• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I was going to order a Flex HT but I think I'll have the HTx instead. Great with the balanced outputs.
I was waiting for the Flext HT for a while and wished they would do a device like the Flext HTx that I was not aware of.

Thanks for the tip.The flex HTx looks better for my needs and is more universal in terms of I/O, while being 50% more expensive.

I will probably end up by getting the Flex HTx.

Left

Everyone has been waiting with baited breath. In late 2023 what methods are there to decode to LPCM other than Apple TV, Kodi, or from a Blu-ray source? And do any TVs brands block LPCM passthrough?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I was going to order a Flex HT but I think I'll have the HTx instead. Great with the balanced outputs.
I think the HTx needs its own thread.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
New thread created:

ARNiTECT

I've put my order in for a Flex HT with Dirac.

Cambridge Audio CXUHD will process bitstream to LPCM.

I will first try something similar to my existing setup:
CXUHD: out1/Shield/PC > HDMI switch > TV: in > TV: arc > FeinTech VAX01202 > CXUHD: in > CXUHD: out2 > Flex HT > Power amps

My TV is an LG OLED G2, I'm passing through the sources to a TV input and then output the audio from it's eARC port. This even works with DTS/DTS-HD material, even though I understood the TV doesn't support DTS passthrough.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio CXUHD will process bitstream to LPCM.
Are you sure? I doubt it will do any decoding of bitstream codecs.

Edit: seems it can do some of them (not Atmos). The manual is very vague on this though.. That's pretty neat, I though Oppo had the only players that can do this.

Last edited:

ARNiTECT

Are you sure? I doubt it will do any decoding of bitstream codecs.

Edit: seems it can do some of them (not Atmos). The manual is very vague on this though.. That's pretty neat, I though Oppo had the only players that can do this.
CXUHD is similar to the Oppo UPD-203 (minor differences), I've been using it for this purpose for a few years; it is in the chain before my nanoAVRs etc.
I'm ok with 7.1 surround

kadajawi

Unfortunately, the manual lists it as an upgrade. I expect it will be an additional charge, above the $750 already shown on audiophonics (Edit-thanks for the updated info, @vicenzo_del_paris)
I'm not quite sure. I read the text in a way that the first batch has WISA integrated ("The WiSA transmitter we build into each Flex HT"). Starting next year, for the next batch, the hardware is optional and thus will cost extra. So basically if you want WISA, better act fast. I'm not happy about the pressure, to be honest.

I'm not sure though. I thought I was going to use my Shield for everything anyway, and as long as the Shield does the decoding to PCM I'd be fine. However the Shield has been rather frustrating and Tizen works surprisingly good... but I don't think I can get the TV to output LPCM, so...

GDTRFB

Forum Donor
I'm not quite sure. I read the text in a way that the first batch has WISA integrated ("The WiSA transmitter we build into each Flex HT"). Starting next year, for the next batch, the hardware is optional and thus will cost extra. So basically if you want WISA, better act fast. I'm not happy about the pressure, to be honest.

I'm not sure though. I thought I was going to use my Shield for everything anyway, and as long as the Shield does the decoding to PCM I'd be fine. However the Shield has been rather frustrating and Tizen works surprisingly good... but I don't think I can get the TV to output LPCM, so...

Per the current manual:
“The WiSA transmitter is not available for purchase yet as we are currently proceeding through the WiSA certification process. We will update the Flex HT store page to enable the optional WiSA upgrade as soon as certification is finalized. Please note also that for logistical and manufacturing reasons, the WiSA upgrade can not be added to units that were purchased without it.”

ARNiTECT

Per the current manual:
“The WiSA transmitter is not available for purchase yet as we are currently proceeding through the WiSA certification process. We will update the Flex HT store page to enable the optional WiSA upgrade as soon as certification is finalized. Please note also that for logistical and manufacturing reasons, the WiSA upgrade can not be added to units that were purchased without it.”
Hmm... reading this, buyer's remorse started creeping up on me.
I don't have any immediate plans to get WiSA speakers, but it was nice to have the option.
Q1 2024 could be 4 months away; I'll deal with WiSA at the point I need it, and take the saving.

RiZLa7

One thing i could not find an answer to in this thread.

I am planning a system with a Marantz Cinema 40 with Dirac processing.
I want to be able to send the raw digital audio from the Marantz to the Minidsp Flex HT via HDMI to minimize DA / AD conversion.

Will i be able to send 2ch stereo signal digital via HDMI to the Flex ?

Danaxus

One thing i could not find an answer to in this thread.

I am planning a system with a Marantz Cinema 40 with Dirac processing.
I want to be able to send the raw digital audio from the Marantz to the Minidsp Flex HT via HDMI to minimize DA / AD conversion.

Will i be able to send 2ch stereo signal digital via HDMI to the Flex ?
Sure you can, using an HDMI out port (Zone 2). It’s a passthrough port, meaning the signal will be completely unaltered (no Dirac applied). It will send the entirely of the source, including all its audio channels to your Flex, and I’m guessing it’s straightforward to get the flex to drop all but the stereo channels after that.

RiZLa7

Sure you can, using an HDMI out port (Zone 2). It’s a passthrough port, meaning the signal will be completely unaltered (no Dirac applied). It will send the entirely of the source, including all its audio channels to your Flex, and I’m guessing it’s straightforward to get the flex to drop all but the stereo channels after that.
Thank you for answer! :)

Then i can take Dirac processed 2.0 stereo from the marantz digital into the hdmi flex, nice!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then i can take Dirac processed 2.0 stereo from the marantz digital into the hdmi flex, nice!
No, he explicitly stated you can’t. Wharves output over HDMI is unprocessed.

kadajawi

Everyone has been waiting with baited breath. In late 2023 what methods are there to decode to LPCM other than Apple TV, Kodi, or from a Blu-ray source? And do any TVs brands block LPCM passthrough?
Rtings does test the latter, though I have no idea which TVs are able to decode what formats. Sadly, no one tests that because every device that does playback surround is able to decode most modern formats... except for the MiniDSP.

MiniDSP did comment on the WISA thing... current Flex HT do not do WISA... if you want that, you've got to wait and splurge for the optional WISA support. I wonder how much that will cost...

ARNiTECT

I've got a DHL tracking number; delivery to UK Thursday.
Good timing for playing around with over the holidays, although we've had to rearrange all the furniture to fit a tree in, so calibration will need redoing in new year.

dweeeeb2

I've got a DHL tracking number; delivery to UK Thursday.
Good timing for playing around with over the holidays, although we've had to rearrange all the furniture to fit a tree in, so calibration will need redoing in new year.
Its room treatment

ARNiTECT

Indeed. If it sounds better with the tree, garland, candles, stockings, and mince pie on the hearth; maybe it stays year round.

Top Bottom