDMI with DSD to this converter box to the HDMI in and Out via IIS to the Topping DAC IIS. It did not work, as the Topping display had no Hz reading. I changed the HDMI out to PCM via Coaxial on the Sony, and it works now without the converter box. Am I doing something wrong or this Sony player is not compatible with this converter box? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Wu7wah

Sorry if this has been discussed, this converter box is new to me. I have a Sony UBP-X800 and I bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/284096906856?var=585589278490 converter box, and have a Topping DX7 Pro DAC. This morning I tried connecting HDMI with DSD to this converter box to the HDMI in and Out via IIS to the Topping DAC IIS. It did not work, as the Topping display had no Hz reading. I changed the HDMI out to PCM via Coaxial on the Sony, and it works now without the converter box. Am I doing something wrong or this Sony player is not compatible with this converter box? Thank you in advance for any advice.

If you have the Sony's user manual, check pages 22, 25 and 27. Can you play red book CDs to Th3 DX7? The coaxial does not pass DSD signals, only PCM.

mrmeng430

If you have the Sony's user manual, check pages 22, 25 and 27. Can you play red book CDs to Th3 DX7? The coaxial does not pass DSD signals, only PCM.
Yes, I can play redbook CDs via coaxial on the DX7, just not DSD even with IIS and converter box. Guess Sony does something to the DSD signal.

Wu7wah

I have read a downloaded manual for the Sony. It has a number of settings you need to pay attention to with respect to the HDMI audio output box. I have also noticed the Topping DX7's I2S port has a number of optional settings as well. So does the converter box. There is no use in asking for support from the Chinese suppliers. Their English does not go beyond Google translate except for a few retailers. Where did you buy the box from? eBay?

Wu7wah

Yes, I can play redbook CDs via coaxial on the DX7, just not DSD even with IIS and converter box. Guess Sony does something to the DSD signal.

I'd make sure the HDMI Audio output is set up properly first, Unfortunately, there are no I2S standards.

L Plate

Someone on thread #12 has similar sony player and it is not compatible. Also, I think your DAC IIS may not be compatible. You should be able to play SACD and output as PCM albeit at a much higher resolution 88.2 khz. I can play SACD output at 2.8 Mhz however the 1st track always has a buzzing sound right at the beginning of the song. But when I select coaxial or optical, no issue but only 88.2 khz. Maybe, I should just live with it.

L Plate

"]The only peculiarity I have experienced with my setup is when the OPPO sends the SACD signal to the D90, there is an initial loud pop."
Do you mean when you pop in a SACD to start playing and you get a loud pop? Sounds like similar to my issue. My player is Oppo 93.

L Plate

Are you saying that the pop sound appears only when you play red book cd and change to SACD? As we know, the D90 screen will display PCM (red book cd) and DSD (sacd).
When I play red book cd it will display PCM on D90 screen. No issue with red book cd, blu ray or DVD Audio discs. All are PCM. But once I change to SACD, the pop sound manifest at the very start of the 1st track. Thereafter, everything is fine. It appears again when I pop in another SACD or if I stop and restart the same SACD, it pops.

Top Bottom