• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, so you are looking for an HDMI in/out version of the 4 channel Flex. Send MiniDSP a request. You never know……

it seems one could easily do this with existing hardware, but it would not be a one box solution.

My main application is to use windows/mac laptop, or desktop and JRiver. Can actually get by without the hdmi output, but it would be nice to have that option too, especially for my DSD files.

vandalf

There is no problem with 8 channels, that is > 3 channels, but I am not willing to pay for 8 channels when I will never use more than 3 (okay may be 4 if I want to add a second sub) channels. About the space issue, there should be room to add HDMI out if the DAC has 3 to 4 channels only. The micro HDMI connectors may also be an option.
Same, would love to see a decent four channel usb DAC for 3.1. Not many options currently...thinking Motu M4, Sound blaster x4 or maybe two DACs, like 2 x PO100.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Same, would love to see a decent four channel usb DAC for 3.1. Not many options currently...thinking Motu M4, Sound blaster x4 or maybe two DACs, like 2 x PO100.
Standard flex is 4 channels with a USB input?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

kadajawi

Any chance they will also offer a 3, or 4 channel version so people who only need 2.1 (a true 2.1 using the 3rd channel for the subout) don't have to pay for 5 extra channels that will idle from day 1 to day infinity...? As far as I know, no one is doing a 3 channel dac with HDMI input that can be used with Dirac Live DLBC PC standalone version. I have been searching for one before I pay for the DLBC license. There are the likes of the MOTU M4 but those are really for the pro applications.
The product is niche enough as it is. Adding another version, supporting it, writing software for it, adds cost. For something that is even more niche and sells in the tens of units. That will drive up the cost like crazy, far more than having too many channels.

I mean, why are AV pre amps far more expensive than the much more capable AVRs? Economies of scale.

We can all be glad that there is even going to be the Flex HT... there's a reason why no other company is developing something like that.

zuker81

I just received a response from MiniDSP that despite having the HDMI eARC input "Flex HT supports eARC but no auto ON/OFF feature." I was under the impression that eARC functionality would imply basic CEC support for putting the device in and out of standby. So i'm confused on how the Flex HT is supposed to be cleanly integrated into a home theater system when you still have to use its own remote to bring it out of standby, save for leaving it on constantly.

Has anyone solved for this with one of the existing Flex models?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Has anyone solved for this with one of the existing Flex models?
You could use a power strip with Main/Follow, or sometimes called Master/Slave function:
4007123611867_1159490936_A007_detail.jpg

The TV is plugged into the Main socket, and once its power consumption drops to standby levels, all Follow sockets are switched off.
When the Main power consumption increases, all Follow sockets are turned on again.

You may want to make sure though that the Flex HT turns on all the way when power is restored, instead of first going into Standby.

zuker81

once its power consumption drops to standby levels, all Follow sockets are switched off.
I've definitely seen these, but I'd really like to avoid forcibly cutting power to the unit on a daily basis, that seems like a recipe for problems... are you currently doing this for your Flex?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd really like to avoid forcibly cutting power to the unit on a daily basis, that seems like a recipe for problems... are you currently doing this for your Flex?
I do not currently own a Flex.

bungle

I've definitely seen these, but I'd really like to avoid forcibly cutting power to the unit on a daily basis, that seems like a recipe for problems... are you currently doing this for your Flex?
I do that for my Genelecs 8050/7070, and a lot of other components. I have been doing so for about 20 years. With zero problems. Pre/Pro to standby and rest will stop getting current. Wake up the pre/pro and speakers turn on.

ARNiTECT

I have high hopes for this Flex HT product.

My current complex DSP setup is great for 7.1 surround, but for stereo music, there is more detail / clarity going direct from Source > DAC > Power amp.

My complex DSP route: Source > Cambridge Audio CXUHD (process bitstream to LPCM) > nanoAVR HD (bass management, routing, compression) > nanoAVR DL (Dirac <500Hz) > Meridian HD621 (HDMI to SPDIF) > 4x Topping E30 DACs (volume using 4x IR repeater) > Power amps

If the detail is still there using Source > CXUHD > Flex HT > Power amp, with BM, Dirac etc enabled, then I'd be very happy!

DavidK442

Forum Donor
I just bought a Flex last Christmas. A perfect solution except for the need to use an HDMI audio extractor. Now this!
IMG_3474.gif

Thorskin

Do I understand correctly that I can finally get rid of my AVR and just use my TV + Shield + 5 Genelecs + this minidsp Flex HT? I would love this to be true, it would allow me to get rid of my TV cabinet and just mount everything to the back of my TV. It would be much more energy efficient than my current setup too.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I understand correctly that I can finally get rid of my AVR and just use my TV + Shield + 5 Genelecs + this minidsp Flex HT?
No, natively the shield does not do any decoding of surround formats. It’s passed though to the AVR. The Flex does not do any decoding, it needs 7.1 channel LPCM. Some Apple may support some audio format decoding, something like Plex probably. But for streaming services, your stuck with stereo. If you want a simple solution, get an AppleTV 4K.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do I understand correctly that I can finally get rid of my AVR and just use my TV + Shield + 5 Genelecs + this minidsp Flex HT? I would love this to be true, it would allow me to get rid of my TV cabinet and just mount everything to the back of my TV. It would be much more energy efficient than my current setup too.
This may be an option. In contrast to the Flex HT, it can decode popular surround formats.
No analog output though, so you'd have to get AES67 or DANTE compatible speakers (Genelec makes some)

Left

From my readings of the forums, Kodi in the Shield can decode into various multichannel but not yet Atmos or other virtualized formats.

jaakkopetteri

MiniDSP people told me by email that they expect to release the Flex HT in a week or so and the accompanying manual will answer these questions :)

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Bwt, does anybody have an idea about what could be the cost of the multichannel Dirac licence for the flex HT Vs the stereo one ?
For 2x4hd and Flex, the stereo one has always been 200$.
I have a Flex DL and I am really interested by the Flex HT as my internet TV box does bitstream decoding to PCM.

Top Bottom