• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have purchased alot of MiniDSP products over the years and here are my concerns:

1) it's using the same DSP chip as the Flex with 4 outputs, which is the same DSP chip in the 2x4 HD, so don't expect miracles in terms of processing. this is incredibly disappointing

2) It will not be competetively priced, If this thing is not significantly cheaper (without Dirac) than the Denon X3800 (or the X2800 for that matter) then I don't think anyone should be interested.

3) You might not be able to program the device to advertise itself as 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 capable, and since it's not capable of downmixing or upmixing this might ruin the experience for anyone with a setup smaller than 7.1.

4) There is no way to test whether your TV is going to work as intended as a decoder, that means you need too buy from a local reseller with a very generous return policy.

5) 8 outputs is a little on the low side for me, I kind of like to aim at minium 9 outputs so you get to choose between 5.4 or 7.2.

6) No promises (or outputs) to support DLBC in the future.

7) the Apple TV does not support LPCM output and it's the biggest provider of multichannel music at the moment (there is nothing else to be honest), which makes point number 4 even more problematic.

Unless you're a gamer looking to get the audio processing out of the PC and include your consoles while you're at it and don't want to deal with a bulky AVR then I don't see this product working perfectly for you without some sort of compromise.
Apple TV does output LPCM.

withoutsuit

With eARC the tv will pass through the audio. Connect your Roku, NVidia Shield, ATV, Firestick et al to the TV, then connect the eARC port on the TV to the miniDSP. TV becomes the switcher. BTW, HDMI is limited to 8 channels in LPCM, but can pass as many bitstream channels as your ATMOS receiver requires. So, no even if it had more channels, it could not be a substitute for an ATMOS, DTS-X, Auro 3D AV receiver.
So the device is not usable with atmos, in fact?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple TV does output LPCM.
For stereo only.

You have three four options.

1) bitstream (Atmos or LPCM)

2) don't enable change format but disable Dolby atmos (7.1 LPCM ?)

2) Change format -> Dolby Digital 5.1

3) Change format -> Stereo

Last edited:

Joffy1780

For stereo only.

You have three options.

2) Change format -> Dolby Digital 5.1

3) Change format -> Stereo
Not quite see my posts here.

bungle

LPCM is not bitstream. But I think there is a trick that is Dolby MAT 2.0. So audio goes with LPCM, but object data goes through too as metadata. In case of miniDSP it gets LPCM, but does not understand the metadata, which may or may not be fine, depending on situation and setup.

Dolby MAT encodes TrueHD or Digital Plus bitstreams and transmits the audio data to an AV receiver or soundbar via an HDMI cable. The final output combines lossless PCM audio with Dolby Atmos metadata

I think AppleTV does always this MAT thing, and never passthrough the Atmos as Bitstream, but I may be incorrect on this. Also I am not sure what the AVRs do, e.g. if you have 3.1 setup, does it do somekind of downmixing, or just ignore channels that you don't have. I guess the +10db treatment for sub LFE channel can be done with minidsp.

Last edited:

dougi

Which TV are we talking about?
My samsung does when earc used by default for internal sources. Need to set lpcm for external devices either on them or in tv earc settings

Joffy1780

Yeah it didn't cross my mind that i can disable dolby atmos and not engage change format.

Did you get 7.1 music out of Apple music with this strategy?
I don't have Apple Music I'm afraid. If there is a free trial which allows access to multichannel, I'll give it a try after work later and I'll let you know how I get on.
It outputs multichannel PCM when playing through VLC app (Wish You Were Here Immersion edition)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have Apple Music I'm afraid. If there is a free trial which allows access to multichannel, I'll give it a try after work later and I'll let you know how I get on.
It outputs multichannel PCM when playing through VLC app (Wish You Were Here Immersion edition)
There is a free trial with both dolby atmos and lossless. let me know if you end up testing it.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also I am not sure what the AVRs do, e.g. if you have 3.1 setup, does it do somekind of downmixing, or just ignore channels that you don't have. I guess the +10db treatment for sub LFE channel can be done with minidsp.

Yes they downmix, except for the LFE channel which gets discarded according to Dolby.

diyhobby

am I getting it right please let me know with FlexHT and Apple TV/ FireStick and 8 channel power Amplifier I can have Atmos home theatre not needing to buy a AV reciever? I find AV recievers end of life clunky and un intutive

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally agree! Us 2.1 or 2.0 plus subs people need looking after next! :(

I only need 2.1 (instead of 2.0) because I want to use DLBC. At the moment, DL PC standalone version cannot benefit from DLBC (Dirac with bass control) in they don't have a real 2.1 (that the .1 is independent, not in parallel with the two channels), or a 3 channel dac, and I am not aware of anyone making a 3 or even 4 channel dac except some expensive sound card types.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When using earc, my Yamaha rxa2a always reports inputs are pcm from my Samsung tv. If only arc, the tv produces bitstream.
How many channels does it report?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure, as the switch offers the choice of passthrough/2.0/5.1? I would assume it has the ability to downmix in that case otherwise the switch is useless.
That is the choice of handling not what is available in the source.

bungle

But I think there is a trick that is Dolby MAT 2.0. So audio goes with LPCM, but object data goes through too as metadata. In case of miniDSP it gets LPCM, but does not understand the metadata, which may or may not be fine, depending on situation and setup.
I stand corrected. It looks like MAT processing changes audio to LPCM, but you will still need MAT support in receiving end as well (LPCM is inside MAT frames), which miniDSP probably lacks.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So close. I hope one day a model is released with Dolby decoding.
Agreed, Would like to see a good performing AV preamp with balanced outputs (TRS OK). Some might find this useful but without onboard dolby Atmos decoding I don't see a use case for me (and I'm a miniDSP user with and SHD studio, Flex balanced, and nanoDigi)

kyyul

This is an intriguing little product. For my use case it seems perfect. I run 2 sets of left and right speakers. One for movies and one for music. I also run just 2 surround speakers but have (embarrassingly) 3 or 4 subs going all at the same time depending on time of day and mood. My anthem has been showing its age and i think I’d be ready to jump ship. I’ve been using a 2x4HD for years and years now.

Top Bottom